New Starfire bass with 2 pups

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...at the moment the Chris Hillman Signature Starfire I is sunburst. There is a Summer(?) NAMM video kicking around where someone from Cordoba Guild states that there were only 70 Hillman Signatures made so if a bird in hand beats waiting then better order/reserve one now.
Yes, it was Scott Thompson, Vice President of Sales for CMG. It starts at minute 0:34 and at 0:54 he mentions multiple times the number of 70: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...r-NAMM-booth&p=1689116&viewfull=1#post1689116
Ralf

Yggdrasil

Reaction score
Nice. At least they think they have a date.

Since I see the word "sunburst", at the moment the Chris Hillman Signature Starfire I is sunburst. There is a Summer(?) NAMM video kicking around where someone from Cordoba Guild states that there were only 70 Hillman Signatures made so if a bird in hand beats waiting then better order/reserve one now.

Yeah, the Cordoba rep who emailed me pointed me towards the Hillman when I asked about sunburst- pup is in the wrong place for my taste.
The natural mahogany of the new Starfire II does look rather sharp- harkens back to my old Alembicized Starfire which was natural mahogany.

Last edited:

bassman10096

Reaction score
Any more info on when the two pickup Starfire's expected at dealers? I played a single pickup reissue yesterday and the GAS pains are starting up...

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

ric426

Reaction score
Sweetwater only shows "In a few weeks....": http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SFIIBassNat
Ralf

I think that's kind of their website wording when something is sold out but with more on order. I spoke to a sales engineer there today and was told that the first three they got were pre-ordered and were spoken for before they arrived. There were 4 more on their way, 3 of which were also pre-ordered, so I did the pre-order thing on the last one. I don't know if they have more on order, but if you call there they should be able to tell you. I would imagine that as long as they're selling they'll keep batches of them coming in. I wonder how many Guild (Cordoba) ordered for the first production run.

ric426

Reaction score
I got a call from the sales engineer at Sweetwater that the bass I put on pre order that was due this week, is now not expected until early October. The SE said I could still get the 3 year 0% interest deal if I paid for the bass by September 8th. Nope. Not gonna happen. I cancelled the pre order and will look for one elsewhere.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I got a call from the sales engineer at Sweetwater that the bass I put on pre order that was due this week, is now not expected until early October. The SE said I could still get the 3 year 0% interest deal if I paid for the bass by September 8th. Nope. Not gonna happen. I cancelled the pre order and will look for one elsewhere.

Good luck but if I were the kind of person to make a bet I'd bet that there won't be any available in the USA before October. For what it is worth my local shop would often quote me two prices on pre-order with the lower one being if I placed a deposit at the time of order. The discount was because the order tied up my money and left the shop with money that could be invested in other stock.

ric426

Reaction score
I got the one that was on reverb.com from Guitar Resurrection. Already on it's way.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I got the one that was on reverb.com from Guitar Resurrection. Already on it's way.

Nice. We await a full report. Your search fu is better than mine. My cynical comment was based upon my inability to find one that was actually in a dealer right now so I was thinking they had not even shipped. Wrong again.

ric426

Reaction score
Nice. We await a full report. Your search fu is better than mine.

No, Ralf is right. txbumper57 made it easy to find with post #45. With 8 other people watching it on reverb.com, I was surprised no one had snapped it up yet. As soon as I confirmed that my pre order with Sweetwater was cancelled, I went for it. I hadn't come across any others in stock searching online. I even called Cordoba to see if they could tell me which dealers to whom they had shipped any. The guy was supposed to call me back, but I never heard back from him. The Sweetwater SE told me that they'd received a total of 5 all of which were pre ordered, so I wonder how many were in the first batch Cordoba got from Korea. Apparently not as many as I would have guessed.

I won't receive the bass until later next week, but I'll give a preliminary report ASAP.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No, Ralf is right. txbumper57 made it easy to find with post #45. With 8 other people watching it on reverb.com, I was surprised no one had snapped it up yet. As soon as I confirmed that my pre order with Sweetwater was cancelled, I went for it. I hadn't come across any others in stock searching online. I even called Cordoba to see if they could tell me which dealers to whom they had shipped any. The guy was supposed to call me back, but I never heard back from him. The Sweetwater SE told me that they'd received a total of 5 all of which were pre ordered, so I wonder how many were in the first batch Cordoba got from Korea. Apparently not as many as I would have guessed.

