Guild GSR Acoustic Models and Production Numbers

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am curious about how many GSR Model Acoustic/Acoustic Electric Guitars were produced at the New Hartford, Conn. Plant and the Production Numbers of Each Model. Here is an excerpt from Wiki on the subject.

The New Hartford facility has also created a new line of specialty, limited edition guitars, referred to as the GSR Series. The GSR designation stands for "Guild Special Run." This series was first revealed to Guild dealers at Guild's dealer-only factory tour in mid-2009. These models feature unique takes on classic Guild Traditional Series models. GSR models include the F-20 (figured Cocbolo), F-30R (master-grade Rosewood), F-40 (figured Cocobolo), F-50 (figured Koa), and D-50 (figured Cocobolo), and Guild's only electric guitar to be produced since 2003, the GSR Starfire VI (only 20 produced). Each of these instruments features unique designs, wood selection, ornamentation, and has extremely limited production numbers.

They left out the GSR D40 Noir in the Wiki post. If anyone has info on the production numbers of the different models it would be of great help. Below is a list of the different Models with the production numbers. I know The D50 is 1 of 20 but can't find a definite number on the others. If I am leaving any model out other than the Orpheums please let me know. Thanks for the Help everyone!
:rugby:

Model ----------------------Production #
GSR F-20 Cocobolo------------?
GSR F-30 MG Rosewood----?
GSR F-40 Cocobolo -----------?
GSR F-50 Koa -------------------?
GSR D40 Noir --------------------?
GSR D50 Cocobolo -----------20

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I thought ALL the GSR runs were 20 guitars. Not sure where I got that idea, or if it's right, but I thought they were all 20. I'll wait and see.....

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
i am curious about how many gsr model acoustic/acoustic electric guitars were produced at the new hartford, conn. Plant and the production numbers of each model. Here is an excerpt from wiki on the subject.

the new hartford facility has also created a new line of specialty, limited edition guitars, referred to as the gsr series. The gsr designation stands for "guild special run." this series was first revealed to guild dealers at guild's dealer-only factory tour in mid-2009. These models feature unique takes on classic guild traditional series models. Gsr models include the f-20 (figured cocbolo), f-30r (master-grade rosewood), f-40 (figured cocobolo), f-50 (figured koa), and d-50 (figured cocobolo), and guild's only electric guitar to be produced since 2003, the gsr starfire vi (only 20 produced). Each of these instruments features unique designs, wood selection, ornamentation, and has extremely limited production numbers.

They left out the gsr d40 noir in the wiki post. If anyone has info on the production numbers of the different models it would be of great help. Below is a list of the different models with the production numbers. I know the d50 is 1 of 20 but can't find a definite number on the others. If i am leaving any model out other than the orpheums please let me know. Thanks for the help everyone!
:rugby:

model ----------------------production #
gsr f-20 cocobolo------------?
Gsr f-30 mg rosewood----?
Gsr f-40 cocobolo -----------?
Gsr f-50 koa -------------------?
Gsr d40 noir --------------------?
Gsr d50 cocobolo -----------20

gsr sf6------------------18
gsr t-500----------------25
gsr t-400----------------22
gsr m-75-----------------?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the electrics, I think the M75 was 23. Seems I read that Somewhere. I'm more interested in the Acoustic /Acoustic Electric Models.:rugby:

geoguy

Reaction score
There was also a GSR F30M (maple), & a GSR F47KC (koa, with a florentine cutaway). I have no clue re: how many were built of either of those two models.

Ralf stated awhile ago that he could only find 10 references to GSR F30R examples advertised for sale, between the US & Europe, even though Guild planned to build 20 of that model.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I added a few to the list. Yes, most of the acoustics had an intended run of about 20 but there are models were as few as 2 were made by various reasons.
Usually the deal was 10 are sold in the US and Canada and 10 between Europe and Asia.

Model ----------------------Production #
GSR F-20 Cocobolo-----------20
GSR F-30CE Cocobolo-------20
GSR F-30 Maple----------------20
GSR F-30 Rosewood----------20
GSR F-40 Cocobolo -----------
GSR F-40 Macassar-----------only 2
GSR F-47KC Koa---------------
GSR F-50 Koa -------------------
GSR D-40 Noir Mahogany----
GSR D-50 Cocobolo -----------20

If you talk about New Hartford limited editions you could technically also add the 60 pcs run of the Custom Shop 60th Anniversary F-30 Koa to the list.

Ren also did a total of 20 (as far as I read) other Custom Shop guitars "built to order" for Reno's in Fishers, called "Custom Star". There were 5 such Custom Star models: F-20, F-30R, F-30RCE, F-47MC, F-47R. Sounds like that 2 each were made in both NT and ATB to get to 20. So extremely rare.

gsr sf6------------------18
gsr t-500----------------25
gsr t-400----------------22
gsr m-75-----------------?
Steve, since you started electrical GSRs in the acoustic GSR discussion, there are quite a few missing from your electrical list:

GSR X-150D Savoy------26
GSR X-180--------------20
GSR X-180 bigsby--------5
GSR X-500D Stuart------25
GSR M-85 II Bass-------25 (24 regular basses and one B-stock model)
GSR SF I Bass----------11
GSR SF II Bass----------9

Also the GSR T-500 had 26 made, we have seen number 26 of 26 in Salzburg/Austria.

Ralf stated awhile ago that he could only find 10 references to GSR F30R examples advertised for sale, between the US & Europe, even though Guild planned to build 20 of that model.
Well, yes, I only found 13 in total on the internet and other sources, but that does not mean that less than 20 were made. Not every sold guitar in the world does appear on the internet.

