NGD ........look what I just stole!

TVeye

Reaction score
First off, a big thank you to JohnW63 for bringing this to our attention (don't think I woulda' seen this on my own.)

'96 (FB000351), very good condition structurally and cosmetically, very minimal fret wear and a great neck.
Been hibernating for about 8 years. I haven't touched a thing yet (except pulling the cav cover.)

IMG_03731_zpsfwqlxgas.jpg

IMG_03751_zpsztmkvdjo.jpg

IMG_03791_zpsrlrkru8w.jpg

IMG_03761_zpsfwwjtkis.jpg

Not sure what's going on in here yet.

IMG_03811_zpsqhtzqibp.jpg

Check out those snazzy chrome pickup rings. Don't know what Duncan's are in there but they don't sound too bad.

IMG_03821_zpshjdkpwl0.jpg

And an original case that's only battered on the outside.

IMG_03711_zpsmdzxdovk.jpg

Nice quick and easy C-list transaction (I left quickly before he realized he was giving it away.)
Think I'm gonna stop before my luck runs out but, for now, drinks are on me fellas.
More pics to come after she's cleaned up a bit and updates on what I decide to do.

Mike_

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
An almost 20 year old guitar, and based on the case, it's been around a bit but .... golly, in beautiful condition!! Looks like you got yourself a DEAL, Mike!! Congrats, amigo!! :encouragement:

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
That was a steal. Glad you got it. Do you like the neck more than your 70s model?

TVeye

Reaction score
That was a steal. Glad you got it. Do you like the neck more than your 70s model?

Not sure I do. Don't know if I haven't had enough time with it yet or I got used to the '71's. It definitely feels bigger though, not SG big but, more fat and wide.

P.S........does this look like your guy's reissue case? The 100 is a little loose in there, thinking this may be for a different model.

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So THAT is who he sold it to!

Glad another LTG member got it. I ponder a lot of guitars but rarely pull the trigger.

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure I do. Don't know if I haven't had enough time with it yet or I got used to the '71's. It definitely feels bigger though, not SG big but, more fat and wide.

P.S........does this look like your guy's reissue case? The 100 is a little loose in there, thinking this may be for a different model.
Yes. I have the same (loose fitting) case for my cherry '96, but my black '96 has the older style rectangular case.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Well the 70's S-100 came in a rectangular case, not sure about the re-issues. It looks like a Bluebird case to me.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The case is period correct ( red interior). It's probably the OG case. The padding may have gotten worn a little if it's had any real action over the years, and made it looser. If the guitar is all good the case is doing its job! Cool those are Duncan humbuckers also. Maybe just leave it alone.

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd be surprised if that guitar ever fit snugly in those cases. When you're carrying it, you can hear the body flopping around.

TVeye

Reaction score
The case is period correct ( red interior). It's probably the OG case. The padding may have gotten worn a little if it's had any real action over the years, and made it looser. If the guitar is all good the case is doing its job! Cool those are Duncan humbuckers also. Maybe just leave it alone.

Pulled the pickups last night, what I found is a Pearly Gates Plus (PGP) and a '59 (NPR) in the neck. An odd set from a Strat with actual metal pickup rings. I learned, from the Duncan site, that the NRP from the neck means Reverse Polarity. So I have flipped it, as suggested, and removed the heavy chrome rings. They sound huge and will suffice until I can find a better replacement set.

TVeye

Reaction score
Couldn't resist a family photo. You can see I filled that extra hole (with a phase switch) and replaced the chrome rings.

Group%20shot_zpsie4hgwpg.jpg

Am I the king of the uncovered pickup or what?

Qvart

Reaction score
Well the 70's S-100 came in a rectangular case, not sure about the re-issues. It looks like a Bluebird case to me.

For awhile they came with the molded case like this one. '94-'96 I think. I kept the one from my red '96. Now it holds my '72 carved.

I think mine was #355. Non-original Duncans in this one, but if you like 'em, very cool. How much did you get it for (if you don't mind me asking)?

TVeye

Reaction score
I think mine was #355. Non-original Duncans in this one, but if you like 'em, very cool. How much did you get it for (if you don't mind me asking)?

$400, plus 20 minutes worth of gas.