New Purchase 1968 Guild F-212

bbmclean1st

Reaction score
Hey there. I'm a new guy here, but have used the site in the past as a reference. I picked up my 4th Guild today off Craigslist for what I consider a hell of a deal - 1968 F-212 for $525 out the door. Serial number AN 1840. It's also got a Fishman pickup, which I will likely remove to give the guitar a fully vintage look. The strings are shot but the guitar does sound great regardless. The bridge looks to have been re-glued and has a crack running horizontally through the string peg holes. The neck appears to have likely been re-glued to the body as well. I'd say these jobs were performed by a B+ Luthier. Both repairs are solid, but some glue is visible. There's a couple stable top cracks around the sound hole and a slight bit of warp there as well. the back and sides are in great shape as is the neck for the most part. There's is a crack around the headstock, which I find a bit odd simply because it basically circles around the head along the sides and top of the headstock. All in all, the guitar plays quite well (Even with filthy strings) and seems solid. None of the cracks/repairs are moving at all. I'll likely be taking it to a quality Luthier (Manny Salvador NYC) tomorrow to make any fixes he thinks it should get to ensure it's future.
I'm basically wondering if this was indeed a great deal and what the opinion of this guitar's condition is. I've searched around for '68 F212 and they're all in the $1200 ++ range, though there aren't a lot out there. Depending on how I get this bad boy cleaned up will probably decide whether I keep or sell. I've also got a JF30-12 made in Corona that is an excellent guitar but much different than this. The JF is built like a tank and can really take a punch. At first play, this guitar seems much better for finger picking. Will follow up with post cleanup/restoration photos when available. Thanks. - Brendan

*Not sure I'm able to post photos, but will once I figure it out. Thanks.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think it is a killer deal. 500 for a 1968 F212. You did a great thing rescuing that old Guild. Congrats and I look forward to the pics. Sounds like it only needs new strings for now, less those cracks are troublesome. Still $525 is a score.

charliea

Reaction score
I'm reserving judgment until I actually play mine. I bought a '76 with an action advertised as "low, easy to play", which was actually unplayable without a neck reset. It's currently at Fixit's getting the work done. Sounds like you paid less than I did, and got more, but that simply makes you one of a huge list of better shoppers than I am. Whining aside, it sounds like you got a great deal. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm reserving judgment until I actually play mine. I bought a '76 with an action advertised as "low, easy to play", which was actually unplayable without a neck reset. It's currently at Fixit's getting the work done. Sounds like you paid less than I did, and got more, but that simply makes you one of a huge list of better shoppers than I am. Whining aside, it sound like you got a great deal. Enjoy!

Looking forward to its return and some picks and maybe a sound clip or two. I need to seriously consider sending my BR in to Fixit, the action is just getting way out of hand and I cannot seem to solve the problem. I know he could rescue it, including refretting. The D25 just needs the work done. It is afterall 44 years old.

bbmclean1st

Reaction score
Here's photos of the F212. I dropped it off with a luthier this afternoon to get the cracks braced and glued, the headstock glued and the fretboard shaved down a bit where I've got a dead fret on 14. Getting it cleaned and a new set of light Elixer's put on. I imagine it'll take a couple weeks to get back but I'll be sure to post before and after photos when it's all done up. Thanks for the input.

MPzwz7.jpg

kpTB3J.jpg

fjvL5L.jpg