How do the new Bisonic pickups compare to the classics?

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a 1998 Starfire II Bass. On a whim, I purchased two 2014 BiSonic pickups from a dealer on Ebay.

Before I dump time and money into swapping these pickups, I thought I'd see if it is worth the trouble.

So how do the new Bisonic pickups compare to the old ones? Am I going to find that classic sound, or something else entirely?

ukulelelab

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Starfire II Bass. On a whim, I purchased two 2014 BiSonic pickups from a dealer on Ebay.

Before I dump time and money into swapping these pickups, I thought I'd see if it is worth the trouble.

So how do the new Bisonic pickups compare to the old ones? Am I going to find that classic sound, or something else entirely?

Personally I like the stock pickups on my 90's starfire 2 so I would keep it as it is (but that's my own taste). If each one of your new pickups has a DC resistance of 6.4k Ohms you are closer to Darkstar experience rather than anything else. Vintage bisonic had a 12k Ohms wound.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
LA,

I like what ive heard of the NS Bisonic, it sounds good, but different than the classic Bisonic. Also there is some question if the original NS pickups in NS basses are the same as new ones being offered as stand alone parts. The first one is called a "Bisonic" and the new one is advertised at Dark Star 6.4k ohms (as posted above). since yours is mohogany id maybe toy with the idea of an actual Bisonic or Novak Bisonic, but would likley not act on that brainstorming session unless I was really very very serious about performing/recording bass guitar. Your bass must sound fantastic as is. if not, maybe try different strings. TI flats or D'addario flats...or whatever your preference

The 90s SF basses are 1/4 inch skinnier than the vintage (and NS) model. Also, the 90s bass humbucker is not the same as the 70s bass humbucker- it's not as hot and overpowering. It is still quite thunderous but the level/power is tame compared to the 70s humbucker. the tone is the same though. the 90s bass humbuckers in my 98 SF (maple) bass sound quite good with the Fender flats that came with it.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
First, we don't know for sure that the PU offered as parts is the same as the PU in my 2013. Second I have convinced myself that I can hear a difference between a '66 SF I with the PU in the bridge position and a '67 SF I in the neck position but that difference may also be influenced by mahogany vs. maple. That said, my opinion is that the NS sounds very nice but it is lacking something that I hear from the '67. it is awkward describing sound with words but I feel like the NS sounds thin and I suspect the thinness is due to a reduced response in the midrange. So depending on what you call the classic sound, you might not get it.

I should also note that the Guild website still does not list the NS PUs for sale and the bass specs there still say "Bi-Sonic". It is really not clear to me whether Guild is now calling them "Dark Star" or whether the seller made the choice to do so. One wonders whether Hagstrom or Fred Hammon have lawyers who have talked to Guild?

jcwu

Reaction score
Whenever I see Bisonic, instead of reading it as bi-sonic, I read it as bison-ic.

Sorry, that was completely unhelpful.

johnbiscuti

Reaction score
First, we don't know for sure that the PU offered as parts is the same as the PU in my 2013. Second I have convinced myself that I can hear a difference between a '66 SF I with the PU in the bridge position and a '67 SF I in the neck position but that difference may also be influenced by mahogany vs. maple. That said, my opinion is that the NS sounds very nice but it is lacking something that I hear from the '67. it is awkward describing sound with words but I feel like the NS sounds thin and I suspect the thinness is due to a reduced response in the midrange.

Comparing neck position to bridge position is not really an apples-to-apples comparison though, is it?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Comparing neck position to bridge position is not really an apples-to-apples comparison though, is it?

I have played a '66 Bisonic bridge, a '67 Bisonic neck and a 2013 NS. Acknowledging that I did not have the Bisonics in the same room at the same time, or use the same amp, and I think the '66 was maple and know the '67 is mahogany, I have some sense of the differences and am willing to attribute them to position. Doing the comparisons I think the differences between the '66 and '67 are much less dramatic than the differences between the '67 and the NS or the differences between the '66 and the NS. So it is not quite apples to apples but I will stand by my opinion until I get a mahogany '66 Bisonic bridge in the same room as the NS.

In the absence of lab testing and measurements ("science") I'm comfortable with my opinion, but I well recognize it is just my opinion, even if it is more informed by experience than some other opinions :)

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Are you talking about new Guild stock?

btw, rumors are - just rumors though - we may see a return of the mighty Dark Star pickup.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Are you talking about new Guild stock?

btw, rumors are - just rumors though - we may see a return of the mighty Dark Star pickup.

Yes, I bought new NS guild "Bi-Sonic" pickups and now I don't know what to do with them :)

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Yes, I bought new NS guild "Bi-Sonic" pickups and now I don't know what to do with them :)

Ideally, I'd say, it would be cool to drop those two into a Dearmond Starfire or some kind of cheaper japanese/chinese import semi-hollow/hollow-body. Regardless of whether or not it sounds like a vintage starfire, you'd be very likely to have a cool bass in the end and it wouldn't hurt the value of the original bass. I'd venture to say that it would be something you could easily sell and not lose money on if it doesn't end up being your cup of tea

Last edited: