F-130R Questions, Curiosity

Reaction score
Friends,

I've only been playing guitar for a few years, and up until a few weeks ago never really though about Guild as a reliable guitar manufacturer. That is, until, I was linked to the page for the f-130R. $750 for solid spruce top, and east indian rosewood back and sides (so says different websites, Guild only advertises as Rosewood)? This has to be too good to be true. I've read many different forums about certain guild's playing better than others (all guitars are different), and then many say that the F-130R is just an all around great instrument.

I unfortunately am not in an area where I can go test out and F-130R before I buy it (or any Guild, for that matter), so it would have to be a "fingers crossed" type of purchase...
Do any of you have this guitar that can comment on its quality/playability?

DCannon

Reaction score
Welcome!

I had a 2011 F-130R I bought new that I liked a lot, but it ultimately didn't work out as hoped for the type of music I play (Irish/Celtic in DADGAD), so I recently traded it. But the F-130R is a beautifully made guitar with good quality woods and excellent fit/finish, comfortable neck and nice playability. I liked the 1-3/4" nut width. The tone is on the bright side, but nice and sort of has that 'Guild sound', though not on the same level as the U.S. made F-30R...nowhere near the depth and fullness of my '72 Westerly F-30R. Before buying the F-130R, I played several at the local Guild dealer and they do vary from guitar to guitar, so if you decide to get one, be sure to purchase from a reputable vendor that accepts returns. Unfortunately, online purchases are a 'fingers crossed' proposition. I ended up changing out the tuners, pickguard, and saddle on the one I had. The F-130R is a fairly heavy guitar, predominantly neck-heavy.

Bottom line, you'll never know until you try one. And you may end up with a really good one that you'll enjoy for many years. BTW, have you checked LTG for used F-130Rs? That would be a good place to start since the owner can tell you how it sounds/plays, etc. if you find one.

Good luck!
DC

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
First of all, WELCOME TO LTG!

I'll have to go along with DC's comments, especially the part about playing it and feeling it and hearing it for yourself, as opposed to taking someone else's word for it.
I had one that I believe ended up with another member here.

But here's the thing, I also owned a GAD30 at the time that was the best of three that I've had and it sounded better than the F130R. The "fairly heavy guitar" part comes from the rosewood. The GAD 30 had mahogany back and sides and was a lightweight by comparison.

Here they are, side by side.

N6iHfS.jpg

Again, it's all in the ears of the beholder and my ears said to keep the GAD30.

Cheers,
Joe

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
First of all, WELCOME TO LTG!

I'll have to go along with DC's comments, especially the part about playing it and feeling it and hearing it for yourself, as opposed to taking someone else's word for it.
I had one that I believe ended up with another member here.

But here's the thing, I also owned a GAD30 at the time that was the best of three that I've had and it sounded better than the F130R. The "fairly heavy guitar" part comes from the rosewood. The GAD 30 had mahogany back and sides and was a lightweight by comparison.

Here they are, side by side.

N6iHfS.jpg

Again, it's all in the ears of the beholder and my ears said to keep the GAD30.

Cheers,
Joe

It ended up with me, and I'll vouch for the guitar's quality. It's very well made, and it sounds good. I don't play it much, in part because I'm not wild about the 16" fretboard radius (purely a matter of personal preference). But it's a very nice guitar.

DCannon

Reaction score
I agree with Joe that the original GAD 30 was consistently superior to the current F-130R. And as mentioned, the weight is in the difference in woods, with the mahogany being noticeably lighter. One of my favorite current 1-series Guilds is the all-mahogany D-125. The ones I've played have been pretty consistent with a nice, full tone. I've also played some very nice F-150Rs, which have a more 'mature' sound than the smaller F-130R. But they're also a little more $, although ZZounds has a blemish F-150R for $769.95. http://www.zzounds.com/item--GLD3814010?siid=111064&gclid=CMy2r7W_2MMCFRcjgQod2jEAGA

DC

Neal

Reaction score
I have owned a GAD D-140 and a an F-120, and both were good buys. The way I see it, you have four choices:

1. Buy a new F-130R or F-130 for $750.
2. Buy a used F-130R or F-130 for around $450.
3. Look for a vintage American-made F-30 (Westerly, Corona or Tacoma) in decent, but slightly dinged, shape for $800-$1000. They are out there, if you are patient.
4. Bite the bullet and spend probably $1000-$1200 for a used New Hartford F-30 or F-30R Standard.

If it were my money, I would be trolling the Internet for an American-made F-30 of some description. IMO, they just sound better than their Chinese GAD counterparts.

Neal

Reaction score
Welcome nglyder,

I have a 2014 F130 that I am very happy with. I am very pleased with the way it sounds, although mine has mahogany back & sides, not Indian rosewood, so it would differ sonically from what you are considering.

That aside, I can vouch for the build quality. It is excellent. You simply cannot get this level of materials and workmanship under $1,000 any other way. I’m not proud to be suggesting that you purchase a guitar whose manufacture was offshored to China, but you have to give Guild credit where they are due for hitting it out of the park with some of these Asian models.

Like yourself, I have not been playing long, and I was turned on to the F130 because of the comfort it offers thanks to its orchestra-sized body. I find dreadnoughts uncomfortably large, and if you feel the same way you will probably love the F130. Orchestra is a wonderful size -- the perfect compromise between comfort on the one hand, and range & volume on the other.

As Neal said, you don’t need to pay more than $450 for this guitar. You can find almost-new models on eBay for $450-$600 all day long. (Which is exactly what I did.) Others are suggesting better guitars that expectedly cost more money, which is great of course if you have the money to spare, but if your budget really is in the $750-or-less neighborhood, you can’t beat the value offered here.

Either way, I hope you wind up with a guitar you love! Welcome to LTG!

billymo

Reaction score
And the older model GAD50 dread rw is consistently superior to the current D-150 (still GAD Series).
nglyder, you could also consider hunting for a GAD30 and the larger GAD50 rosewood dread, which is an absolute grand guitar.

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the responses!

I guess it is time to start trolling Ebay....wish me luck. This process is gonna be a long one