FS: 1956 Guild CE-100

a.modernist

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Back up for grabs is this beautiful all-original 1956 Guild CE-100 (serial number 295x). I purchased this guitar from guildman63 via this board at the beginning of 2014. I have gigged with it regularly since then, but have taken very good care of it. I am offering it here to forum members for $1,800 shipped before I post it elsewhere in an effort to keep it in the LTG community. This is a fine example of an early-run, first year NY NY CE-100. It is in excellent playing condition. It is 100% original with the exception of the case. Electronics are all solid and dependable. I have had zero issues with it over the last year plus. There is some finish crazing most notably on the front of the headstock which I tried to capture in the photos. The color is closest to the 3rd photo due to the light in my flat - it is much more brown in tone than yellow. The neck shape is a perfect full C, but not too chunky due to its smaller nut width, which I measured at 1.625". Standard neck scale of 24.75" and 16" at the lower bout. Original binding shows little to no sign of deterioration with slight shrinking at the joints. I will ship this in a recent hardshell TKL style case via the buyer's shipper of choice at an economy (ground, etc.) rate. Please ask any questions. Thank you for looking.

Here is a link to an online album of images for the short term. I will review/edit this post later and post the image links directly into this message.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53493964@N00/sets/72157651727465196/with/17029327026/

a.modernist

Reaction score
As promised...

Dn4HWl.jpg
QJnWzU.jpg

MNhe7G.jpg

5Jjmv2.jpg
giZe6A.jpg
tKJdOU.jpg
L9XZQ4.jpg
QHjiqp.jpg

guildman63

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for a CE-100, you won't find a better example! If I could buy it back I would, but my AP craziness took me out of the hunt, at least for now. Great photos, ner!

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Before I made the trade with guildman63, this CE-100 was mine.....and before I purchased it, it was stored away for most of its years in Denver CO.
I purchased it in 2010 on Ebay and put it back into "circulation" if you will.

Here it is during its all too brief stay with me.....

Certainly as nice a guitar as it looks in photos and I'm sorely tempted to buy it back.
It also has some unusual features that one can associate with a first year model.

So now its got me daydreaming and ruminating.....looking for a method in my madness.

z

Last edited:

a.modernist

Reaction score
Thanks for the "testimonials" and additional backstory gentlemen. It is indeed a VERY fine example of this particular model guitar. I would much prefer it go to a good Let's Talk Guild home rather than release it to the wild. I will most likely keep it posted up here through the weekend before I start aggressively pursuing other avenues.

a.modernist

Reaction score
Well close, but no cigar. I just had a buyer back out on this one, so I have reduced the asking price elsewhere online and am bumping here again as I definitely would prefer to see this guitar go to one of you.

a.modernist

Reaction score
I thought I would try one final bump here. I have received a decent offer from an international buyer. Truth be told, I don't really want to deal with the hassle of international shipping and would rather sell it domestically to someone here in the "Guild family". I am offering a one-off, limited time deal of $1,500 + all shipping costs. Contact me ASAP if interested as the other deal is pending. I will post when this has been sold.

bbradleynyc

Reaction score
i might be interested in this beauty of a guitar
may i ask, why is the tailpiece not 'guild' harp shaped, i guess this predates that tailpiece
were all the original nyc guilds made with this alternate tailpiece

i currently play a gibson 175 but love everything about the guild culture

any chance this is lighter in any way than the 175? mine is from 1979

thanks for your time...also if i wanted to play this what city are you in?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
may i ask, why is the tailpiece not 'guild' harp shaped, i guess this predates that tailpiece
were all the original nyc guilds made with this alternate tailpiece
Yes, that Waverly tailpiece is the original one as used by Guild on the CE-100 in 1956 (see Hans' book page 59). But there were also Kluson tailpieces used on other early Guilds, see Hans' book page 39.
That CE-100 is 100% original, the rosewood bridge was renewed/changed at some point as it looks.
Ralf

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
If the bridge is the same as when I owned the guitar it is original. This guitar sat onsold and unplayed in a CO music store for well over 40 years until it was bought by one of our members, and then traded to me about 3 years ago. I then got the AP bug and sold it to ner. It should be 100% original, aside from the strings, of course.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If the bridge is the same as when I owned the guitar it is original.
O.k., but the bridge in the pictures Zizala posted is different from the bridge in the pictures ner1971 posted...Hence my comment. It wasn't mentioned.
Ralf

a.modernist

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay folks. The guitar is still for sale. The guitar is currently in San Francisco. As per guildman63, the guitar is 100% original with the exception of the strings! I did have an alternate bridge top on the guitar for a while, but the original is back on there. I have played more than a few 175s and I would suspect this guitar is lighter than your '79 but could not tell you for sure. Please let me know if there are any more questions.