Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Guild GSR Acoustic Models and Production Numbers

...and the NH Custom Shop models came with a certificate, with no model or serial number to identify said guitar.

Ralph
    Last edited by F312; 04-16-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Added info

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F312 View Post
    ...and the NH Custom Shop models came with a certificate, with no model or serial number to identify said guitar.

Ralph
    The 60th Anniversary must be the Custom Shop exception that proves the rule. The label has a model designation, serial number and an x of y notation.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    I also don't remember anything that could have been the background.
    It was the carpet on the work benches like in the final inspection room where the book was.
    Example:

Quote Originally Posted by F312 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    The 60th Anniversary must be the Custom Shop exception that proves the rule.
    That is something that nobody will ever understand, especially as the 60th anniversary model was the very first custom shop model. To remove the "Serial #" and replace it with a "Date" under the left line was simply a big error for all other models afterwards. What does a certificate mean with simply a date on it! Who in his mind had that idea in NH? They should have really had two lines on the left for model number and serial #.

Ralf
    Last edited by SFIV1967; 04-17-2019 at 01:19 PM.

My Custom Shop certificate reads, July 1, 2013. So now I know they're at least two dates out there.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
    To revive this, the number of GSR M85II basses that were actually manufactured is way less than 25. According to a conversation that I had with Kim K after getting mine, the number is more like 12. I'm not sure whether that number includes the one that Mavuser bought sans case from the New Hartford employee, which in that case would bring total production to 13. Of those, half of them were returned with broken headstocks, due to the relatively poor fit of the case, the large headstock on the bass, and I suspect some sub-par packing on the part of the shipping department. Kim told me that the less than planned numbers were mainly due to the difficulty in obtaining the necessary pickups from the guy that was making them, and part of the reason for that might have been that he knew that Fender might well reverse engineer them for the NS models, which I'm not 100% sure ever happened.

I follow searches on Reverb and eBay for GSR M85II basses to see if any of the ones with headstock repairs are getting resold, and have yet to see one. Not really sure if the returned ones ended up taking a visit to the band saw, but if that's the case, my M85II is one of six or seven.

there may have been some miscommunication there, Sandy. I own the B-stock one, it is #25 of 25. It did not come with a case, but it came with a tag that is #25. How many were actually sold and/or returned/broken, I could not say. If the case was too small then yes, it could very well be in the single digits as a result. I customized a Cassady case for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by mavuser View Post
    there may have been some miscommunication there, Sandy. I own the B-stock one, it is #25 of 25. It did not come with a case, but it came with a tag that is #25. How many were actually sold and/or returned/broken, I could not say. If the case was too small then yes, it could very well be in the single digits as a result. I customized a Cassady case for mine.
    Thanks for that Eric. I guess yours might have read "25", but Kim told me that there weren't more than a dozen of them total due to pickup supply problems. I have no reason to doubt him on that either, if anyone would know, it would be him. It's one rare bird, right up there with the Orpheum 000 12 strings, and the GSR F-40 Macassar.
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass, '10 F512NT,
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass