Starfire Tuners - 11/16 Style?

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Could someone enlighten me as to the type of tuners that would mount on a guild starfire? I'd prefer not to drill new holes as my bass already has a mangled headstock and doesn't need any more damage.

The hip shot b3 tuners look like a match which are 11/16. But I'm just not sure. Any suggestions on nice tuners that would fit and are available in matte Black is appreciated!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dunno. Perhaps reading here will be helpful until someone who knows what they are talking about comes along. (All my basses have the factory tuners and I'm fine with that so...)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have some info and a couple pictures to add later when I get home. There appears to be several different replacement tuners for the Starfire bass, that were designed for drop in replacement without drilling any new holes. Not sure about finding them in black or why you want to do that on a 67 SF bass (but suppose I could think of much worse ideas)

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Cool let me know. I want all black hardware as I think it will look nice with the Sunburst. On a cherry finish, not so much. I just wanna customise it a bit and the A string tuner doesn't have the friction to hold in place that it probably used to

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
well to be honest, im not sure any of these first options will be an exact fit, but they will be close, or possibly close enough for your repaired headstock.

the bottom headstock of this picture is a factory 1967. the top headstock is a factory 1998 with Grover tuners. notice the Grovers are longer, these tuners are said to be an upgrade from the vintage. perhaps you can find a set, although this would require new holes, might be worth it.

v685.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is a 2014 GSR M-85 bass that presumably has the same tuners as a Newark Street bass. This might be a drop-in replacement tuner for vintage, or possibly not, but would be close. again they are longer than vintage tuners and likely at least a slight upgrade for one reason or another. made by Guild/Fender 2012-2014 is what I know of them. maybe these are available as stand alone Newark Street parts. have seen NS SF bass parts sold like that (bridge, nut, pots...)

PJcyfT.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i pulled these off ebay (someone has a crazy green jetstar bass for sale!) these Fender tuners are not a perfect match for the Jetstar but its close. iv'e never seen a 65-66 Jetstar so can't say if these may work on a Starfire or not:

aM2WY6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

nBiwVB.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and here is likely your best option, just find a NOS vintage replacement (the E tuner on this bass is not original, but is in-kind replacement)
7iom.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]