Just bought 1st Guild 12 string

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
man, the hog back on that 212xl is really awesome!

lbrous2

Reaction score
I took tuners off of 1 side and they are the original factory Kluxons but in a configuration that is not like on any other Guild 12 string I've ever seen. (peaked at top) Ralf might be able to post the photo of tuners that in on the Onedrive link in my previous post. I can't seem to get them to post
Guitar is starting to really open up. Seems to get louder every day. The mahogany back makes the tone brite, but not too much. Starting to feel like Roger Mcguinn.
Just put my 93 J4-NT jumbo up on the bay. I never play it anymore

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Would attach photos , but cant figure out how. Says I do not have permission to post attachments. I bought Han's book and am now even more confused about build date. It has the Kluson tuners that were supposedly replaced by import tuners in 1966. It also has the black lines in the Chesterfield peghead. Serial is AE-428 but I saw a AE-392 w import tuners and a AE-502 with the oval guarantee label without the Hoboken on label. View photos at: http://1drv.ms/1NloaAc

Top of the forum is Forum News, Events, FAQs.
FAQ on posting pics
http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185122-FAQ-Posting-pictures-to-LTG

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ralf might be able to post the photo of tuners that in on the Onedrive link in my previous post.
IMG_2041.JPG

35204742_3_x.jpg

Regarding the built date, Hans might have info on AE 428 (the numbers were not available when he published the book). AE 519 for instance was built in 1970.

Ralf

Last edited:

lbrous2

Reaction score
Hoboken label F20 SB from 1969??? Brazilian rosewood fretboard?
IMG_2073.jpg
Hans?
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_20721.jpg

Last edited:

lbrous2

Reaction score
Now I can show my 1976 D25e with hot dot pickup. No knobs or battery pack needed. Sounds pretty good plugged in. Guitar is amazingly loud & clear unplugged. Believe that it is a spruce top stained dark/ Almost perfect shape except no more room to take saddle down.
redir
redir
redir

lbrous2

Reaction score
Just got this 1976 D25 M E with what I believe is the hot dot pickup without knobs or battery pak. Looks like
d25.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0326.jpg
a Spruce top stained dark. Very loud and clear. Great strummer.

lbrous2

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out. Serial is hard to read in photo. It is 132885. The funny part is that the D25M is in 1 color ink and the E looks to be in a light green

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Certainly that E is done in different ink, Lou.

Very cool. That's the type of D-25 that set the Guild world on fire. Probably the best acoustic value of its era. I remember sitting in my friend's dorm room (and later his apartment) as he used his D-25 to jam with me while I did rhythm on my Ibanez 12-string. His D-25 was one of the reasons I love Guilds to this day.

Not sure about whether you'd want to actually use the Barcus Berrys, but your saddle looks a bit low on string 1... Maybe you should do a new bone saddle for this bad boy. Don't sweat it if the guitar is playing well.

lbrous2

Reaction score
Thanks Chazmo,
I guess the 'E' was written on later? Have never seen one before. Actually sounds pretty good plugged in. Saddle is low because it is down as far as it can go & for now action is quite good.(Hopefully I'll get a few more years. Keep it tuned to Eb)
I was amazed the 1st time i strummed this guitar. I always used my HD-28 before, but now i just reach for the Guild. Surprisingly loud and crisp with lots of low end (not quite as much as rosewood martin though but louder). Perfect for so many songs. I previously posted pics of my F20. Not as happy with that. This makes 4 Guilds. 2 with Westerly labels & 2 with Hoboken labels. But, as Hans has pointed out, all Westerly built. She is certainly in very good shape for her age. Someone probably left it in case for 15 years tuned up and dropping saddle down was only choice for now. How rare are the 'Hot Dots'?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It probably was written on later, Lou. I don't know that for sure, but I can imagine that the pickup was installed at the last stages of the build, and then someone put the E on the label, probably based on an order fulfillment. That's great that it sounds good after all these years. A little surprising for sure, but glad to hear it!

Rare? No, not really. The good news is that they didn't butcher the sides or the top to install controls for these systems as they did with some other systems. Nobody minds a couple of MOP dots on the bridge, so the system is pretty benign.

Sounds like you'll need a neck reset at some point down the road, but hey play that sucker while you can. Keep an eye on the bridge; looks like it might be starting to pull away a little bit (not sure). Once that happens, you'll have to consider your options.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome! The easiest way to post pictures is to host them elsewhere and then use the insert image button in the reply toolbar to insert a link to the picture. That way, the picture shows up within your post.

Edit: Oops, never mind. I see you've got it!