NAD 1971 Guild Maverick

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice score! Glad that one found it's way into the LTG Family!!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Its got some funky idle noise... I think I hear aliens!! Besides that I love the tone.

It kind of has a mellow dark tone to it.

dave, it's not the quietest running amp but u can dial it in pretty nice. One thing about this amp it has to be played pretty loud to sound right. Also did it come with the footswitch? This would turn the trem and verb on and off altogether to help troubleshoot any problems (and is handy while playing, of course). That "dark tone" brightens up nicely on mine when I turn the treble on the amp up. Also I only play mine with the "bright,normal, dark switch" on the amp in the middle (normal) position.

the alien noise u speak of could be a microphonic reverb tube. Pull the reverb tube and see how the amp sounds without that tube (and without reverb). Should sound pretty good! The trem also runs a little loud but when u turn it off (with the footswitch) it is silent. If u play the amp loud enough none of that matters. The reverb on mine adds a huge volume/signal boost. My reverb pan has been changed to an accutronics 3-spring but I don't know if that would cause such a big boost or not. I've had the caps and resistors changed and new tubes so it may be out of spec now. It sounds amazing though. Crazy loud and quaking tremolo. Stadium rock! Have fun.

Reaction score
Another Maverick User

Hi,
Congratulations on scoring a Maverick! I recently purchased a Maverick from MGod here on the forum. Thank you again, sir!!

I had one when I was a pretty young, and I grew up with that sound in my head. My guitar teacher at the time suggested that we get that amp, and looking back his recommendation was perfect. It makes a great jazz amp, which is what I played at the time.

Fast forward to my college years, and I made some really bad gear decisions ... two of which were to get rid of my Gibson ES-175, and to get rid of my Maverick. I wasn't playing Jazz anymore, and thought I needed the latest, greatest rock amp. Anyway ... both decisions I regret.

So about 10 years ago I thought it would be cool to find another Maverick ... and I started looking. They are not easy to find ... especially in any decent shape!
I admit that I didn't look too hard, but every so often I would scour various web sites and Vintage Guitar for any sign of one. No luck until this January, when I say Mgod's ad.

I now have a Maverick again ... and one that is in very good condition for it's age. When I first turned it on and played it I was reminded of being an 11 year old aspiring guitar player. It was pretty cool to get to sort of relive a part of my past. Now ... if I could find that old ES-175!! :love-struck:

I hope you enjoy your amp. I know I am!

I think what I enjoy most about the Maverick is that it doesn't sound like many other amps. The reverb on these is very cool ... quite unique actually ... and best of all doesn't sound like a Fender!!

Enjoy yours!

Dennis E.

drc

Reaction score
I do like it, but I like my Silvertone amp even more. The Silvertone breaks up just perfect for me. I will play with the Mav for a couple of weeks than probably pass it along to another LTG'r.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm not able to do that until much later, but it's the standard maverick/Thunderstar/superstar/thunderbird footswitch...as seen here http://m.ebay.com/itm/291116595107?_mwBanner=1

Although I have typically seen them sell for less than $100, or even less than $50 on a good day. They do not pop up all the time though.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I only play mine with the "bright,normal, dark switch" on the amp in the middle (normal) position.

I actually have been playing the mav a bit in the "bright" position since this thread/post was made, and it sounds mighty good. the new speakers are well played in at this point, and mine is finally firing on all cylinders again. Dave did you wind up selling yours?

matsickma

Reaction score
The Maverick's 7591 power tubes sound outstanding when cranked. Interestingly...they came in two different amp control panel color schemes: red paint on metal and red with pink on metal.