Marrakech

Yoko Oh No

Reaction score
My sons band has an opportunity to travel and play in Morocco for a week. I put the squash on it. Opinions vary widely, most say its a completely lawless area and no place for young Americans, yet others have told me it's safe if you know how to navigate the area. I'm curious if anyone has any recent experience with north africa

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My sons band has an opportunity to travel and play in Morocco for a week. I put the squash on it. Opinions vary widely, most say its a completely lawless area and no place for young Americans, yet others have told me it's safe if you know how to navigate the area. I'm curious if anyone has any recent experience with the area.

My only frames of reference is that my sister and a female friend of mine went to Morocco on separate trips recently. Neither of them felt unsafe, and both enjoyed it immensely. It's a place that's on my to-do list in the future, if I ever get done with Scotland.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My globe-trotting nephew was in Marrakech a couple of years ago and had nothing but good things to say about his trip. He enjoyed the people and places he went and probably photographed everything there....he reminds me a lot of his uncle. :rugby:

Joe

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
^^^ Same here. Both my nephews here, both in their early 20's went last year and had a fantastic time there. No problems, no hassles. Nothing but good things to say from both boys. They loved the place, the people, and the culture, and hope to go again next year.
Wish I were going!

guildman63

Reaction score
Despite good experiences being had by some I would still err on the side of caution, at least at this time. There are many places I would love to visit in my lifetime, including much of Africa, Egypt, Greece, and Australia. The only place of those I would feel safe today without security is Australia. There is just too much craziness in the world today, and until it is brought under better control it's a risk I would not be willing to take. JMHO, of course.

Neal

Reaction score
Statistically, Morocco has one of the lowest death-by-violence rates in the world, along with Egypt and Greece. Their rates are way lower than the good ol' USA. And Australia, by the way.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/violence/by-country/

Southern Africa...not so much.

And do not under any circumstances travel to Guatemala. It takes the prize as the most dangerous place on earth.

Neal

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sometimes a great adventure includes some risk. As long as they are careful and behave, I think it may be an experience they will never forget. Perhaps if you chaperone them, you would feel better?

walrus

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Morocco is a very popular vacation destination amongst French Nationals, and whilst I haven't been, two of my brothers have (including one going there on frequent basis either for horse riding or to give early music concerts) and neither has ever reported anything, other than a great time, after their trips there.

Yoko Oh No

Reaction score
Thanks for your interesting responses. Many have said it is completely safe, and have traveled there without issue (most traveled prior to the Muslim Brotherhood or ISIS). One woman said her daughter traveled alone without issue. One man said his son and some friends traveled a couple of years ago. While walking through a crowded street in Casablanca a man came up to him and shook his hand, and when removing his grip, there was a bag in his sons hand. The man demanded a large sum of money for the hash...the boy dropped it, but the culprit summoned a police officer. The officer told the boy to pay for the hash, and then gave it back to the dealer, and told the boy to stay out of trouble or he'd be spending a substantial part of his stay in a Moroccan prison.

It's probably ok for a seasoned traveler to visit, but these boys are 20, traveling with $20,000 worth of instruments, and look American.

They've decided to rent a villa in Sicily on the ocean for $80 euro/night and pass up the opportunity to hit it big in Marrakech Thanks for the interesting replies.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your interesting responses. Many have said it is completely safe, and have traveled there without issue (most traveled prior to the Muslim Brotherhood or ISIS). One woman said her daughter traveled alone without issue. One man said his son and some friends traveled a couple of years ago. While walking through a crowded street in Casablanca a man came up to him and shook his hand, and when removing his grip, there was a bag in his sons hand. The man demanded a large sum of money for the hash...the boy dropped it, but the culprit summoned a police officer. The officer told the boy to pay for the hash, and then gave it back to the dealer, and told the boy to stay out of trouble or he'd be spending a substantial part of his stay in a Moroccan prison.

It's probably ok for a seasoned traveler to visit, but these boys are 20, traveling with $20,000 worth of instruments, and look American.

They've decided to rent a villa in Sicily on the ocean for $80 euro/night and pass up the opportunity to hit it big in Marrakech Thanks for the interesting replies.

The very same thing could very well happen in Sicily too.... no need to let paranoia spoil the fun of traveling, however. (And IMO)
Happy vacation to them!

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
These guys had nothing but good things to say:

hqdefault.jpg

Zelja

Reaction score
I loved Marrakesh but it's been almost 26 years since I was there. Great memories travelling on the night train from Tangiers to Marrakesh, listening to music (someone had a small boom box) & going between my western mix tapes & the local stuff. People were really friendly. Marrakesh was great - the market was an experience - sights, sounds and smells. Almost got into a bit of difficulty in Fez over a hotel bill (compounded by the 3 Canadian girls who were sort of travelling with us but stayed in a different room, leaving without paying their bill) but overall it was a great experience.

Sicily is another place I'd love to get to but haven't. I hope the boys enjoy it there. Malta would be a shortish trip from there as well.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mr. Nash wrote that song while still with The Hollies, and they rejected recording it as "not commercial enough".

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Mr. Nash wrote that song while still with The Hollies, and they rejected recording it as "not commercial enough".

I didn't know that!
You'd think if it was good enough for Keef and Brian and Mick to take a holiday it'd be good enough to sell some singles!