Joni Mitchell in intensive care.

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Sad news.:apologetic:
Lets hope it all turns around.

“Joni was found unconscious in her home this afternoon. She regained consciousness on the ambulance ride to an LA area hospital.
201a3d6b-0b2a-4a6a-a0a7-cf5eb1b57f15-460x276.jpeg

Joni Mitchell: 10 of the best

“She is currently in intensive care undergoing tests and is awake and in good spirits. More updates to come as we hear them. Light a candle and sing a song, let’s all send good wishes her way."

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I heard this news yesterday. Upsetting. As huge of a fan as I am of Joni, her health is not that great. And as she, herself, has said being "the last of the great chain smokers", you have to worry. Holding good thoughts that we get to keep her around for a while longer..... :crushed:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I heard this news yesterday. Upsetting. As huge of a fan as I am of Joni, her health is not that great. And as she, herself, has said being "the last of the great chain smokers", you have to worry. Holding good thoughts that we get to keep her around for a while longer..... :crushed:

yes, that has to be tough, smoking for so long and chain smoking to boot. But I always hear stories to people chain smoking into their 90s with no ill affects, amazes me. I remember listening to her Blue album when I was younger, not sure if that was the actual name but the cover was all blue and Steve Stills did all the instruments save for her guitar.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
..... and Steve Stills did all the instruments save for her guitar.
Not quite.

Joni Mitchell – Appalachian dulcimer, guitar, piano, vocals
Stephen Stills – Bass and guitar on "Carey"
James Taylor – Guitar on "California", "All I Want", "A Case of You"
Sneaky Pete Kleinow – Pedal steel on "California", "This Flight Tonight"
Russ Kunkel – Drums on "California", "Carey", "A Case of You"

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
oh sorry, i am confusing him just playing bass while he played all instruments on first CSN album. thanks

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not quite.

Joni Mitchell – Appalachian dulcimer, guitar, piano, vocals
Stephen Stills – Bass and guitar on "Carey"
James Taylor – Guitar on "California", "All I Want", "A Case of You"
Sneaky Pete Kleinow – Pedal steel on "California", "This Flight Tonight"
Russ Kunkel – Drums on "California", "Carey", "A Case of You"

However, Mr. Stills was the "rock and roll band" on "Blonde in the Bleachers" on For the Roses, while Mr. Nash plays the harmonica on "You Turn Me On, I'm a Radio" on the same album. For the Roses is one of my dozen "desert island" records, along with Court and Spark - I've owned them almost from their original release, and I hear something new every time I listen to them.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
However, Mr. Stills was the "rock and roll band" on "Blonde in the Bleachers" on For the Roses, while Mr. Nash plays the harmonica on "You Turn Me On, I'm a Radio" on the same album. For the Roses is one of my dozen "desert island" records, along with Court and Spark - I've owned them almost from their original release, and I hear something new every time I listen to them.

I learned a lot about Joni's beginnings while reading David Crosby's auto bio. He "discovered" her. And would hole her up while they were dating in his rental home, then bring over friends and bring her out, showcasing his find. Crosby was a crazy narcissist, but still my favorite of the 3. I mean I learned guitar listening to Pete Townshend and Stephen Stills, but Crosby's harmony voice is just the glue that held that trio together.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I learned a lot about Joni's beginnings while reading David Crosby's auto bio. He "discovered" her. And would hole her up while they were dating in his rental home, then bring over friends and bring her out, showcasing his find. Crosby was a crazy narcissist, but still my favorite of the 3. I mean I learned guitar listening to Pete Townshend and Stephen Stills, but Crosby's harmony voice is just the glue that held that trio together.

There is some dispute between Mr. Crosby and Tom Rush on the topic of Joni Mitchell. Mr. Rush maintains he first heard her work while she was part of a touring duo that also included her then-husband. He tells a story of getting a tape from Joni with some of her songs for him to consider covering, and included as an afterthought by Joni was what she thought was a throwaway: "Circle Game".

Crosby claims to have taught Joni alternate tunings, and Rush claims to have taught Crosby.

Anyway, here's an interview of Tom Rush from Joni's official website.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Crosby claims to have taught Joni alternate tunings, and Rush claims to have taught Crosby.

Anyway, here's an interview of Tom Rush from Joni's official website.

Interesting as I thought Joni taught Crosby alternate tunings...that she already came in from CA with them due to something up with her hands, she had to chord differently.

Aristera

Reaction score
Just watched a great dvd of Joni playing a Parker Fly in open tuning. First by herself then with a small band. The bassist was her ex-husband whom she had a nice intro of.

dvd: Painting with Words and Music

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
James, Joni introduced me to Parker guitars!! I love them.... you hardly see them any more. I remember that one she had. I love the really LIGHT ones.... don't weigh a TON like a lot of solid bodies. :encouragement:

JimmyD

Reaction score
Heavy heavyweight songwriter and musician. Mid 90's, no longer relevant in the music business....saw her on the Tonight show, doing Sex Kills....a guitar and voice, mesmerizing and deep as the universe.....amazing, just amazing.

tjmangum

Reaction score
I saw Joni in concert, unfortunately only once, and it was an amazing experience. Early 70's in Nashville. Tom Scott and LA Express were the back up band and she did a bit where she, I guess it's called, scat sang with the flute player. She matched him note for note. For the time she had it all, looks and talent. Hope she gets better.
T

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Joni and I share the same initials and she was born 6 days after I was. And now, it seems we share a similar medical event/episode, according to the latest update that read....she lost consciousness; i.e. she fainted and ended up on the floor and was rushed to the ER.
BTDT. :tranquillity:

It's always something!
Joe

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Heavy heavyweight songwriter and musician. Mid 90's, no longer relevant in the music business....saw her on the Tonight show, doing Sex Kills....a guitar and voice, mesmerizing and deep as the universe.....amazing, just amazing.
I remember that. Made my arm hairs stand up on end, no joke.
My personal favorites are Ladies of the Canyon, Hissing of Summer Lawns, and Mingus
according to the latest update that read....she lost consciousness; i.e. she fainted and ended up on the floor and was rushed to the ER.
BTDT. :tranquillity:
That was my first guess, that she just fainted. Hope she bounces back as well as you did.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of my favorite pics....it's not a Guild but it's Joni! :encouragement:

gWIhor.jpg

Joe

Cool old D-28. I had one of those once. I like how perfect her right hand position is. Mine can never twist like that, though I am not complaining. :) That is one cool pic!