What an alembic bass in mid-America?

idealassets

Reaction score
I am in a band that has rotating members in it. Tonight I met a new bass player for the first time, while I was on drums. He soon revealed that he was new here from Napa Valley area of N. Cal. so far, so good.

I immediately noticed his bass playing was wonderful to drum to. It also fit right in with vocals and the grand piano on the first song. Not wanting to call anyone's attention to his great playing, I just had to blurt out "where did you get that bass?" -Answer: from Alembic when I was in California. When my drooling stopped I asked that the nut and bridge were brass? "Yes, I like that for the sustain" he said.

OK my night was made for the next 2 hours:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful bass.

I saw a nice looking Alembic bass used and newly arrived at my local GC for something like $1300 a couple of years ago and passed on it. Thought about it more and went back a couple of hours later to buy it, and it was gone. One that got away...

idealassets

Reaction score
Sandy, this Alembic bass is walnut with a maple neck. He has owned it for a long time, and mentioned something like "got it for around $1800 in the 1990's" (I think). This bass had one of the best bass tones that I have heard lately. I'm still blown away that he did not show up with the usual Fender P'bass, just like everyone else does here locally.

Craig

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sandy, this Alembic bass is walnut with a maple neck. He has owned it for a long time, and mentioned something like "got it for around $1800 in the 1990's" (I think). This bass had one of the best bass tones that I have heard lately. I'm still blown away that he did not show up with the usual Fender P'bass, just like everyone else does here locally.

Craig

Are you saying there's something wrong with P-Basses Craig?

77997_10203154732255086_676365655_o.jpg

I've owned mine since 1974, and love it even more with the J neck and Lindy Fralin pickup installed. My go to rig most of the time.

idealassets

Reaction score
Sandy,
Pbass is OK, especially when the bass player is good. I am impressed that you have owned it that long. I would like to have held on to a great set of 1960's Ludwig white pearl drums and all Zildjian cymbols that I got all for $600 in 1973, but I let it go for whatever reason, sold it for a profit as I recall.

I just like seeing the rare and unusual, especially owned by a player that knows exactly what he likes. While not playing drums I play lead guitar in the band. I just bought a Fender Telecaster Thinline 72' re-issue w/ 2 Humbuckers that I just love, and use it almost always in the band. Hey, don't laugh too hard, but what I lack in actual lead guitar ability I make up for with shiny chrome and effects pedals...

I also like Fender gear, and hope that I don't get hooked on them too severely.

Last edited:

bassman10096

Reaction score
Are you saying there's something wrong with P-Basses Craig?

77997_10203154732255086_676365655_o.jpg

I've owned mine since 1974, and love it even more with the J neck and Lindy Fralin pickup installed. My go to rig most of the time.
Oh. Does Fender make basses too? (I couldn't resist that after all the crap I've heard about Gibson and Guild basses - LOL)

Reaction score
Very nice. I got mine in 84 - it is like this one but mine is birdseye maple. You can tell the Entwistle influence with the amazing high end it can put out - though it does sacricie some low end thunder with those settings. But - control the switches right and you can get about anything. I know that "It is all in the fingers" - but some basses give the fingers more room to express.

Not knocking the Guilds of course - love the Pilot I got. Wish I found one back in the 80s.