One Personal Favorite

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This lady is SO talented. And her studio and album version of this song rocks. But this is live and .... it's amazing to me that you can take ONE talented lady with her guitar and if she's REALLY, REALLY good.... you can bring a whole auditorium in and this one lady can carry it like a CHAMP. One of my top two people in the music world.....

Shawn Colvin - Wichita Skyline (with a really great bow to Wichita Lineman... at least in the album version)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Down at the train they go to Independence every day
But anywhere else now seems like a million miles away
And I must have been high to believe that i would ever leave
Now I'm just a flat fine line like the Wichita Skyline

I rode on the airstream across the great lonesome afternoon
I wished hard enough to hurt, drove fast enough to catch the moon
But i must have been dreamin' again 'cause there's nothing around the bend
Except for that flat fine line, the Wichita skyline

As far as Salina I can get that good station from LaRue
I'm searching the dial while I'm Scanning the sky for a patch of blue
And I watch that black clouds roll in chasing me back again
Back to the Flat Fine Line, the Wichita skyline.

Song writing at it's best. :encouragement:

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Love it! Have you ever had the privilege of seeing her in person? I had hoped to see her with either Mary Chapin Carpenter or Allison Krauss, but neither ever happened.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Christopher, I saw her three times. First was The Strand down in Redondo Beach, CA. Small, intimate venue. Just her and her guitar on stage. Amazing. Then I saw her a couple years later up in Ventura, CA at the old theater there. Chris Isaac opened for her. Phenomenal concert. And then the last time was at the Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles, CA. Full on band, but did a little set in the middle with just her and her guitar. This lady is just phenomenal. Oh at the Wiltern Theater concert, during intermission she called out a surprise guest. None other than Joni Mitchell herself who walked out with her guitar and did three songs. What a night! I was high as a kite from the talent!! :encouragement:

Last edited:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I've enjoyed Shawn Colvin's music for many years now. I had the good fortune to see her in concert with Mary Chapin Carpenter, Patty Griffin & Dar Williams when they were on tour together in the Fall of '03. The four women sat in a semi-circle onstage with their acoustic guitars and swapped songs and stories for the entire evening. The highlights for me were SC's cover of "Killin' the Blues" and MCC's cover of "I Still Miss Someone". Johnny Cash had died only a few weeks earlier, and MCC's version of his song was a beautiful tribute!

Bill