Nick Drake's Guild M20

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
An impressive new 445-page book, *Remembered For A While -- The Authorized Companion to the Music of Nick Drake*, was published recently, which among many things, recounts the details behind the album cover shoot for ND's *Bryter Layter*.

The shoot took place at the flat of photographer Nigel Waymouth in early March, 1971.

From the book, page 225:

"Contrary to popular belief, the guitar on the cover was not one of Nick's. It is an early 1960s Guild M20, formerly the property of Eric Clapton who left it in his flat in The Pheasantry, Kings Road, as Nigel Waymouth moved in. It was given to Nigel who sold it in 1973 to Nick Laird-Clowes (later of the Dream Academy) for £100. The chair was reputed to have once belonged to Charles Dickens and the shoes were Nigel's own."

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So now they'll have to invoke Clapton's name when selling an M-20?:chuncky:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
LOL. Love this ongoing tall tale. So clapton must have really loved his M20 :). I heard that he wrote Layla on a small bodied all hog guitar, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Who is Nick Drake and why is there a 445 page book on him?

Nick Drake
Achieved icon status here due to the presence of a Hoboken M20 on the cover of one of his albums.
Well, ok, I guess the boy had a touch of talent, besides.
Ever since then, all Guild M20's achieve a minimum of 50% over market asking price by sellers who are keenly aware that Mr. Drake once owned every M20 on the planet at one time or another.
Sadly, that myth has now been busted and we must acknowledge that the true holy grail, Clapton's M-20, is still out there somewhere, awaiting eventual discovery.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember that commercial. Thought the guitar was cool.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Al, yhat is hilarious. Knee deep in my 2nd cold beer, that is hysterical.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, yhat is hilarious. Knee deep in my 2nd cold beer, that is hysterical.
:happy:
And veering right off the tracks here, that little snippet was from this episode of Top Gear:
http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-season-13-episode-7-full-episode-l_part-1_699174.htm
There's 3 more in there as well as the complete backstory for how each one came to be...
it helped cement my enduring loyalty to the show, but my alltime favorite is this one:
[video]http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/74643591001[/video]
spoiler alert: Make sure you watch that one to the end!
:wink:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like it when Top Gear wrecks caravans (britspeak for motor homes) and tips over in Reliant Robins (three wheeled cars) the best Al. Also memorable was the indestructible Toyota pickup truck, which is still on a plinth in the studio. Mrs. Two is a huge fan, and she's not even into cars! Series 22 just started a couple if weeks ago. Might be the greatest TV show ever!

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like it when Top Gear wrecks caravans (britspeak for motor homes) and tips over in Reliant Robins (three wheeled cars) the best Al. Also memorable was the indestructible Toyota pickup truck, which is still on a plinth in the studio. Mrs. Two is a huge fan, and she's not even into cars! Series 22 just started a couple if weeks ago. Might be the greatest TV show ever!

...and don't forget the piano falling on the Morris Marina. Classic!

"How hard can it be?"

Manic Manager

Reaction score
but still....Drake or not the M20 is a cool guitar. I love small bodies and that flavor of wood be it Martin or Guild.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I like it when Top Gear wrecks caravans (britspeak for motor homes)
Speaking of which, is it just me, or is there something distinctly "Floyd-ian" about this whole concept?:
promotion2.jpg

but still....Drake or not the M20 is a cool guitar. I love small bodies and that flavor of wood be it Martin or Guild.

NO arguments there but I got a suspicion that Layla was written on Clapton's go-to acoustic guitar of the era, an F50:

tumblr_mf3241l9pN1qzhoqfo1_1280.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I havnt got a clue who Nick Drake is but a 1962 M-20 might be my favorite Guild I've played so far (tough call between that and the 1970 F-20). The 62 M-20 is a beast that stands alone in its own right, however.

Bigdog409

Reaction score
Hey Mavuser, I have to agree with you. I love the guitar sound in Pink Moon, regardless if Nick Drake played an M20 or not, my 64 M20 has the sweetest tone of any guitar I've played or owned. It will be with me till the end.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Mavuser, I have to agree with you. I love the guitar sound in Pink Moon, regardless if Nick Drake played an M20 or not, my 64 M20 has the sweetest tone of any guitar I've played or owned. It will be with me till the end.
Nice! I see you also own a flat back mahogany top D-25. Another of Guilds flat-backed finest. Sweet!To me, those 2 are "Martin killers." But, I see you also own a Martin...why choose? Cheers!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here's "River Man," from a John Peel session recorded in 1969. IMO the best version of the song extant. The master tape was erased by the BBC but the broadcast was fortunately recorded by somebody.

http://youtu.be/Z1kPyXQzMxM

-Dave-

thanks Dave. that recording/upload was a little rough but i checked out the album Pink Moon, which is quite excellent. It does sound a bit like an M-20...HA! the plot thickens

Eric