Fixit Fixed It

charliea

Reaction score
I bought a '76 F212 and, as usual, got taken to the cleaners. The action, described as "low and easy to play", was an impossible 3/16+ with no adjustment left. The back of the neck, described as "mint", had a couple of strips that looked like old elastic capos had been left on for a few years. Deeply indented scars. Anyway, I liked the guitar except that it was scarred and unplayable, and didn't want to fight with the crooked seller, so I called Fixit (Tom Jacobs). He hopped on his white horse, did a neck reset and refinish, saved the town, got the girl, and rode off into the sunset. I couldn't be happier. The action is now 2/32 with a ton of saddle that should see me through my dotage, the fingerboard is nicely shimmed so there's no dip, and the finish looks like it just came from the factory. When it comes to Guild, Tom's The Man!

_DSC1038a_zps42pklivm.jpg

_DSC1035a_zpssojvaoal.jpg

_DSC1039a_zpshuodjhy5.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Another satisfied customer here. In Tom we trust. :eagerness:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So, I've heard a few people mention Fixit. Bear with my ignorance, which is complete and vast, but is Fixit a repair place? If so, where is it and will he/she let someone mail in a guitar to be worked on? Any info appreciated.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So, I've heard a few people mention Fixit. Bear with my ignorance, which is complete and vast, but is Fixit a repair place? If so, where is it and will he/she let someone mail in a guitar to be worked on? Any info appreciated.

Allow me...

Fixit is the LTG handle for Tom Jacobs, who is the owner of Jacobs Custom Guitars, in Merritt Island, FL. You can find out more, and contact him through his website, which is www.jacobscustomguitars.com.

And, yes. You can send your guitar(s) to him for repair.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

HI Richard: "FIXIT" is Tom Jacobs/ Jacobs Custom Guitars, a member here on the forum who joined about 4 years ago and treated us to a spectacular thread covering a Starfire restoration he was doing:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...7-Guild-Starfire-IV-restoration-(Pics)/page14
He actually worked at Westerly in '78-'79, and recently was recognized by new Guild owners Cordoba Mussic Group as one of their first officially authorized repair centers:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?183377-News-from-Florida/page5&highlight=jacobs
So, yes, you can send guitars to him:
http://www.jacobscustomguitars.com/

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Charlie, that guitar looks beautiful. And a 76!! That's nice. I wish I was in Tom's backyard. I don't need much.... just little adjustments, but... jeeze it must be nice to have that in your backyard. Thanks for sharing the photos!! That guitar looks AMAZING!! :encouragement:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dang!! You're quick!!
Although I did get a little sidetracked revisiting the Starfire thread... :biggrin-new:

Nah, I just happened in at the right time.

But, hey. It's my job. I am the humble assistant at Jacobs Custom Guitars, you know!

Geotrio

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
If I ever need a significant guitar repair, it's going to Fixit. That looks like new charlie, nice guitar.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Well now that we're all clear I'm going to have to find me something to send to Tom. I'm always on the look out for a Guild I can get brought back to life. Sounds as though Tom really IS The Man.

Peace

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well now that we're all clear I'm going to have to find me something to send to Tom. I'm always on the look out for a Guild I can get brought back to life. Sounds as though Tom really IS The Man.

Peace

There is an old F112 at the guitar center in Plano, TX. price is currently 799 but it has a big belly and high action. It needs some love for sure.

chiara1027

Reaction score
Curious.....what is the ballpark price of his neck resets?? In my neck of the woods it runs from $400.00 from a famous Martin repair guy to $200.00 at a local shop.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is an old F112 at the guitar center in Plano, TX. price is currently 799 but it has a big belly and high action. It needs some love for sure.

Pass. That's a bit high, Wood, for a 112 needing work. At $500 it might be worth grabbing and shipping to FL. :)

Props to Tom J. That looks like a great job on Charliea's axe.

CA-35

Reaction score
I wish I was in Tom's backyard.

There are a few extras in our backyards that come with that luxury Tom:

1. The Traffic
2. The Elderly
3. The Heat (not the basketball team, although they suck too)
4. The Dolphins (havent sniffed the playoffs in how many years?)
5. The Marlins (The baseball team not the fish)
6. The Governor (had to throw that in...frono feel free to edit)

So how do we cope you ask? WE'RE ONLY 3 HOURS SOUTH (BY AUTOMOBILE) OF FIXIT!! So there. We got that going for us.