D55 Anniversary #10 of 50 and The Journey to Find Her

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Mysterious Case and Whereabouts of The Missing D55 Anniversary #10 of 50

So my journey starts a month ago when I took possession of my Guild GSR D50 Cocobolo 1 of 20 Acoustic Guitar. The sound that came out of it was so amazing that it got me to thinking about what other Exotic Guilds may be out there in the world that I would like. I had thought that an Orpheum Jumbo might be the ticket but after playing a Mahogany 14 fret Slope Dread Orpheum I came to the realization that it was not as playable to me as I thought it would be. You see, I have had more shoulder surgeries than I care to remember after having my left shoulder crushed by 300lbs. of pipe. Throughout all of them the only guitar neck that still feels comfortable enough for me to play without cramping up is the Guild Acoustic and some Electrics due to their full shape. With the Orpheum out of the picture I located several other GSR acoustics that were for sale in the USA and The UK. None of them really caught my fancy. Then I was searching through the archives here at LTG and found a post referring to a 2003 Anniversary D55 that may have never sold new and still could be in a dealer’s inventory. I’ve always wanted a D55, but to own a 1 of 50 with Brazilian rosewood would be the end all, especially at a reasonable price.

I started my search by trying to contact the Original posters of the Threads referring to the #10 guitar of 50 made that was offered to them as NOS. I received no response from either whether it was contacting them through email or PM on the forum. The first poster referred to the guitar as being “somewhere in the corn belt” which I had serious reservations about to start with. The second poster did not divulge anything regarding the location in their post. Also mentioned in both posts was that this guitar was stored in the basement of the guitar store. After much consideration I decided that I wanted to find this guitar no matter what it took. My first order of business was to contact Guild in Oxnard, Ca. to see if Fender transferred manufacturing documents to Cordoba with the sale of Guild. After a few days Guild returned my request and stated they had no records of Guild prior to the Purchase. I then contacted the home office of Fender in Arizona with only the information of #10 of 50 to see if they new the name of the dealer that the guitar was originally shipped to for retail sale. Fender’s return email stated that they didn’t keep records by #10 of 50 but by serial numbers. After an extensive cross reference they told me they Might have the location of the original dealer nailed down to one of two places. Chuck Levin’s Washington Music World in Maryland or Music Gallery in Chicago.

I phoned Music Gallery in Chicago first only to find, No guitar and No Basement. I then contacted Chuck Levin’s in Maryland to discover Yes, they have a basement. The sales person took my number and information on the guitar and said he was off to the basement to check things out, even though he had never heard of them having one. Low and behold 30 minutes later I received a phone call stating that he had found the guitar and it was in his words “Amazing”. Even with 13 year old strings he said it reminded him of a Baby Grand piano. After 2 days of receiving pictures and haggling over price, I am the proud New Owner of #10 out of 50! Not to mention the folks at Chuck Levin’s are so nice that they went the extra mile to make sure that Cordoba even Honored the Full Factory Warranty on the 13 year old guitar as it had never sold new. Full setup with new strings and an Extra set as well as a 7 day trial period if for some out of this universe reason I don’t like it, I can return it. I know this is a Long post and I thank you for reading it all. I just wanted to say that if you see something you want, There is always a way. You just have to find that way to make it happen. The guitar will arrive sometime early next week and I will post photos then. It has some Very Dark Brazilian Grain in it. Not perfectly bookmatched on the back but I don’t care about that. It’s the tone I am after. #10 of 50 is coming home to me.:adoration:

Special Thanks to Daniel Rivera with Guild and Kevin Castaneda with Fender Customer relations for their research and Correspondence on this matter.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, I don't know of anyone else on the forum who owns one, bumper... Congrats on the find, and look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing what you have to say.

I doubt the Brazilian will sound that different to you. D-55s are such wonderful beasties though... I'm sure you'll love it.

Yeah 13-year-old strings, eh? Well, that might be your first investment. :)

merlin6666

Reaction score
Wow, amazing story. I had also been looking for that one "special" guitar for several months, and read about #10 and started looking into it but did not go the extra mile as you did. Though I did grab the opportunity of an Orpheum Jumbo with which I am extremely happy, as it plays so easily that I am now having difficulty with playing my 12 string Ovation! I am sure looking forward to pictures and and a full description.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So... is this the one that I posted the link to a thread, in the AGF ? Sounds like it. I am dying to see some pictures when you get it. Then, I might kick myself for not taking the Holmes approach like you did.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes JohnW63, It is the one that C4 and 1979-D40 posted about on LTG and also on AGF that you posted the link about. Thanks for posting that link, It helped me match up some Information on the Guitar. Pics will follow upon arrival.:adoration:

Thanks to Merlin as well. I glad your loving that Orpheum!

