Guild A50→→→X50

NYWolf

Reaction score
Ok now, I got A50, looks good and ready for the identity change! Once I get the pickup and the ring, I'm gonna bring it to a luthier, and he will perform the operation. I will post the end result pics once it's done, for now the original A50, hope you enjoy it! It's a really great guitar, nice narrow neck, but fat in profile, the acoustic sound is great, as far as the laminates go... I can wait to see how it's gonna sound with a humbucker though.

Guild%20A50-4_zpsgcgro3lq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Guild%20A50-2_zpsux8ldszr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Guild%20A50-1_zpso3o5ikix.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Guild%20A50-3_zpsmgvhtafb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Guild%20A50_zpsq7z96jd0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Wolf... are you planning to put the pickup in the neck position or the bridge position? The acoustic archtop has the two braces that run the length of the soundboard. They are called "parallel" braces, but they are actually asymmetrical or trapezoidal... starting out close together at the neck block and fanning out toward the end block. The brace on the treble side stays in closer to the bridge, while the brace on the bass side usually flares out a bit more for tonal purposes.

Depending on where you plan to cut for the PU, you want to be mindful of the position of the braces. You can also ask your luthier to install a "sound post" to cut back on any feedback at high volumes.

Bill

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's a really nice blonde one! I had a sunburst, but have not seen many blondes - sweet!

Good luck with the "operation"!

walrus

guildman63

Reaction score
Any consideration of a floating pup that attaches to the side of the neck, and does not require any cutting? It looks like there is more than enough room between the strings and the top just below the neck. For an archtop like that I would think a nice floater would sound incredible. And floating pups need not be single coil. I believe Lindy Fralin makes humbuckers that attach to the neck. I have found floating humbuckers by Lollar and Attila Zoller as well.

Last edited:

NYWolf

Reaction score
Wolf... are you planning to put the pickup in the neck position or the bridge position? The acoustic archtop has the two braces that run the length of the soundboard. They are called "parallel" braces, but they are actually asymmetrical or trapezoidal... starting out close together at the neck block and fanning out toward the end block. The brace on the treble side stays in closer to the bridge, while the brace on the bass side usually flares out a bit more for tonal purposes.

Depending on where you plan to cut for the PU, you want to be mindful of the position of the braces. You can also ask your luthier to install a "sound post" to cut back on any feedback at high volumes.

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill. It will be a neck pickup indeed, and I will copy the exact location from X50 that I already have, since they are identical guitars.

NYWolf

Reaction score
Any consideration of a floating pup that attaches to the side of the neck, and does not require any cutting? It looks like there is more than enough room between the strings and the top just below the neck. For an archtop like that I would think a nice floater would sound incredible. And floating pups need not be single coil. I believe Lindy Fralin makes humbuckers that attach to the neck. I have found floating humbuckers by Lollar and Attila Zoller as well.

I thought about this for a second, but to me floating pickups work better for carved solid top guitars. Once I put flats on it, the acoustic sound will be pretty muted, as on my X50, they both have rather thick maple tops, which makes me think it 'd help with feedback... but if you know any examples of laminated top archtops with a floater that I can hear let me know, I'm curios!

guildman63

Reaction score
A floating pickup on a carved top guitar allows the top to vibrate more freely, which many people prefer. However, the pickup functions the same whether floating or set in, so on a laminate guitar with or without a sound post the choice of floating vs set in should really make no difference tonally. All in my humble opinion, of course.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't mind you cutting into an A-50 so much, it's not exactly a D'Angelico. Still, why didn't you look for another X50 though? Price was right on this one?

Also, of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn't add the unsolliceted "humbuckers are so boring and bland" comment. :) If you're going to customize it anyway....Charlie Christian pickup! Bigsby replica pickup!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey NYwolf, Here is a link to a video of a comparison test between 2 different Floating Humbucker pickups. There are plenty of companies that make them nowadays. I think GFS has a few different ones for very reasonable prices. If you are wanting that Vintage tone they are even making a Reissue Dearmond Rhythm Chief 1000 that came stock on the Newark Street A150's. Lots of choices out there if you don't want to cut up the A50. Whatever you do is your decision, I just wanted to show you a few options. Good luck with whatever you choose!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kVMzUd9yus

Here is the link to the GFS Alnico floating Pickups.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Neck-Mount-Jazz-Guitar-Pickups_c_96.html

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
but if you know any examples of laminated top archtops with a floater that I can hear let me know, I'm curios!
>> Gibson ES 165 Herb Ellis (floater version - laminated maple)

>> Epiphone Regent (try a Peerless - laminated spruce)

>> D'Angelico archtop (current model - laminated spruce)

I'm sure there are others, but these quickly come to mind.

