looking for hand rubbed DV-52 maintenance advice.

Reaction score
Looking for some maintenance advice. I bought a DV-52 about a year ago off Ebay. The guitar has a hand rubbed finished. It wasn't in the best shape when I got it, and I really didn't baby it ever since I got it. I like playing it so I usually just leave it out in the living room so I can grab it when ever I want. Now I am going to put some new strings on it and want to do a thorough cleaning. I couldn't find much information on how to care for guitar with hand rubbed finish. Can someone give me some tips/advice on what products and what procedure to clean and condition it? Thanks.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
WYWW,
Welcome to LTG... I'm afraid I don't have any HR Guilds... but am sure someone will be along with advice soon.

jcwu

Reaction score
DV52 HR finish - my introduction to the world of Guild!

This is probably not much help, but in the almost 20 years that I've owned mine, I've not really cleaned it except to wipe dust off the headstock when I change strings/ That's one the things I like about the HR finish - relatively low maintenance. I don't ride her hard, but she's been to the beach, to outdoor trips, and the finish is holding up fine.

My two cents!

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's what Hideglue posted a few years ago:
Hand-rubbed finish (HR) was/ is a waxy paste that was applied (foam brushed) in multiple coats over a period of time. Less durable than a sprayed on finish (and also a much less involved process) -- It is typically used on low-end models

Satin finish was sprayed on (just as lacquer or poly). Some sort of weird agent thingy interacted as the finish would dry to become a low-sheen (satin) finish.

I think the (not HG) D52s are satin but not handrubbed.

Markus :smile:

jcwu

Reaction score
I think the (not HG) D52s are satin but not handrubbed.

I don't know if there were satin DV52's, but I know for sure there are HR DV52's because I own one. And now with WWYW's post, we know there are two. :)

The finish is definitely different than satin (I also own a satin finish Guild) - they are like night and day. It almost feels like it's bare wood with no finish.

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hmm, I have a not-HG-DV52 too and what I assume to be a HR Tacoma DV4.
No offense taken here, but I'm still not sure 'bout the DV52.

jcwu

Reaction score
Oh, by the way, I wasn't saying I doubted that there are satin DV52s (I'm sure there are), just that mine is definitely not satin. :)

Here's a shot of my label, showing the HR designation:

sticker.jpg

And this one shows the finish scraped away around the soundhole. I was hoping it'd be easy to see the difference between satin and HR, but the photo doesn't show it well:

soundhole.jpg

Maybe if I have time this afternoon I'll try to take a shot of my HR DV52 and satin JV52 side by side.

plaidseason

Reaction score
I own a Westerly DV4 with the hand-rubbed finish. I love it, but it's one of the least durable finishes ever.

As far as cleaners and polishes go, I've used both Ken Smith's Pro Polish, and the Godin guitar polish with good results.

Thanks,

Chris

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes and advices. My DV-52 definitely has hand-rubbed finish:

3f5a3fe81a9704924f8465375c999650

Sounds like the care for hand rubbed finish is not dramatically different from Matte finish. I'll look into Ken Smith Pro and Godin guitar polish. Thanks guys!