D-140 GAD vs D-140 Westerly Collection

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification! Strange that the board (which forum software does it use?) doesn't work that way by default ... hope that Joe (@killdeer43) sees that I answered him! (is there any way you can "tag" another member to let them know they've been mentioned?)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Forum software is at the bottom of page Vbulletin http://www.vbulletin.com/en/about-us/

My post went through the same thing messed with my head until I checked out ok by the guardians just 2 days all posts posted in the right place/order but I was replying before they posted and wonder where they were lol all good now.

;)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
checked out ok by the guardians

We usually use the term "Moderators" but I'm thinking Guardians has a nice ring to it. Gonna order a costume now.

geezermanfinal1.jpg

from here.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Lmao that's a bad a$$ suit haha .. 🍺 All hail the Guardians 💪🏻

Reaction score
That F-55 is what I want!! Not sure I have the patience to wait until the summer of 2015. I think Guild could do a much better job of communicating via their website.
What is really odd, is that if you click on dealers, all it really does is point you to music stores in your area of choice, not necessarily a Guild dealer.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That F-55 is what I want!! Not sure I have the patience to wait until the summer of 2015. I think Guild could do a much better job of communicating via their website.
What is really odd, is that if you click on dealers, all it really does is point you to music stores in your area of choice, not necessarily a Guild dealer.

It is possible they just are not allowed to say much right now. My guess is they are still making high level, partner board level decisions by the key stakeholders. Or, California is just taking forever approving the manufacturing license etc...I am hoping for the latter, as the former could not be a good thing...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It is possible they just are not allowed to say much right now.
I don't think it's a question of "allowed" as much as "Don't know for sure", due to:
Or, California is just taking forever approving the manufacturing license etc...I am hoping for the latter, as the former could not be a good thing...
I don't think "Key stakeholders" are holding things up, or it never would have gotten this far.
In situations like this, saying nothing is often wiser than saying something you may have to recant several times.
I can't remember anything good ever coming out of that scenario, it just feeds ridiculous rumor mills.
I suspect they'll at least be current Cordoba dealers.
The dealer network thing may still be being built.
Now THAT might require confidentiality until formal agreements are signed.
We've already seen evidence of their rebuildng the Authorized Service Center list.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For those of you on Facebook and belong to the Guild Guitars group ( https://www.facebook.com/guildguitars?ref=br_rs ,
a comment appeared under one of the threads from Guild, which said "Our USA factory is almost up and running in Oxnard, CA! Keep your eyes peeled for more announcements." Even if you don't have a Facebook account, if you click on the link you'll see the content.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Being new to this forum I am looking for some information. I am a Gretsch and Guild guitar fan. I personally think Guild makes a great guitar. I have a D-55 which is a fabulous guitar. I hate to take it out to knock around with so looking for another one. Can anyone tell me the difference between a GAD D 140 and a Westerly D 140. I have an opportunity to buy a used Westerly. I noticed the head stock does not have the Chesterfield logo, It just says Guild. I have seen pictures of this model show both ways. All my guitars are American made, guess I am old school. I may give this one a try as I believe it is made in China. Any input on this will be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the thread and am a Gretsch and Guild fan. I have the opportunity to buy a Westerly D 140 guitar and too am looking for the difference between the GAD and Westerly. The one I am looking at only has Guild on the headstock, not the Chesterfield. How can you tell the difference? All my guitars and American made. I know this one is made in China. Are they a well made guitar. Thanks Bob

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Duplicate posts are a deliberate moderation decision on my part because content was not identical.

The GADs were the first MIC Guilds. The nomenclature has varied but for awhile a model number that started with a 1 indicated MIC. Then, somewhat to the annoyance of members here, the MIC Guilds were re-branded as the Westerly Collection. So, to be clear your are trying to compare the first generation of MIC Guilds with the the most recent one, correct? That contribution made someone who might have an answer will be along soon.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the thread and am a Gretsch and Guild fan. I have the opportunity to buy a Westerly D 140 guitar and too am looking for the difference between the GAD and Westerly. The one I am looking at only has Guild on the headstock, not the Chesterfield. How can you tell the difference? All my guitars and American made. I know this one is made in China. Are they a well made guitar. Thanks Bob

HI Bob welcome aboard.
Both the GAD series and the Westerly Collection guitars are MIC.
Quite a while ago, maybe a year or so, when that series (Westerly Collection) was just starting to ship, one of our members was fortunate enough to catch a picture of a QC card accompanying one of the new guitars that was identical to those that came with the GADs, so I for one at least am satisfied that both types come from the same factory in China.
Fender never identified it (that I saw), neither has Cordoba for that matter, we discovered it through some detective work a few years back, assisted in particular by our member StarfireIV1967 (Ralf).
Recently a member presented evidence that in fact Guild in Oxnard and even Ren Ferguson himself had input into the design of the Westerly Collection instruments.
I've forgotten his name (so can't search for that thread easily) and my apologies in advance if I've "misremembered" that detail, but it was such a surprise to me that it "stuck", so I'm pretty sure of it.
The original GAD's were good enough to earn grudging respect from even some hardcore traditionalists here, and the Westerly Collection instruments have been getting similar reviews from new owners/members.
I've never tried one and I was one of the "traditionalists", but I have to respect the weight of opinion being so overwhelmingly favorable as to their price to quality value.
Hope that helps!

