That was who?

CA-35

Reaction score
I'm listening to "The Many Moods of Ben Vaughn" on WXPN 88.5 out of Philly and I hear a great bluegrass kinda country song with a funky banjo twang and at the break Ben reads the credits and he says "That was The Bee Gees with Marley Purt Drive"

I almost fell over. I had to youtube it and listen again, and again. Barry's voice is awesome. Vince Melouney on guitar. The banjo player is Bill Keith. Yeah the Bee Gees doing Country. What's next Allison Krauss and Union Station doing Disco?

https://youtu.be/NuSWwiYfvHQ

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Was on Odessa album released in March '69, so preceded the "disco BeeGees" by about 5 years. Barry said years later they were listening to a lot of American country music at the time.
Like maybe Music From Big Pink by the Band?
:smile:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds to me like it could have been a song off of Graham Nash's "Songs for Beginners" album.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it could have been a song off of Graham Nash's "Songs for Beginners" album.

W-e-e-l-l...since Nash came from the Hollies who were doin' about as well as the BeeGees at around the same time and who had their own flirtation with "country" ("Long Cool Woman" sounds suspiciously like Creedence Clearwater Revival), that makes sense.