S100: neck specs thru the years

danielesindaco

Reaction score
Hi guys
Apparently some early 70's Gibson SG had a zero neck tilt angle too...check this out:

The link below is about a SG "deluxe" model which has no neck angle and the neck is set proud of the body. Over the years the body had bowed a little and the neck pulled forward making it very difficult to get a low action. At some point the bridge had had 2mm removed from the saddles and also 2mm from the birdge base in an attempt to make the guitar playable. Here under a description of the neck rest job...

http://guitarangel.co.uk/examplesDetail.php?Neck-reset-Gibson-SG-11

Interesting, isn't it?

danielesindaco

Reaction score
A neck reset on a solid body sounds like a scary proposition to me!

Hi Zelja,
No, I am not interested in having the neck of my S100 reset: the new Guild/Cordoba MIK I own are very well designed in my opinion.
I was just surprised that some 70's Gibson SG's had the same problem as old S100s...

Zelja

Reaction score
^^^^
Yeah, I was just speaking in general as well. It's a amazing that just a smidge over 1 degrees on the angle makes such a difference. I think a neck reset on an S100 may be more difficult as it seems to be a sturdier neck joint in general.

Qvart

Reaction score
Hi Qvart. I indeed have a new MIK. It sounds and feel good but I do miss the steeper neck angle. That is why I opened this thread, trying to find out which S100 would fulfill my wishes of having 1 11/16" nut width, medium profile neck (not too slim, that is), and steep angle (Gibson style as you mentioned). Thanks to all members' replies I can conclude I should go for a late 70's (77-79)...even if I find a pity the tailpiece was set closer to the bridge then.

For the rock lovers here is a clip of my new MIK S100 in action during a recent tour in Europe...I got it from the Guild/Cordoba Artists Relations Manager to try out. It is all stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-XWkAWAYNM

Sweet! \m/

That might be your best bet. I like the late '70's models best because the string tension is better, but the '90's reissues and MIKs are decent because of the TOM bridge and string tension. Did you get one with the mini humbuckers or the new HB-1 reissue?

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Great thread. Not much to add here other than to restate that the neck angle on 76's and 77's rock my world!

danielesindaco

Reaction score
Sweet! \m/

That might be your best bet. I like the late '70's models best because the string tension is better, but the '90's reissues and MIKs are decent because of the TOM bridge and string tension. Did you get one with the mini humbuckers or the new HB-1 reissue?

Hi Qvart,
I got the new Cordoba/Guild MIK S100 with humbuckers. I really like it. Referring to my last post and trying to be more precise: the design and feel of these guitars are actually just fine. The action is perfect: the guitar has about 1deg neck angle which works perfectly with the neck proud off the body and TOM.

I am realizing that for me the steeper neck it is more of a visual thing I am used to. I have always played Gibson/Gibson style guitars. So it is like I wanna see certain things...but yesterday I spent many hours going back and forth between my LP Custom, Firebird III and S100. And honestly I could not feel my S100 having a lower-quality in play-ability...so I am not talking about cosmetics, finish, hardware choice, etc. Simply design=>geometry.

Again I do not have experience with vintage S100's so I cannot say how this new S100 compares to the old ones. But it was a good lesson for me. I need to take my time to get to know a new instrument in stead of finding in what it differs from my guitars which I have known sice many years. Zennnnnnnn :)

Last edited:

danielesindaco

Reaction score
We haven't had a review of the new S-100 yet, care to share some more of your thoughts?

Sure, I'll be happy to answer questions about this new Cordoba/Guild S100. Anything in particular you wanna know?

TVeye

Reaction score
Sure, I'll be happy to answer questions about this new Cordoba/Guild S100. Anything in particular you wanna know?

I guess the only thing they changed,from 2013, were the pickups so.........what is your opinion on the new pickups?
Feel free to compare them to your other guitars since it seems like you did some A/B testing recently.

Mike_