Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bob Weir and his Guild F50

Jerry Garcia played a Guild Starfire III from 1965-1967 and this guitar was used by Jerry on the Grateful Dead's first studio album.

Quote Originally Posted by mavuser View Post
    Jerry Garcia played a Guild Starfire III from 1965-1967 and this guitar was used by Jerry on the Grateful Dead's first studio album.
    Uncredited dubs on Surrealistic Pillow, too.
    He was only mentioned as "spiritual advisor" 'cause he was contracted to Warner not RCA.
    All of a sudden I realize, I bet the harmonics on "Today" are that axe.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Don't they mean "spiritual supplier"??

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Don't they mean "spiritual supplier"??
    walrus
    BUT he hated every minute of it.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

What he's playing is one of 5 or perhaps a run of 6 F50-R Special (on label) made in late spring or early summer of 1970. As the story was told to myself and Dan Murphy (who purchased the one I now own) at a music store in Denver in Dec '75, that they were ordered for the Grateful Dead for the 'Festival Express' tour, and another went to John Denver. Until I saw this photo and video today, I though mine was the only one with that rosewood inlay on the Artist Award neck. Images of the F50 Bob Weir was playing during Festival Express show a more traditional inlay. Inside the top of mine is stamped Apr 23 1970, so obviously it was assembled sometime after that. Another difference is that mine has a thin double pickguard, and a two piece Brazilian back (flat). A few years later (I think '77) we were doing a festival at Cal State Long Beach and Jerry Garcia was holding court backstage in the girl's gym (the green room) on banjo, and we asked him about the guitar and he acknowledged the Guilds. Keep in mind it was the '70's so I don't remember much else. The guitar has unbelievable tone and volume and I'll post some photos soon a I get time to figure out how.

Quote Originally Posted by F50-R Special View Post
    What he's playing is one of 5 or perhaps a run of 6 F50-R Special (on label) made in late spring or early summer of 1970. As the story was told to myself and Dan Murphy (who purchased the one I now own) at a music store in Denver in Dec '75, that they were ordered for the Grateful Dead for the 'Festival Express' tour, and another went to John Denver. Until I saw this photo and video today, I though mine was the only one with that rosewood inlay on the Artist Award neck. Images of the F50 Bob Weir was playing during Festival Express show a more traditional inlay. Inside the top of mine is stamped Apr 23 1970, so obviously it was assembled sometime after that. Another difference is that mine has a thin double pickguard, and a two piece Brazilian back (flat). A few years later (I think '77) we were doing a festival at Cal State Long Beach and Jerry Garcia was holding court backstage in the girl's gym (the green room) on banjo, and we asked him about the guitar and he acknowledged the Guilds. Keep in mind it was the '70's so I don't remember much else. The guitar has unbelievable tone and volume and I'll post some photos soon a I get time to figure out how.
    It would be great to see the pics! And welcome to the LTG forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp, '70 Superstar Combo

Welcome to LTG F-50R Special.

Try imgur for hosting photos. Photobucket is right out unless you pay them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    I am going to hang onto this little F-20 and play it as a reminder that life is sometimes rough, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the damage you accrue along the way defines who you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcellis
    Growing old is a bitch.
    Guild 12-strings:
    1978 G-312NT (Westerly) - "Franzz",
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Non-Guild 12s:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

I want that maple six string Garcia is playing.
    1978 Guild D-40
    1998 Vagabond Travel Guitar http://www.stringsmith.com
    2015 Guild OM-140CE Sunburst Westerly Collection

I owned a '67 arched-back Brazilian rosewood "F-50 ROSEWOOD" guitar that I sold to a fellow in Europe who had its "F-412 SPEC" twin. We correspond every year.

That guitar had a replacement soundboard after an "accident" when his girlfriend el-kabong'd the thing... But that's another story. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    I am going to hang onto this little F-20 and play it as a reminder that life is sometimes rough, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the damage you accrue along the way defines who you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcellis
    Growing old is a bitch.
    Guild 12-strings:
    1978 G-312NT (Westerly) - "Franzz",
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Non-Guild 12s:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

Although the Dead's acoustic orientated album, Workingman's Dead was quite a departure from their prior Anthem of The Sun. Weir's F50r and Garcia's Martin D28 created some very original and possibly trend setting sounds. It may have originated from Jerry's very early folk music days, as well as the early days of the Jorma Kaukonan/ Janis Joplin acoustic folk duo.

Soon after that many similar sounding albums appeared from Chris Christoferson, Jim Croce, etc. But it was that psychadelicized pedal steal in the Dead's American Beauty album, and some more nice acoustic creations, that added the frosting to the cake. How did they ever come up with all that?

I usually invested in all the Airplane, Grape, and Fish albums first; as I recall the Dead had mostly that all male PigPen orientated drone in many of their vocals, but not to despair, soon to follow came yet the next incarnation of Keith and Donna- never ceasing to amaze everyone. Much later I began to search where I had heard that Donna voice before, only to finally discover it was the self same Muscle Shoals, AL recorded voice of the backing vocals in Elvis's Suspicious Minds, and Percy Sledge- When A Man Loves A Woman. (I hope I am not going back too far)
    Last edited by idealassets; 11-28-2017 at 05:48 PM.

1978 Tama Drums (mahogany)
    2007 Guild D55
    2010 Guild F512
    2011 Rickenbacker 360/12

LMG III