just got back from Frankfurt Musik messe and....

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
some hardcore Westerly Guild fans might shake their heads in dusgust at some Guild/Cordoba news. (Frankfurt's Musikmesse is the Euro equivalent to NAMM)

I was at the Cordoba booth, and Guild was well represented, displaying all the same Newark Street guitars they had at NAMM, still a bunch of NH made acoustics, some Orpheums too, no new US production guitars yet, but....

The whole GAD line has been re-done, some new models, new cosmetics, headstocks along the Newark Street line look, Chesterfield inlays,....and in a move I find somewhat, well,...odd......the whole line has been re-christened "THE WESTERLY SERIES".

discuss.... :)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The GAD line is now called "The Westerly Series"?? Doesn't make any sense to me. So when someone now says, "I have a Westerly Guild!" then..... what do they have?? A USA built guitar from the Westerly Factory, or an Asian built guitar? Confusion abounds...... :confusion:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The guitars actually looked nice enough, they looked more like classic Guids than previous Chinese made efforts, and the whole line is all-solid wood, which is great, but yes, I fnd it a strange move too, that will probably only alienate some Guild-lovers. They could have gone with something like "Westerly tribute series" or something like that.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can think of at least one member here that will not sit well with...

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, it seems to fit with use of Newark Street for Asian made instruments. I didn't think that was a good idea, but seemed to be successful. I don't like the idea of a Chinese made "Westerly Series" at all. Maybe a writing campaign with other suggestions is in order. What street was the Westerly shop on? Maybe they can do a street series, for example, inspired by New Hartford could be Greenwood St.
Brad

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
in other news, those stop tailpiece Starfire IV's seem to be official now. I think they'll do really well with those. In over-geeky criticism, I think they could have gone with the diagonal "Guild" stop tailpiece on those, but I realize I'm nitpicking there. They felt and looked really nice.

Also, they didn't have them at the show yet, but the X175 is going to be available in black. Annoying, because I probably have to get one of those eventually because I think an all black big hollowbody is seriously badass looking.

Ren Ferguson was at the show too. I didn't get to talk to him because he looked busy and was in mid-conversation every time I saw him, though I was itching to ask him whether there are going to be USA made archtop electrics again soon-ish, at prices actual musicians can afford. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have no words right now...Gonna do something I do not normally do and just sit back, be patient and wait for the dust to settle.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I can think of at least one member here that will not sit well with...
I can think of at least 2 members, if you include me.
For all the good intentions I'm willing to believe of them, the phrase "shot themselves in the foot" comes to mind.
If they're trying to establish credibility and confidence in their commitment to continuing Guild's historic traditions, labeling an imported guitar with the name of the single most prolific American Guild factory is a huge mistake, "in my not-so-humble opinion".
A HUGE marketing gaffe.
I've said before I'm not an American built purist but I AM a loyalist, and whereas I was willing to be open-minded about "Guild Acoustic Design", I'm not at all open minded about this plan.
NOTHING should confuse Westerly's place and importance in Guild's history.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It IS, at the very least somewhat of a strange move, yes. When the Guild rep I know and was talking to told me enthousiastically, I was a little stumped. (the enthousiastic part I get - it's his job, he's supposed to sell these guitars, and i'm involved in a guitar store...) And realizing he was a European Guild rep not at all involved in any Cordoba decision making, I decided to bite my tongue and not comment on the Westerly name. But I do think it's not going to make Cordoba a lot of new friends in these circles, and agree it's a bit of a marketing gaffe.

jcwu

Reaction score
I am going to be kind, and not assume that they are trying to muddy the Westerly name in an attempt to cloudy the vintage market and make room for the new Oxnard products.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It IS, at the very least somewhat of a strange move, yes. When the Guild rep I know and was talking to told me enthousiastically, I was a little stumped. (the enthousiastic part I get - it's his job, he's supposed to sell these guitars, and i'm involved in a guitar store...) And realizing he was a European Guild rep not at all involved in any Cordoba decision making, I decided to bite my tongue and not comment on the Westerly name. But I do think it's not going to make Cordoba a lot of new friends in these circles, and agree it's a bit of a marketing gaffe.

Well, I can forgive 'me for a mistake, but l can't help but suspect that the typical customer for an imported guitar isn't going to have much comprehension about what the Westerly name means, anyway.
I just don't see where it's actually going to be a sales builder for the imports.
Could even backfire if the potential customer starts researching and finds us, and starts thinking that a used American Guild might be a better buy than a new import....Cordoba, you listenin'?
That was one of the supreme ironies of New Hartford's marketing plans: The biggest competition for new Guilds was used ones..
But hey, if all my guitars are suddenly gonna take 20% hikes in value, maybe I'll start re-thinking the issue...:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, I can forgive 'me for a mistake, but l can't help but suspect that the typical customer for an imported guitar isn't going to have much comprehension about what the Westerly name means, anyway.
Agreed. And to the Cordoba folks, it's proably just a cute new name to put on the revamped GAD line. I'd probably be waving my fist in anger if they'd called it "the authentic Hoboken factory replica series" though. (kidding!)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They call it "The Westerly Collection". Wrong name for a MIC guitar...Newark St. at least was not called the Hoboken Collection, but to call them Westerly Collection is only confusing matters.
From the brochure: "The Westerly Collection pays homage to Guild's early history renowned for exceptional craftsmanship, quality, and the introduction of many beloved Guild acoustics. Inspired by this golden era, all Guild Westerly Collection guitars are build with all solid woods, and include a lightweight Guild case - all at an affordable price."

Guild-Westerly-Collection.png

Anyway, you can browse through the new 16 pages "Westerly Collection" brochure online: http://issuu.com/guildguitars/docs/westerly_catalog_031915_f?e=16051746/12366782
The new headstock design with Chesterfield is visible as are the new OM models.

Ralf

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Agreed. And to the Cordoba folks, it's proably just a cute new name to put on the revamped GAD line.
Well, they did post employment offers for a new marketing director right after the acquisition.
Wonder if the "social media campaign experience" requirement was more important than industry knowledge? (Looks like it, and no snark intended)
And as we've kicked around before, "Westerly series" IS a helluva lot more euphonius than "the Oxnard series".
:highly_amused:

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ralf, "collection", not "series". I stand corrected. Same difference.

Oh boy, looks like the new model names and body shape naming scheme adds to the time honoured Guid tradition of confusing guitar model names/numbers. They got that part "right" at least, in all its wrongness.

jcwu

Reaction score

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's just gonna be confusing. If they're keeping with the Newark Street theme, then figure out what street Westerly was on and name it the "_________ Street Collection". But don't name it by a factory name. Then things get so confusing. This is a really dumb idea..... what a shame.

Why didn't they run it by us first?