Ralf

Last edited:

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
There were only two F40's in Macassar Ebony; one sold right away on Musician's Friend, one lingered for a long time at 8th Street Music near Philly, though it now appears to be sold as it is not shown on their website.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ralf, that's the first I've ever heard of the "Custom Star" GSRs for Reno's. Do you have any pictures or information about what was customized about them? I'll bet that happened in 2014, towards the end of New Hartford, right? Otherwise I would've expected to hear about them.

Reaction score
Hi,
In relation to the initial gsr release numbers I think Guild stuck to the 10/10 split for USA and Europe, I suspect with the last gsr models, the f30CE that more than 20 were produced, there are still a few for sale in the UK/Europe.
I have a gsr f20 and gsr f30ce, the only f20 I could find was from Joes Island Music in Langley and had to ship it to Scotland.
The custom star you are referring to I don't think is part of the gsr range, its called custom shop and the specifications are quite different, it seems more an upgraded f30 with different tuners and star fret markers, looks a bit wizard of oz.

Malcolm.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ralf, that's the first I've ever heard of the "Custom Star" GSRs for Reno's. Do you have any pictures or information about what was customized about them? I'll bet that happened in 2014, towards the end of New Hartford, right? Otherwise I would've expected to hear about them.
We actually have discussed them here multiple times, here is just one: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?179560-NGD-Guild-Custom-Shop-F20

The Custom Shop Custom Star models for Reno's in Fishers/IN were actually built mid 2013 already according to the certificates and you had discussed in some of the LTG threads about them as well! :)

The F-20 and F-30 models came with satin back and sides and satin neck.
The F-47MC and F-47R came with all gloss back sides and neck.
The wood was maybe of selected quality.
There were many star inlays on the headstock, the neck and the bridge (not all had the same appointments however).
5 models in 2 paint opitions = 10 versions. (links might disappear over time)

CS F-20 NAT: https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/i...85,w_620/v1379617041/kwz4afq8yflquierjxo7.jpg
CS F-20 ATB: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?179560-NGD-Guild-Custom-Shop-F20

CS F-30R NAT: https://reverb.com/item/26280-guild-f-30r-custom-shop-star-2013-om
CS F-30R ATB: https://reverb.com/item/263394-guild-custom-shop-f-30r-custom-star-acoustic-guitar-ren-ferguson

CS F-30RCE NAT: https://reverb.com/item/213399-guil...-custom-star-acoustic-electric-guitar-nautral
CS F-30RCE ATB: https://reverb.com/item/139491-guil...om-star-acoustic-electric-guitar-ren-ferguson

CS F-47MC NAT: http://www.guildguitars.org/guild-custom-shop-f-47mc-grand-orchestra-acoustic-electric-guitar-f47mc/
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w356828576
CS F-47MC ATB: https://reverb.com/item/213520-guild-f-47mc-grand-orchestra-custom-shop-acoustic-electric-guitar

CS F-47R NAT: https://reverb.com/item/6199093-gui...estra-natural-with-case-new-hartford-made-004
https://reverb.com/item/16361056-gu...nlay-on-fretboard-headstock-bridge-made-in-ct
CS F-47R ATB: https://reverb.com/item/6198199-gui...tra-antique-burst-with-case-new-hartford-made

Ralf

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you Google "Guild Custom Star Guitar" It will show an older Reverb ad for an F30 for reference.:rugby:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I suspect with the last gsr models, the f30CE that more than 20 were produced, there are still a few for sale in the UK/Europe....
The custom star you are referring to I don't think is part of the gsr range, its called custom shop and the specifications are quite different, it seems more an upgraded f30 with different tuners and star fret markers, looks a bit wizard of oz.
I don't think that more than 20 of any acoustic were made, it might be just that they didn't sell so well in Europe. And you are correct, I had only mentioned the "Custom Star" models due to the fact that they were special built to order guitars for one specific dealer which was not done otherwise in New Hartford. They were not GSR models.
Ralf

billymox

Reaction score
This thread addresses the production numbers. Are there defined aspects of construction that make the GSR models substantially more valuable, do GSR owners find these models to have superior tonal characteristics? How can you identify that your Guild is a GSR Model?

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Can't speak to any construction differences and leave that to greater minds than me (almost anyone would qualify). Tonal comparisons are always subjective and I try not to ever get into that debate (either you like it or you don't).

I can answer (I think) the last part of your question. I have two (2) GSR guitars and if I remember right both of them clearly say GSR on the sound hole label.

For me anyway, I bought them because they are really beautiful guitars and they were limited production which nearly always grabs my attention.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
GSR models are limited runs and came with labels and certificates indicating they were GSR models.

My recollection, which is certainly subject to correction, is that the GSR acoustic models were made on the same machines and to the same specs as regular production instruments. A key feature is that they allowed Guild to use wood that was unusual, scarce, hard to get or just "different". I would expect tonal differences compared to production instruments but would attribute that to different wood choices and not to building technique or bracing or some other "mechanical" variable. If you choose to pay more for a GSR model it is because you want the tone of that particular wood or the exclusivity of owning one of a fairly small number.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Frono summarized it nicely already, here is the official text from the old NH Guild webpage: "Guild Special Run Series guitars are distinctive limited-edition versions of some our most sought after and revered models. These exceptional instruments feature special and exotic wood selections and custom appointments not available on standard models, resulting in exciting new guitars that take the Guild legacy to new heights of elegant sound and performance. Released only a few times per year in small numbers, GSR guitars are exclusive and rare, ensuring that your instrument is not only finely crafted and very nearly one of a kind, but also a special piece of Guild history."
And yes, they all had a different appointments from standard models, so it is relatively easy to tell when you see a GSR guitar, at least for somebody who knows the details. Easier on the acoustic models (headstock inlays, fretboard inlays,...) on the electric models you need to know the details of the models in comparison to previous models. The labels however tell in most cases.

Ralf