NGD 2003 D55 Anniversary #10 of 50

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
After waiting for what seemed like an eternity, my New Baby arrived this morning in a driving Thunderstorm. What a way to make an entrance. After giving her the Virtuoso Treatment of cleaner and polish I began to put her through her paces. Visually she has some of the most unique grained Brazilian I have ever seen. Not the usual "Presentation" grained brazilian that you often see these days but a very Dark and almost "shifting" grain as you look at it from different angles. I've never seen anything like it before. It even changes colors under different lighting sources which you will see in the pictures below. The Engleman Spruce top has an amazing grain to it with lots of "Silking" as you travel from the upper to lower bout. The mother of pearl used in the triangle inlays is absolutely brilliant in the light. I've never seen so much color change in inlays as they travel from direct light to shadows. The fit and Finish is absolutely on par with my GSR D50 but this is a Heavier Build. I haven't weighed them yet but I suspect the D55 anniversary is at least a pound Heavier than the GSR D50 if not more. Overall appearance is absolutely Stunning. This guitar must have been lost in translation for 13 years as it appears to be in "Untouched" Condition.

Now for the tone, Booming bass notes with unbelievable Clarity, Very Sweet ringing Highs without overpowering, and Long sustaining mids that really project. The string projection is amazing. It only takes a light touch while finger picking to bring out the small nuances of overtones in the guitar. But don't let that fool you, When you start to flat pick her she just comes to life with an amazing balance. I know this Cliche' is overused but it really does sound like striking a key on a Grand Piano. When strumming chords it almost sounds as if you have an Orchestra playing along with you. As far as sustain goes, you can feel the resonance in the neck from the lightest of finger picked notes all the way to a full on vibration when strumming. I really am blown away by the tone of this girl. Completely Different than any D55 I have played. You would think with the Engleman top, that this Guitar and my GSR D50 share, that they would be very similar in tone. While they do have some similarities you can definitely tell them apart by their Distinct Individual sounds. I can only hope that now she has been freed from her 13 year sentence in the basement of a guitar store that she will continue to grow and open up more with time and playing. As it is, she has an amazing voice. The thought that she could get better with time just blows me away. Enjoy the pictures, I'm going to try to get some sound clips done this week of the Anniversary D55 and the GSR D50 for everyone to hear if I can figure out how to post them.
m8iRL0.jpg
W5OBMe.jpg
ObAOir.jpg
hERUKH.jpg
3JhtNP.jpg
y3sZuY.jpg
rFWjeV.jpg

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
really dig the back! congrats on this score, what a great story...Lost in Translation for 13 yrs.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, HOLY CRAP, TB!!! I'm just running out the door, but.... can't wait to get back home and DROOL over that Rosewood!! Congrats, man!! That's just STUNNING!!! :encouragement:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nothing like a time capsule find! Congrats. That is definitely some fascinating rosewood, but the Englemann top is exquisite. Looks mighty fine, tx.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wonderful guitar! Stunning! I bet that Braz back looks amazing in sunlight as well!
Ralf

6L6

Reaction score
Gorgeous!

As I've posted here before, I spent some time with #1 of 50 at Guitar Showcase in San Jose, CA when they first came out. The store owner was a close friend of then-Fender CEO, Bill Shultz and so he got #1 or #2 of everything he wanted for his store.

These are very special instruments. ENJOY!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, She is definitely a keeper. It pretty much rained where I am for most of the day so hopefully we get some sunshine tomorrow. If we do I'll try to get some pics outside.:star:

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just stunning. I hope it plays as well and sounds as good as it looks.

billymo

Reaction score
Beautiful, exciting guitar. Congratulations. I like engleman spruce, it's bolder than Sitka, I've got 1 with a maple body, 1 with a mahogany body and 1 with a rosewood body. I think you've got a dream guitar.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the comments everyone. I just spent about an hour playing her from strumming chords to Flatpicking and I have to say she is udderly Amazing. I know that we had been having the conversation in another thread about acoustic guitars "Opening Up". For what it's worth when she arrived this morning she sounded great but the overall volume was noticeably lower than my GSR D50. After letting her acclimate out of the case all day sitting next to my other guitars and a very small amount of playtime, She is as loud as my GSR D50. The tone has become richer than it already was. The resonance is stronger feeling in the neck than it was this afternoon. The same thing happened with the GSR D50 when I received it as well. My GSR D50 has so much overtone to it that it almost sounds like it is trying to feed back on itself acoustically when you strum certain chords. As of this evening The D55 Anniversary has developed that same characteristic. It was not present this morning fresh out of the case. I'm using the same strings on both, D'addario EXP17's. This girl is truly an amazing instrument and I am very lucky to have her.:star:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice.

I have to share my immediate sense of panic when I read your post as suggesting the box arrived and then you opened it up. Then I remembered that it is no longer Winter and the instrument was unlikely to have been exposed to the temperature extremes that lead to finish checking on a trip from Maryland to Texas. :eek:range:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Good One Joe, Thanks! And Frono, even though it is not winter I still checked the temperatures everywhere Fedex had it listed just to make sure.:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

CA-35

Reaction score
Oh my. Oh my. Stunning. Love everything about it but I think I like this the best. Outstanding. TRC running a close second.

3JhtNP.jpg