I won't receive the bass until later next week, but I'll give a preliminary report ASAP.

Congrats Ric426! Guitar Resurrection is a great shop to work with and I am glad that one is going to someone on the forum. Can't wait to see how it turns out.:encouragement:

ric426

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link!
I called Guitar Resurrection before I pulled the trigger on reverb.com and they were very pleasant to deal with. It probably didn't hurt that I knew exactly what I wanted, told them I was ready to buy it and didn't hit them with a bunch of tire kicking type questions. I just wanted to get an impression of them and it all worked out great. I called them back after the reverb.com part of the purchase to discuss shipping options, it went out the next day and they sent the tracking info right away. Can't ask for much more than that.

ric426

Reaction score
Nope. UPS says tomorrow, though their tracking hasn't updated since it was scanned in Austin on 9/4. Sometimes the next tracking update is when it arrives in the destination city. Hopefully it's not sitting forgotten in a dark corner of a UPS facility in Texas.

ric426

Reaction score
Woohoo! Finally a tracking update! It left Maumee, OH an hour ago. That's a little over an hour from here, so it looks like tomorrow will be an NBD after all. We're usually one of the last stops of the day on the UPS route though. It's gonna be a long day...

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Woohoo! Finally a tracking update! It left Maumee, OH an hour ago. That's a little over an hour from here, so it looks like tomorrow will be an NBD after all. We're usually one of the last stops of the day on the UPS route though. It's gonna be a long day...

I'll bet you are on point today like a dog anticipating the Dinner bell.:dog: LOL!!! I know at my house when it is guitar arrival day I sit patiently by the window reacting to every noise I hear that sounds close to the delivery truck. I don't know who is worse about it, Me or my two Great Danes. LOL. Here is to hoping that you have an early delivery Schedule.:encouragement: Can't wait to hear about it.

ric426

Reaction score
Ok, here we go. Initial impressions as they come to mind.

Over all construction quality is excellent. As good or better than a lot of far more expensive instruments.

My first reaction when I plugged it in and started playing was "Oh no, what have I done.". I normally like D'Addario round wounds, but NOT ON THIS BASS!!!

The back end of the bridge plate was so high it was almost in line with the strings. This gave very little string angle over the bridge pieces. I screwed that down farther to approximate the position on my other NS Starfire.

Once I put better strings on it (D'addario Chromes for now, but I'm going to try some LaBella Deep Talkin' flats too) and adjusted the action, checked that the truss rod wasn't slack, it transformed into the bass I was hoping for. Good strings and setup made huge difference.

Didn't think I'd really use the master volume control, but I'm finding it to be really convenient, especially if I'm experimenting with pickup balance using the two regular volume pots. However, in an unforgivable lapse in quality control, the master volume knob came loose!!!

I'm not that happy with the cheap pots and jack they used, but not surprised. I'd like it if the tapers were more gradual on the pots, but it's not a big deal. They're certainly usable as is and I'll probably change them out in the future.

At 8 lbs. 6 oz., it's about 1/2 lb. heavier than my other Starfire, but it's got the stock tuners (which make it slightly neck heavy, but nothing a good strap can't overcome), another pickup and more electronics. At some point I'll try some Hipshot Ultralite tuners.

The case is apparently from another (Chinese) maker and is slightly different but as nice or nicer than the first one.

They did away with the cheesy gold printed serial number and Made in Korea text on the back of the peghead. They went with a nice classy label inside the upper F hole with hand written serial number.

The natural mahogany finish is very nice. Looks a lot better in person than any photos I've seen.

I'll take some photos when I can, but I all I have is my cell phone camera. We're getting ready for a mini vacation too, so it' may be a week or so before I can post any.

All in all, after changing strings and a little tweaking, I'm pretty happy with it. It's a keeper. If it could make my back stop hurting I'd like it even more.

Feel free to throw questions my way and I'll try to answer them.

Ric

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ric: Is the label inside still the same like they used in all other Newark St. guitars? Here is an example from NAMM 2013:

ib1mneJgy7q2HH.JPG

Ralf