My Starfire in action

edwin

Reaction score
Here's a cut from the Shakedown Street show at the Fox Theatre in Boulder last August. I'm playing a '67 Starfire with ca. '73 Alembic Series II pickups and electronics and Alembic style hardware. Strings are Pyramid Golds and the signal path is stereo into an F2-B and then Radial stereo DI, recorded in stereo via Metric Halo ULN-8. Some light EQ in mix down (totally not sure about the EQ as I have just biamped my studio monitors, so it may be a bit bass heavy or bass shy. Feedback welcomed).

Enjoy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mh4zrbj2c37gwq1/Row Jimmy_1.mp3?dl=0

206558.jpg

Zelja

Reaction score
Really nice playing all round. Not really up with the GD but I quite enjoyed that!

Maybe a smidge more bass wouldn't hurt (as per my monitors) but the overall clarity/balance of the mix was pretty good, IMO.

Kudos & thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Must burn it to a CD since my PC does not do it justice.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Edwin, you all sound great and your rig post is fascinating. I'll have to listen to this on my desktop iMac though to really hear the bass. Nice work!! Did u record more than row Jimmy?

edwin

Reaction score
Edwin, you all sound great and your rig post is fascinating. I'll have to listen to this on my desktop iMac though to really hear the bass. Nice work!! Did u record more than row Jimmy?

I recorded the whole show. I've only mixed Row Jimmy with more than cursory attention. I'll have to get to more of it. We had Melvin Seals with us all night, so that added a nice touch.

I use my location recording rig for an in ear monitor set up, so it makes it super easy.

edwin

Reaction score
sounds nice edwin. What made ya go back to Pyramids?

I don't know, they just feel right. Something about the mids in the TI's don't really do it for me. I might try some D'Addario Half-Rounds and see if that gives me a later 70s tone.