G-212 from the 70ies vs. D-212 from the 80ies - what´s the difference

Reaction score
G-212 from the 70ies vs. D-212 from the 80ies - what´s the difference

What´s the difference between a 70ies G-212 12-string and D-212 12-string?

I am looking for one (preferred from the 70ies) in very good or mint condition.

Kind regards
Florian

Neal

Reaction score
Hi, Florian, and welcome.

The biggest difference between the G-212 and D-212 is the back. The G-212 was essentially a 12-string version of the D-40, built with a braced, flat, solid mahogany back.

The D-212 was the 12-string version of the D-25, built with an unbraced, arched laminate mahogany back. The arched back on the D-212 was built used the same techniques and equipment as the top-of-the-line F-50, starting in the early 1950's, so please do not confuse "laminate" with "cheap". The D-212 was renamed the D-25-12 in 1986.

I own an '81 D-212 and it is just awesome. I have not had the pleasure of playing a G-212, but if it is anything like a D-40, there is reason to believe that it captures the same sweet mahogany vibe.

Neal

Reaction score
Thank you!

Dear Neal,

thank you very much for the detailed information!

I had the chance to visit the Westerly Guild plant in 1992 (as an editor of a German musicians´ magazine) - it was a great experience to see the high level of the mechanical skills back then ...

Kind regards
Florian

Reaction score
Dear Neal,

thank you for the detailed information.

I had the chance to visit the Westerly Guild plant in 1992 - a great experience back then.

Florian

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG Florian! As an owner of a 1977 G212 that is in mint condition, I can affirm Neal's suspicion that they do carry on that sweet Mahogany vibe. Very warm and ringing tones with a pronounced mid-range tone. Amazing string response and ease of play-ability. If you want the driving 12 string sound she can do that just fine, But really comes to life the softer you play her. Wonderful Nuances in the softer registers and one of the most comfortable 12 string necks I have ever played. If you get the opportunity to play one, Don't pass it up. The top on mine has aged so beautifully. The fit and finish is on par with any top of the line guitars from any era. Just beautiful to look and as wonderful to play. Here is a link to my New Guitar Day Post with 2 sets of pictures included. And Once Again, Welcome To The Forum! Lots of Great Folks here always willing to help with any info needed.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showth...is-Up-Locally-Today-77-G212-NT&highlight=G212

Reaction score
What a wonderful G-212 ! Congratulation, txbumper57 ! That´s what everybody´s dreaming of - a clean vintage guitar out of a time capsule ...

Thank you for your information. This forum is really great - good to be here ! :smile:

Vintage Guild 12-strings are extremely rare here in Germany, but there are two guitars offered by two dealers in the Frankfurt / Rhein-Main area - I will check them and tell you. :smile:
(a 1979 G-212 which is just checked by a luthier: http://www.ebay.de/itm/GUILD-D-212-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
and a 1983 D-212 which looks very good to me: http://shop.guitarpoint.de/de/Guild/1983-Guild-D-212-/-12-string-Natural)

I also played a nice G-312 from the 70ies some weeks ago - it was very loud and had a good and clear sound but I think for the 12-string I prefer the sweet mahagony sound you describe.

There must be some photos in my archives from my trip to the Guild factory in Rhode Island 23 years ago - I will try to find them ... It was a beautiful business trip and I was cordially received by the Guild people. Unfortunately we did not keep in touch.

Florian

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Those are both good looking guitars Florian. I think the G212 if it is in as good of shape as it looks to be is priced in the proper range for a similar guitar Stateside. The D212 seems a bit overpriced but I'm not up to speed on European prices on these guitars either. Normally you can find an extremely nice D212 or D25-12(Same Guitar) for around $800-$900 US dollars stateside. The G212's tend to go for more being all solid wood and depending on condition. The G312 you mentioned is a wonderful guitar. Very Loud Tight and Focused sound with an edge to it. The G212 has a much sweeter ring to it. If you have the opportunity to play both the G212 and the D212, I would before making a decision. But personally I don't think you can get a better sounding Dread Shaped Mahogany 12 string than a G212. They really are something special. Good Luck in your search and look forward to hearing how it all turns out!

Reaction score
Dear txbumper57, dear Neal, Joe and davismanLV,

after many months of settling things in business I return to LTG - with pictures of my 1979 Guild G-212 I bought last May from a dealer here in Germany. Thanks to all of you again - you helped me a lot to decide in favor of this wonderful guitar. It´s an incredible instrument - with sweet and full tone, very inspiring! I brought it to a luthier to change the saddle, bridge and string pins for parts of bone, and now the tone is even better :single_eye:

Attached I send some pictures.

Warm regards
Florian

AABoc5wG1GVP9a3xq0uBAnR-a

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Very Nice Florian! What a great looking guitar. I'm glad you got the opportunity to get the one you wanted. If it sounds anywhere near as good as it looks you have found Keeper for sure! Wishing you well through this Holiday Season and play it in good health my friend!:single_eye: