Just purchased 1968 F-212 looking for an opinion

bbmclean1st

Reaction score
/Users/user/Desktop/Guild F212.JPGHey there. I'm a new guy here, but have used the site in the past as a reference. I picked up my 4th Guild today off Craigslist for what I consider a hell of a deal - 1968 F-212 for $525 out the door. Serial number AN 1840. It's also got a Fishman pickup, which I will likely remove to give the guitar a fully vintage look. The strings are shot but the guitar does sound great regardless. The bridge looks to have been re-glued and has a crack running horizontally through the string pegs. The neck appears to have likely been regaled to the body as well. I'd say these jobs were performed by a B+ Luthier. Both repairs are solid, but some glue is visible. There's a couple stable top cracks around the sound hole and a slight bit of warp there as well. the back and sides are in great shape as is the neck for the most part. There's is a crack around the headstock, which I find a bit odd. Ive included photos below. All in all, the guitar plays quite well (Even with filthy strings) and seems solid. None of the cracks/repairs are moving at all. I'll likely be taking it to a quality Luthier (Manny Salvador NYC) tomorrow to make any fixes he thinks it should get to ensure it's future.
I'm basically wondering if this was indeed a great deal and what the opinion of this guitar's condition is. I've searched around for '68 F212 and they're all in the $1200 ++ range, though there aren't a lot out there. Depending on how I get this bad boy cleaned up will probably decide whether I keep or sell. I've also got a JF30-12 made in Corona that is an excellent guitar but much different than this. The JF is built like a tank and can really take a punch. At first play, this guitar seems much better for finger picking. Will follow up with post cleanup/restoration photos when available. Thanks. - Brendan

*Not sure if I'm able to post photos - will post if I can

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!

Seems to me you have an old Guild warrior on your hands. "Warrior" in the sense that it's been through a few battles and possibly been misused or even abused. So much for its past, it's the future you're in charge of now.
New strings are easy enough and taking it to your luthier is a good idea. When you get it home, just give it a lot of TLC and realize that you might have found a diamond in the rough. Such was the case with my F112-6.

Take care and post a few pics. We love pics here. :rugby:

Joe

*Tell us about your other Guilds, too.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Brendan! Welcome to LTG! Sounds like a really nice vintage find you got there! Glad you're taking the time and expense to bring it back to its former glory! Would love to see photos, before and after. Not sure if there's a moratorium on new people posting photos. You do have to host them elsewhere (ImageShack, etc.) and use the direct link using the tags, which you obviously know. I just think the link was wrong, as in not a full address. Keep trying.

Congrats!! :encouragement:

bbmclean1st

Reaction score
pbMPzwz7j

ipfjvL5Lj

idkpTB3Jj