Wouldn't it be nice to have something different,
rather than just duplicating what you have?

Please don't cut into that top without trying a floater!

NYWolf

Reaction score
I don't mind you cutting into an A-50 so much, it's not exactly a D'Angelico. Still, why didn't you look for another X50 though? Price was right on this one?

Also, of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn't add the unsolliceted "humbuckers are so boring and bland" comment. :) If you're going to customize it anyway....Charlie Christian pickup! Bigsby replica pickup!
Well, exactly! Im sorry to say, but as purely aoustic archtop it doesn't sound that great. It sure has a voice of its own, but Im not convinced that floating pickup tone is what Im looking for from this particular one. Ill do more research though, thanks for suggestions guys.

As far as humbucker, I already have x50 with Franz, its beatiful and it gets me all the Charlie Christian tones I need. For this one I was thinking more Jim Hall jazz type of sound. Well see....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say, but as purely aoustic archtop it doesn't sound that great.
Personally I'm just one of those guys who likes to see a nice old all-original piece, weaknesses and all.
It's kind of like, when was the last time you actually saw a 60's Mustang with the original straight 6 and 3 speed?
It'd stand out for its originality, now, after they've all had V-8s stuffed in 'em.
But it IS your guitar.
Keep us posted!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Wolf... you may have inadvertently started this debate by posting such beautiful pictures of your acoustic guitar. The maple veneer that was used on the top is very attractive! And, I really like the color contrast of the blonde top and the light brown back and sides, highlighted by the cream binding. You took some glamour shots!

I have played some laminate archtops over the years, and they always sounded a little "thuddy" to me. Especially compared to solid, carved archtop guitars. I don't have a problem with converting the guitar to electric, as long as the luthier does a clean job. After the pickup surround, jack plate, switch plate and knobs are in place, you shouldn't be able to notice the work that was done.

Below is a link to a thread started by another member who converted a single pickup T-100 to a double PU. He made several entries as he continued to work on the guitar. In the first and second sets of photos you can clearly see how deep he had to cut into the brace to install the HB-1 pickup. And, you can see clearly how he, "jcwu", had to reinforce the brace after cutting into it. The last set of photos (pp. 2) shows the finished product with the pickup surround installed. I think it looks good. Sometimes it can be helpful to see what the process looks like when you go to retrofit an instrument.

Best, Bill

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?180733-T100-Adventures&highlight=t100+adventures

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You guys! You almost convinced me now. Damn!

Forgot to mention the other night that Kent Armstrong makes a 12 pole floating Humbucker as well. I believe there is a video on youtube for it. Search for "Kent Armstrong Floating Pickup" on youtube and you will find several videos of different models offered. Not trying to change your mind, Just trying to give you options. It's a hell of a lot easier to install 4 screws in the base of the neck than to rearrange factory bracing and everything else. Less Headache, Less work, Less Money, Same end result. If you find a Generic pick guard for it you can even put you a volume and tone pot on the pick guard and it will hide all of you wires. Exactly what you want and completely reversible should you ever decide to sell it.:star:

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
Again, on a guitar with a laminated maple top, a set in humbucker and a floating humbucker (assuming identical make of pup) should function and sound the same, but will simply look different. On a carved top guitar the set in pickup will negatively affect acoustic tone relative to a floating pup on that same guitar, but that difference should be less noticeable when plugged in, particularly at higher volumes (for which carved top guitars are less frequently used anyway).

In the end, do what you feel you need to do. The A50 certainly is not the go to guitar for acoustic bliss, and it is not likely to ever be a valuable collectors piece, so adding a set in pickup, while offensive to some peoples sensibilities regarding the modification of a nicely preserved vintage guitar, is not a huge deal.

Whatever you choose to do, we want pictures after the change has been made!