Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guild GSR Acoustic Models and Production Numbers

In addition to the two Renos, Tundra Music also still seems to have a GSR F40 Cocobolo in stock. I have been very tempted by this, as I bought an Orpheum 12 string from them and found out that they are quite flexible with their pricing.

https://reverb.com/item/3240799-guil...tford-usa-made

And possibly a GSR F30 CE Cocobolo:

https://reverb.com/item/5116642-guil...-made-last-one
    Last edited by merlin6666; 04-15-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin6666 View Post
    In addition to the two Renos, Tundra Music also still seems to have a GSR F40 Cocobolo in stock.
    I just wonder how the Reno's models came from them into Canada, so that Tundra sells them as new? And I think we had discussed this specific GSR F-40 Cocobolo previously as it has that wrong TRC from a Newark St. model on it.
    Ralf

Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post

Steve, since you started electrical GSRs in the acoustic GSR discussion, there are quite a few missing from your electrical list:
    GSR X-150D Savoy------26
    GSR X-180--------------20
    GSR X-180 bigsby--------5
    GSR X-500D Stuart------25
    GSR M-85 II Bass-------25 (24 regular basses and one B-stock model)
    GSR SF I Bass----------11
    GSR SF II Bass----------9
    To revive this, the number of GSR M85II basses that were actually manufactured is way less than 25. According to a conversation that I had with Kim K after getting mine, the number is more like 12. I'm not sure whether that number includes the one that Mavuser bought sans case from the New Hartford employee, which in that case would bring total production to 13. Of those, half of them were returned with broken headstocks, due to the relatively poor fit of the case, the large headstock on the bass, and I suspect some sub-par packing on the part of the shipping department. Kim told me that the less than planned numbers were mainly due to the difficulty in obtaining the necessary pickups from the guy that was making them, and part of the reason for that might have been that he knew that Fender might well reverse engineer them for the NS models, which I'm not 100% sure ever happened.

I follow searches on Reverb and eBay for GSR M85II basses to see if any of the ones with headstock repairs are getting resold, and have yet to see one. Not really sure if the returned ones ended up taking a visit to the band saw, but if that's the case, my M85II is one of six or seven.
    Last edited by twocorgis; 04-15-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '61 Mark VI, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass
    '10 F512NT, '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    GSR models are limited runs and came with labels and certificates indicating they were GSR models.

My recollection, which is certainly subject to correction, is that the GSR acoustic models were made on the same machines and to the same specs as regular production instruments. A key feature is that they allowed Guild to use wood that was unusual, scarce, hard to get or just "different". I would expect tonal differences compared to production instruments but would attribute that to different wood choices and not to building technique or bracing or some other "mechanical" variable. If you choose to pay more for a GSR model it is because you want the tone of that particular wood or the exclusivity of owning one of a fairly small number.
    I never saw a certificate for a GSR guitar, and the label is written in ink, (GSR), am I missing something?

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by F312 View Post
    I never saw a certificate for a GSR guitar, and the label is written in ink, (GSR), am I missing something?

Ralph
    Apologies for buttinksi, but I think he meant the labels do show them as "GSR xxx", whatever the particular model was, and "If I Remember Correctly" the certs were actually certificates of authenticity showing what number a particular instrument was, out of the total built.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by F312 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    "If I Remember Correctly" the certs were actually certificates of authenticity showing what number a particular instrument was, out of the total built.
    It is correct that the New Hartford standard labels just had a handwritten "GSR" on them, like "GSR F-30CE" as example:

However Ralph is right that no certificates were supplied with GSR models as far as I remember. The certificates started with the NH Custom Shop models only.

EDIT: The electric models sometimes had no GSR written on the label but the type of label and the model was unique. Example: GSR T-400:

Ralf
    Last edited by SFIV1967; 04-15-2019 at 11:58 PM.

The GSR Acoustic models didn't have what number of the run they were on the label I have seen of the 2 I have had the pleasure to own. They were just a regular New Hartford acoustic label with "GSR" written before the model description. I would imagine if you could ever find the Master Ledger from New Hartford you would be able to determine which on was which in the order of construction but to the best of my knowledge that Ledger hasn't surfaced since the close of New Hartford and no one seems to know it's where abouts.

My Corona Made 2003 D55 50th Anniversary has a slot for the number of the run on the label that states 10 of 50 but that is not a GSR Model.

On most of the New Hartford GSR Electric models I have seen they had a different Label fromt he acoustics that resembled Westerly's label design and they actually had a slot for what number of the run that particular guitar was along with the serial number. Also my New Hartford GSR X500D has the serial number on the back of the headstock like the Corona and earlier model Guilds.

Hope that info helps a bit.

EDIT: I see Ralph posted the same info while I was typing, LOL!

TX
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem, 2000 JF65-CE
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Brz #10 of 50, 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2011 F212XL STD, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2012 F50R Burst, 2012 F50R DTAR, 2013 F512 Burst, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS, 2014 GSR X500D

Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia

Quote Originally Posted by txbumper57 View Post
    to the best of my knowledge that Ledger hasn't surfaced since the close of New Hartford and no one seems to know it's where abouts.
    I am sure there are some people who know where it is. Just a teaser how it looked like in 2012:

Ralf

Blog Entries
    OK. I'll stand corrected. I can conflating the Custom Shop models with the GSRs when I made my incorrect statement about certificates of authenticity. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post
    I am sure there are some people who know where it is. Just a teaser how it looked like in 2012:

Ralf
    Note for the three days visible there were 8, 8 and 6 guitars finished. That reinforces the often stated belief that NH Guild production was less that 5,000 Guilds per year.

Source? I saw the book at the LMGs but they were pretty aggressive about not wanting people to photograph it (presumably because of what one could derive about production). I also don't remember anything that could have been the background but it's pretty obvious that my memory is not to be trusted :-) Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.