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know of anyone else on the forum who owns one, bumper... Congrats on the find, and look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing what you have to say.

I doubt the Brazilian will sound that different to you. D-55s are such wonderful beasties though... I'm sure you'll love it.

Yeah 13-year-old strings, eh? Well, that might be your first investment. :)

Thanks Chazmo, I have the F50R EIR and the Cocobolo D50 to compare it to when it arrives. As far as the strings go they threw in a free cleaning, oiling, and setup with my choice of strings on it before it shipped. It should arrive ready to play.If you guys ever get a chance to get over to Chuck Levin's in Maryland Ask for Tod Eliot, He is the manager who spoke with Cordoba about honoring the warranty. Also he contacted Fender's Document department to make sure I got all the Documents on her as well. Hell of a Guy, as well as the salesman Jorge Anaya.:star:

Last edited:

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
...I’ve always wanted a D55, but to own a 1 of 50 with Brazilian rosewood would be the end all, especially at a reasonable price... There is always a way. You just have to find that way to make it happen. The guitar will arrive sometime early next week and I will post photos then. It has some Very Dark Brazilian Grain in it. Not perfectly bookmatched on the back but I don’t care about that. It’s the tone I am after. #10 of 50 is coming home to me.:adoration:

WooHoo! Good for you! What a score!

Neal

Reaction score
And to make the world just a little smaller still, Chuck Levin's is where I bought my fiirst Guild, a D-35, in 1975. I still own it.

Congratulations! May you still be play ing that D-55 40 years from now.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice score... sometimes it pays to be persistant! Enjoy!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And to make the world just a little smaller still, Chuck Levin's is where I bought my fiirst Guild, a D-35, in 1975. I still own it.

Congratulations! May you still be playing that D-55 40 years from now.

That's Awesome Neal! I do hope to be playing it 40 years from now.:adoration:

And thanks to everyone else who has posted, I promise a full write up upon arrival with pics and possibly sound clips if I can get some time to crank up my recorder.
:friendly_wink:

Geotrio

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
WTG tx, that will compliment your D50 coco nicely. I can't imagine owning 2 nicer Guilds than that.

Watasha

Reaction score
Congrats on what I'm sure is an amazing guitar

The Mysterious Case and Whereabouts of The Missing D55 Anniversary #10 of 50

... My first order of business was to contact Guild in Oxnard, Ca. to see if Fender transferred manufacturing documents to Cordoba with the sale of Guild. After a few days Guild returned my request and stated they had no records of Guild prior to the Purchase.

Does this mean Cordoba got none of Guild's historical records in the purchase? That wouldn't seem to make sense would it?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Jeez, I hope that's not true. Maybe they're talking about pre-NH.

In NH, there was a handwritten ledger kept of each guitar that went through final assembly. I sure hope Cordoba got at least these ledgers. I presume there are computer files as well.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good story. Thanks.

I have to wonder how an instrument like that remained "unnoticed" by the staff at Levin's but stranger things have happened.

On the record keeping and transfer, since it is the buyer's responsibility to prove they are the original owner, it is possible for Guild to provide warranty support with no records at all. So there is not necessarily a business reason that I can think of for the records to go to Cordoba. That said I would like to believe that the records are still intact and that Cordoba does not have them or access to them.

I wonder whether the ledger that several folks got brief glimpses of at LMGs was for Guild specifically or for the entire factory? Does it contain records for Fender Kingman production and the odd Ovation? If so FMIC might have had reason to to sell or transfer it with Guild and it may be someplace where FMIC HQ doesn't know about it.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, great story. But how did that store in MD come to never sell that D55? How can it just be hanging out in a basement all these years? They barely even knew it was down there. What other guitars do they have down there? Is Jimmie Hoffa down there?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for all of the great Responses. As far as the records go, Guild made it clear that they currently have nothing before the purchase by Cordoba. I imagine that over time things will either transfer from Fender, or Fender will keep those records for Audit purposes in the future since they were responsible for Guild throughout those years. As far as the Hand written Ledger goes, I'm sure hope it wound up in Oxnard.:adoration: