Any room here for a Guild lover/enthusiast who builds guitars?

Balaguer

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have an intro thread over here: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?184049-Long-time-lurker-First-time-poster

I've lurked on here for quite some time and finally decided to join and contribute.

I'm currently designing my own take on my favorite Guild model, the S300, and I'd love to see what you guys think.

I call it "Enigma"

1644715885440.png

Few things to note :

1. I'll be changing it from a bolt-on (pictured in the drawing) to a set-neck construction.
2. I prefer 22 frets, so that's why I'm sticking with that instead of 24.
3. I'm doing a german carve around the body, as I love the carve from the old Rickenbacker Combo 800 models.
4. The pickguard follows the contours of the body, but I'm open to other design ideas. Definitely partial to the one above, but you never know!
5. I think I may shoot gloss black on this one, throw on a red tortoise shell pickguard, and stick with chrome hardware.

Would love some feedback and I think it would be cool to get input from other Guild enthusiasts, while I work on bringing this to life!

P.S. If you want to see more of my models, and are interested in build updates on them just let me know and I'll start posting.

- Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

Zelja

Reaction score
Hey Joe I missed the other thread so welcome to LTG.

Will the Enigma be in Korina? Judging by your website you seem to really favour that body wood. I have one guitar in Korina (Hamer Korina Jr) & I really dig it (once I replaced the overwound SD on there). What is it about Korina that you prefer to a mahogany body?

Balaguer

Reaction score
Hey Joe I missed the other thread so welcome to LTG.

Will the Enigma be in Korina? Judging by your website you seem to really favour that body wood. I have one guitar in Korina (Hamer Korina Jr) & I really dig it (once I replaced the overwound SD on there). What is it about Korina that you prefer to a mahogany body?

Hey Zelja,

Thanks for the welcome! I'm actually going with Mahogany for the prototype. I favor Korina because it is lightweight yet still retains tonal characteristics similar to Mahogany. I'm pretty open to any body woods though. Going to keep it classic with this one though, and stick with Mahogany. What did pickup did you put in that Hamer?

Balaguer

Reaction score
Very cool. I've never heard of them, but I will definitely check them out. I'm in the process of building some prototype humbuckers and P90s under the moniker "Hemlock Pickups". I'll have to build a few and pass them around to some forum members here to see what ya guys think.

Balaguer

Reaction score
Going to list my other models and some builds pics here, just incase anyone is interested in what I am up to. My approach to guitar design is quite simple. I love classic designs, but sometimes I personally feel they lack in certain areas. Areas that pertain to comfort, tone, and construction.

The pickups I'll be using for most of my guitars are from a small company in Pennsylvania called Hemlock Pickups that I own and operate. Started out from a few pickup designs I had in a notebook (wire gauge, output, magnet type, scatterwound) that I'm finally bringing to life (More info on that soon). I use CNC machines for my bodies and necks, but everything else is done by hand. I'm moving into a new shop in April, so things will be on hold until then, but I am definitely excited to get these out into the wild!

Grace DC
25.5" Scale
Korina Neck
Ebony or Rosewood Fingerboard
Korina Chambered Semi-Hollow Body
3 way switch
1 volume, 1 tone
Hemlock Backwoods P90s or Hemlock Evergreen Humbuckers
Bigsby B50 Trem or Tune-o-matic Bridge
Bound Body, Neck, and Headstock

Grace SC
25.5" Scale
Korina Neck
Ebony or Rosewood Fingerboard
Korina Chambered Semi-Hollow Body
3 way switch
1 volume, 1 tone
Bigsby B50 Trem or Tune-o-matic Bridge
Bound Body, Neck, and Headstock

Thicket
25.5" Scale
Hard Rock Maple Neck (vintage tint)
Rosewood or Maple Fingerboard (vintage tint)
Korina Body
5-way switch
1 volume, 1 tone
Bigsby B50 Trem or Hardtail bridge
Bound Body

Growler
25.5" Scale
Korina Body
3 way switch
1 volume (push pull), 1 tone
Jazzmaster Type Trem or Tune-o-matic bridge

Growler Baritone
27" Scale
Korina Body
3 way switch
1 volume (push pull), 1 tone

Here are some current prototype builds I am working on, and a custom shop one-off Thicket for my buddy Beau:

Prototype Growler (Robbin's Egg Blue/Sky Blue)

Balaguer

Reaction score
Prototype Growler Baritone (Trans Moss Green)

Custom Shop one-off Thicket for Beau from the band Saosin:

Beau & The Thicket:

Prototype Thicket:

The Prototypes are my finalized designs for the production models. I'll be updating my website in April will the full price list and how I am tiering my models.

Just_Guild

Reaction score
Thanks! That is very cool. You should come to the American Guitar Show in Oaks in June. I'll have a booth there.

Thanks! My nephew Charlie Martini should be here with us by then. He's one of the top guitarists in Venezuela, in process of moving here permanaetly. He loves the show and I'm sure would enjoy checking out your guitars.

Feel free to PM me.

Balaguer

Reaction score
Thanks! My nephew Charlie Martini should be here with us by then. He's one of the top guitarists in Venezuela, in process of moving here permanaetly. He loves the show and I'm sure would enjoy checking out your guitars.

Feel free to PM me.

Cool! I'll look him up. Hope to see you guys there.

Balaguer

Reaction score
Let me know what you guys think! 25.5" Scale, 22 frets. Semi-Hollow Korina body with a Maple Top. Korina neck with Ebony Fingerboard.

Grace DC Prototype (Matte White w/ red tort binding)

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice. I like the master tone and master volume setup.