Guild is hiring!

Bronsky

Reaction score
It's all there, Guild is hiring builders for it's Oxnard facility, thought it could be of interest.

Now that's a job I'd like, but I don't think I could adapt to the California weather...

guildman63

Reaction score
I agree, that would be a fun job, and I would be very interested if only I had some experience with machine work and woodworking. Unfortunately, I have no experience with either, although I have used a cordless drill/screwdriver many times, and a skill saw on one occasion to install laminate flooring in my kitchen. :glee: As for So Cal weather, it is much different than Oslo, Norway, but just picture yourself wearing shorts and sandals 48 weeks out of the year. I would give almost anything for that weather, especially after all of the snow we got in New England this winter. The only possible downside to Oxnard, or to CA in general, is the poor state economy and the tendancy of many CA residents toward lunacy...with no reference to Los Angeles, or any other clearly sane CA members of this very respectable LTG community. :glee:

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Betcha' I could learn to program a CNC machine. :)

Indeed, the *downside* to the renowned level of precision and consistency of Taylor Guitars (built with almost no human touch) is that the next generation of luthiers, those who have any comprehension of how to build an acoustic guitar, are the computers.

(Did my inner Luddite just sneak out?)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Indeed, the *downside* to the renowned level of precision and consistency of Taylor Guitars (built with almost no human touch) is that the next generation of luthiers, those who have any comprehension of how to build an acoustic guitar, are the computers.

(Did my inner Luddite just sneak out?)
Actually, my inner Luddite fears the future where anyone can build a custom guitar. Someone will perfect a chemical process to emulsify wood and shoot it through a 3D printer.

Look ma, I'm a luthier!

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...Someone will perfect a chemical process to emulsify wood and shoot it through a 3D printer.

Look ma, I'm a luthier!

No doubt, Charlie. lol

(Super-Cynic: But why bother with wood? Just add scent to the plastics (Rosewood, Redwood, Cedar, Mahogany, etc., a la Pick-N-Sniff). With more and more players becoming accustomed to the sound of the pickup/amp in lieu of the actual instrument, what do they care what it is made of? The possibilities just blow the mind... ;~})

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
No doubt, Charlie. lol

(Super-Cynic: But why bother with wood? Just add scent to the plastics (Rosewood, Redwood, Cedar, Mahogany, etc., a la Pick-N-Sniff). With more and more players becoming accustomed to the sound of the pickup/amp in lieu of the actual instrument, what do they care what it is made of? The possibilities just blow the mind... ;~})

Isn't Martin already coming pretty close to this with the Retro series (or whatever is is called) that uses onboard signal processing to make an amplified instrument sound like a specific vintage instrument? I seem to recall reading that the instruments sound pretty mediocre when played acoustically and that Martian made design and materials decisions that supported the signal processing rather than the unsimplified sound.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As I went through Oxnard this past fall while on vacation to LA, I was amazed just how far removed it is from LA. It's an hour from Santa Monica to Oxnard. Being on the other side of the mountains and on the coast, it's kind of isolated. Seemed like a nice place to me.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading that the instruments sound pretty mediocre when played acoustically and that Martian made design and materials decisions that supported the signal processing rather than the unsimplified sound.

Oh, what do those martians know about guitars, anyway?

167px-Marvin_the_Martian.svg.png

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Clearly only a space based alien would build an allegedly acoustic instrument that is worthless without amplification. Because I can spell Martin if I try hard enough :)

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Isn't Martin already coming pretty close to this...

True, using the (onboard) Fishman Aura Preamp. I had an early stomp box version of the Aura, and loaded it with a Guild F-50 sample. I plugged in my Ovation Custom Elite and was playing it through my Bose PA. My wife, upon entering the room, did a movie-moment-worthy double-take, as she exclaimed, 'I thought that that was your Guild!'. Downright spooky.

...Martian made design and materials decisions that supported the signal processing rather than the unsimplified sound.

Yes, speaking of Ovation...(Martin... Ovation... Martion... Ovartin ;~}

(Ya gotta luv auto-correction, right? I don't don't think I have ever used the term 'unsimplified sound' for unamplified, but I am going to start today. It's totally apropos. Thanks, Jamie.)

Bronsky

Reaction score
As for So Cal weather, it is much different than Oslo, Norway, but just picture yourself wearing shorts and sandals 48 weeks out of the year.

I'm too far gone. I don't think I could come back to the real world without years of rehabilitation.
Here's a picture I snapped this morning while taking my son to the kindergarden.
xn5atu.jpg

Oslo, March 26th.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually, my inner Luddite fears the future where anyone can build a custom guitar. Someone will perfect a chemical process to emulsify wood and shoot it through a 3D printer.

Look ma, I'm a luthier!
Ah, but not just anyone. Here's a great quote I just read in the latest issue of American Lutherie.
I have a smart phone in my pocket; a portable supercomputer. People think that because they have this, they have knowledge. Actually, it only gives them information. You can go online and watch a video on how to set a bass bar; that is information. But until you've done it a lot of times, you don't have the knowledge of how to pick out that piece of wood, where to place it, how strong to make it, and when to break the rules. That is knowledge. Knowledge comes with experience, especially the experience of screwing up.
~ Arnold Schnitzer - luthier, bass maker