Guild F-50 Standard New Hartford c2012 with photo

bbmclean1st

Reaction score
Picked up a pristine F-50 off ebay for a ridiculously low cost of $560 with OHSC due to the fact that the label with serial number is missing. I looked into it and Guild stopped stamping the back of the headstock with serial numbers for all New Hartford built guitars (and Tacoma as well, I think). There is zero evidence that there ever was a label on this particular guitar - no glue residue. I looked throughout the inside body and found no sign of a serial, but not my biggest concern. I noticed while researching the model that there aren't a great number of the F-50 Std's out there so I figured I'd write about mine.

I received the guitar in good, clean condition but in need of a setup. Shaved the still full-sized bone saddle and tightened the tuss rod. Now this guitar has incredible action with a booming yet clear and well rounded tone. It's a fantastic instrument as quality as any other top of the line model only really lacking in the inlay department, which is strictly an aesthetic and I can easily do without. It's a jumbo and it fits the description - It's large and powerful but the most notable aspect is it's dynamics. It really spans the spectrum of volume and sounds great finger-style and can go to 11 when you need that extra volume particularly with a pick.

The top is Sitka Spruce, with solid curled/flamed Maple sides, which have a beautiful depth to them. The Back is arched laminate Maple and the bracing is Red Spruce. Rosewood bridge and fretboard. Bone nut, saddle and pins. Chrome hardware

I was able to deduce the guitar to have been made in New Hartford as I believe all F-50 Standards were manufactured there for only a couple years beginning in late 2011/early 2012. They carried an original MSRP of $2,799 and sold for around $2099.

wLeO9f.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great score! I was just playing default's F50CE Standard the other night, and it was really a great guitar. I'd get one too, but I need another guitar like a hole in the head!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey congrats. That was likely an employee compensation guitar at NH. Have seen them before without labels/stickers and serial numbers, since the shop closed. Have personally seen and held one in the flesh, no label and no headstock stamp on the back. Just said Guild on the front of the headstock. It's no surprise yours needs a setup but If that is all it needs you did *really* good. Cheers

Neal

Reaction score
I own one of these, and it is a true keeper.

You can tell whether it was earlier in the production run (November 2010 through mid 2012) or later (late 2012-2013) by whether the back and sides are gloss or satin. The earlier models have satin necks with gloss back and sides, while Guild switched to satin back and sides late in the run.

Regardless, you got a super deal.

Neal

bbmclean1st

Reaction score
I own one of these, and it is a true keeper.

You can tell whether it was earlier in the production run (November 2010 through mid 2012) or later (late 2012-2013) by whether the back and sides are gloss or satin. The earlier models have satin necks with gloss back and sides, while Guild switched to satin back and sides late in the run.

Regardless, you got a super deal.

Neal

This one would fall into the earlier category having gloss back and sides and a satin neck. Considering that it was manufactured earlier I think we can eliminate the possibility that this was given to an employee and it would seem the label was simply removed. I appreciate the info - will now describe this as a c2011. Yeah, I'm satisfied with the deal I got for sure. Sometimes the best buys online are the gambles without a lot of photos or info.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
bbm, without the label, I don't think you can eliminate any of the options about how this guitar got to you. It's unfortunate, but that's all there is.

You should take a mirror and look around in the soundbox and see if anything can be found there. There might be something scribbled on the underside of the soundboard or possibly on the neck or heel blocks. Also, check under the TRC and see if there are any initials there.

bbmclean1st

Reaction score
Took off the tuss rod cover and put a video camera inside the body. No distinguishing markings of any kind. Too bad they stopped stamping the headstocks, kind of an inexplicable change. Even my Corona JF-3012 has the stamp, but then again it may have been built in Westerly and just assembled in Corona. Either way I'm very happy with the F-50 it's a lot different than my other steel string 6's.