Lipitor, who takes it?

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
None of us gets out of here alive

Sure.
Still not an excuse to line our kids up for type II diabetes by raising them on soda instead of water..... This disease is out of control in the US, and the impact goes well farther than the life of the patient itself, but then again we approach the "danger zone".

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Back from a one-hour bike ride on a beautiful PNW evening.
Baked potato, salad with oil and vinegar dressing, wild Alaskan salmon burger, and a nice cab. Life....good! :eagerness:

Carry on my brothers and sisters,
Joe

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
I won't argue with you but I'm a Southerner, raised by Southerners. When I was a kid, EVERY meal we had was fried and washed down with copious amounts of very sweet tea. Gallons of very sweet tea. We drank it with lunch, dinner, and with snacks. None of us have diabetes. My father is 83 and my mother just turned 80. They STILL eat everything fried and drinks lots of very sweet tea.My parents wouldn't drink wine if their throats were on fire. I think the difference is when I was a kid after eating my fried chicken and sweet tea I got off my *** and went outside and played. Staying in the house was called punishment when I was a kid. Honestly though, I think genetics play more of a role in longevity than diet, but I'm just another guy on the internet

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Staying in the house was called punishment when I was a kid.

Yeah, it was. You couldn't ride your bike or play ball in the house. Now.... going outside only happens when you have to help your parents pull weeds or mow the lawn.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
K.O.M.A. no arguing here, we're just two guys on the internet , shooting the $#i!, and most importantly, sharing a love for the S100!

You might be blessed (as I am) with a strong genetic heritage, but the facts about sugar addiction in America's diet and its impact are here (2014 stats, CDC data):
[h=3]Diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes in the United States
Total:
29.1 million people or 9.3% of the population have diabetes.
Diagnosed:
21.0 million people.
Undiagnosed:
8.1 million people (27.8% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed).[/h]And we all know (or should know, unless I'm the only one looking at the sugar content on the stuff I buy, which is quite possible) that injecting some form of sugar in everything folks eat, it is a legal way for the food industry to hook everyone on their crap and make sure they will come back for more.
Why is it the FDA is not doing anything about it?
The food industry, and the pharmaceutical sharing the same interest in making people sick, OWN the FDA. They write the laws.

It's a well oiled machine, a perfect world if you're in the business of making money selling frosted flakes or Coke (the "legal" Coke that is).

Agreed on the lifestyle aggravating factor, as I pointed out many posts ago, exercising makes a world of difference.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Totally with you on the sugar thing, Pascal. Cindy and I are pretty much sugar-free and function better because of it. Genetics? Sure, but diet and exercise hold the key to good health. Do not become a couch potato in your own time....there are better things to become. :eagerness:

*Read William Duffy's classic, Sugar Blues, and learn all about the #1 addictive poison out there. We have a copy and always recommend it.

Joe

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
(as with everything: in moderation) :kiwi-fruit:

Did someone call me?

I note several folks veering close to The Edge of The Cliff but those are folks who have been there before and know exactly where the edge is. I will now go and endeavor to practice moderation in diet :)

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Did someone call me?

I note several folks veering close to The Edge of The Cliff but those are folks who have been there before and know exactly where the edge is. I will now go and endeavor to practice moderation in diet :)

Won't get any closer to the edge, I'm scared of heights anyway.... and I say that from Atlanta airport where I'm waiting for my connecting flight to Newport News. As usual, shame I won't have time to meet you and the missus at a gas station somwhere.... ;)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Won't get any closer to the edge, I'm scared of heights anyway.... and I say that from Atlanta airport where I'm waiting for my connecting flight to Newport News. As usual, shame I won't have time to meet you and the missus at a gas station somwhere.... ;)

So close... And yet, so far. Have a good trip.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Add this one to your bookshelf.....

ANWU6o.png

....invest in a good Vitamix blender (don't settle for anything else) and you're set. Works for us. :friendly_wink:

Joe

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Been watchin' this jam session right along from the onset. Although, relatively quiet for awhile, but still interesting, things really ramped up last night with some blistering dueling solo's (well beyond my level of participation) and as frono put it "very close to the edge" I found it to be smokin' hot stuff!

....but anyway, all this stuff about living healthy and longer, I can't help but think of my neighbor. He's been working (he would call it exercising) in the woods between our properties, so I walked out there to hopefully get some words of wisdom specifically for the thread, but he wasn't around.

He is just a year or two under the age of 90 (that's not a typo) and loves to cut wood like we love to play our guitars. So for the past couple of weeks since things have dried up a bit, he's been out taking down dying birch trees on the hillside going down to the lake.

I took this pic of his tractor with a chain hooked to a 20" or so dia. tree that has hung up in an oak and is ready to pull (attempt) free, probably now as I'm typing this.

87b7814b-57ad-4309-b131-0ecd603b4c6f_zpsfhidaoh3.jpg

He will then skid it up the hill, chunk it up, split them with a maul and stack them by hand on this over-flow wood pile in the woods.

22beef49-df15-4902-9414-df5bd9466d80_zps6k4sibq3.jpg

Mind you, he does this all lone, except in very rare instance when he may require an extra set of hands.

Hopefully I can catch him out there in the next day or so, grab a pic and maybe he'd be willing to spare a couple minutes to give some thoughts on diet and exercise.

He's a retired physics and aeronautics teacher and always a joy to chat with (if he'll give up the time).

I do know, if he feels like meat and potatoes, that's damn well what he's going to have.

.....stay tuned

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
if he feels like meat and potatoes, that's damn well what he's going to have.
I like my meat and potatoes, too, and it's always a special treat when I choose to have them. Spaghetti and meatballs and Cindy's special lasagna come to mind, Thai food, etc., etc.
I could go on but the point is to work around the things you love and surround them with good stuff, or stuff that's good for you, and libations of your choosing....in moderation, of course. :friendly_wink:

Joe

Just_Guild

Reaction score
I'm conducting an unofficial poll on the pros and cons so if you have any experience with this or any other statins, please share. :kiwi-fruit:

Thanks,
Joe
Joe, my unofficial poll was conducted by providing Lipitor and other blood pressure medications to my daughters boyfriends. You get my drift!

CA-35

Reaction score
Been watchin' this jam session right along from the onset. Although, relatively quiet for awhile, but still interesting, things really ramped up last night with some blistering dueling solo's (well beyond my level of participation) and as frono put it "very close to the edge" I found it to be smokin' hot stuff!

The dichotomy of this thread is incredible. From health nuts to health indifference. I don't think there is one answer for everybody. Genes and DNA and family health history obviously trump diet or exercise. Personally I've been blessed with good health most of my life. My family members passed from heart failure at a ripe age other than my sister who was extremely obese and had heart failure at 55. So, I do attribute obesity and lack of exercise a major factor in my sister's untimely but 100% preventable death. Furthermore because of that sobering fact I do believe that the American diet is killing people. However that is my belief and yours may very well be different. Lifestyle is a choice. I choose to pay attention to the root cause of things, not treating symptoms. Don't misunderstand me either; I drink alcohol like a fish. I will devour a full package of Pepperidge Farms Mint Milanos in one sitting. I will eat fried chicken at a barbecue. However that is the exception not the norm.

I will part with this: If there is one thing that can ultimately change your life it would be to abstain from sugar. Sugar is the real killer, and don't get me started on milk.

Ponder this: Why are we the only mammal on the face of the earth that continues to drink milk once we are weened?