PAPADON

Reaction score
Well she arrived and I couldn't be more pleased. Never played the GAD version but I've played a 72 D40 since it was new and this one sounds every bit as good.

30pkYMFWxizvndbAJ-HSoIn2glv_oUg5FrUsvYCulpKGnzaY-bA0_jeu6fyO1jD_hxg37w5eglSNLgkxZRTy4VNRjuPdKPOj2_MFcqVqBzQ7IYE2ltBoAhelMamBCOEeKmh9DHACno3COFd3D55Nb5UuPgjHJrIsPLnXwhawVTB6uvLc93es6SW0VamMGHrmA6NK8TE8ASIbY4bdnnY-2BpgZzt8M4AaZtnvEuAvs48fslQJ1lwrd5e9fnZYc75gZojbmbQkN7kKxSJjN-GDCQuRHIW0_osl9U8UTaN5rY0Ukpaa1PMMrcov1t3chODMwNRxzxnEPWC8odMSux_fXxyheYuVQygfz2m8poHPtLmDcg8qeP_dAnfsmELp7yMCggOwfhGxgsuxw3KCQsDBtprOHiSiBIzOWGalWz4sFAmLzALXYa5lpyZCjV4Etb3XBNmz0PZGX5emZZmHVy8vUBKlkssQUbsJnhMfMZzzpDqa2l_DHpfgI2N4PqKNNebFsIKYfBKDpWh296XA62LgfnlCzpg7Zbw8tvZoaxFdglWjajUeuFgYXVv0Q8V-C9t8tCIGCsMlNxKvVE_FnvVbvtOh3-vHgc-KRnIA-H3yMrNWY-6Uz5dKMHYcziKLoFwnr64qzWDdlxAOweaHbq1XkHBRUoB6F9M=w505-h870-no

CpyNyJUOxUzGufqKOeQdpBA0t9rFrLuNbVKocDQYUxKcm1Lp5kBxFT8X-aJxBRNR4nEtUZPNq4invK1H-VxHCcgjMW4cIfF3u_th9SEeOWsa7vRtnH0-Nu2DoPxl0LFIkm2rQBaFr_3gVDobByJEXz3br4Kkv3qvVemPiyP3uhbKbxJFfK90kB989HFuOCo2vrLORdg-v66dJHVJQ_dePEBNjSq7vpU2Gj88SsbgPIDWGQNiHHfeqj2R-ZZYt177kJSI5oAOHC5W8ZGsfVdAQXMDFgElrbJPhak807dUNSkZEUefSkoMOBtTSSjDRCMEdPLbFj6CrvnnXVEwF8Qyh8HS1x1-ZMmvrsGc90T4w0ryipq6KWAnJQEWw7633Iuc9FJ57FR45YLH4FCi2q1-L44Vl4YUapGfHukhBgEQx8O_H1Bsa6yc52Xnytd7EHezPXdt_7HsBYWjtFw-gfq4QLw8uhzeVHURwhKBrpxNCkEnrmeRKq4_Iah1BbvxpsURVsObVV4N6hyJkx2HL5a1MXPKove1TU6yJrdHKZ1WcbWl2Ds6W_ni-1tVro52OT5tqqOCCUfpJ-5s_B8-9ik4S9qfHgOQ9lpBLtaabdFo6sM7Y3l8AAtshQTO-WtE-sQXDRl5fMsWf72SAWiJzfJv4aDHhXBvAeY=w722-h871-no

EUhhPM4F5alGTYu2dEVOiM8afPnRbSexMuAbZl-zlrY2Pcm-Y2V5pxPqKoWvK1HoWAapiYnciaJQtxRJFwCIbwYPzkfDEs_EAVOzWPJZ0V91d_unsTf4E9Kxt8aSO2_CIEeTcNksaXjb2X5Hmu4mT-i5dAGwBXTF6JaMfLh6rTmtk9tuzsI-vPueyvXEotSq2GWs-YBvmGyVgG4OjW_yoYeB-EBcVIzpFm0V0_65DdK6OBNHZlG7QFm8el77IeO0lx7R4N0CS0fOGqo0GGTYQTvrXWFT0pnOCKujpDcm3l4ezBAbRZlRa6Qu9m9tcfQZSv_GIDzgwjG_6SlOtrmLe3iU83joKVpFtmatqcb3Pygi0paN2c0wZL3qc-p9fEsEGq4bUwAD7dEa5p-OOYnUi_H8cTj-QQOMwOFb1SmR_hGyuWB7ejQj2lp6y7kHb9IEk2_f5dsTwEhMbuAdTal-Tz29-h6_-Vpnya_dkaEP49eDFPoj3b1ZELMQDv2c4nrktQ68Eoz30OtLJR-2p1uPgwRG1iDhdA7H6xBc_u2S2I7Wb6WeWPlIx_bmFTDdv4Lsjex8yxsz9FYznUHqRuW7Op6_gB3fKHkHpuLVNtz3o--iLxZJmH9qXP9qiG_Dm1Bf8x_nK-zdpDOLkgWalZQ1zAYnH12wXSQ=w653-h870-no

Last edited: