Modern country music...what has happened to you?

jthrel

Reaction score
I do too Joe. I read a review that called "Southeastern" a "master class in songwriting, and I agree. A while back Jason sent out requests for pictures of loved ones that died of cancer for the video of "Elephant". I sent in a picture of my mother in her younger years, and it can be seen right at the two minute mark (obligatory warning, one F bomb towards the beginning). A beautiful, but terribly sad, song.

Mostly...Thanks for sharing a piece of your heart Sandy. On a much less important level, I checked out Jason Isabell on your recommendation and found a songwriter that is worthy of the title "artist". I've been listening to a number of Americana artists and Mr. Isabell seems to fit into the county end of that spectrum. He will be on my listening list rotation for awhile.

Best,

Al

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can handle the F bomb but this song really cuts to the heart. As you said, a "beautiful, but terribly sad song."

*Nice shot of your Mom.

Joe

Thanks Joe. There's a story behind the photo as well. It was taken by Richard Casey when he and my mom were dating while she was pursuing her Master's Degree at Syracuse University in the late '40s. Richard would go on to be married to someone else, and run Casey's Camera in Las vegas for many years. My mother reconnected with him after my father passed away in 1993, and he ended up being my stepfather.

Belated condolences, Sandy. That is a classic heart-wrenching song...

walrus

Thanks. Have to fight off tears every time I hear it. We go to see Jason whenever he comes to NY, as it's not very often, and it's coming up a week from this Saturday at the Beacon Theater. Jason, especially when he's with the 400 Unit, never disappoints, and we've got some prime seats :apple:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mostly...Thanks for sharing a piece of your heart Sandy. On a much less important level, I checked out Jason Isabell on your recommendation and found a songwriter that is worthy of the title "artist". I've been listening to a number of Americana artists and Mr. Isabell seems to fit into the county end of that spectrum. He will be on my listening list rotation for awhile.

Best,

Al

You're welcome Al. I've always thought that Jason Isbell was a seriously under appreciated artist, and have been a fan since the days when he was with Patterson Hood (also no slouch) in the Drive-By Truckers. His solo stuff since he left the band has never been anything less than outstanding, and he's starting to get a lot more popular. Even a year ago, he never would have been able to sell out the Beacon Theater. Good for him!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, Sandy!! Casey's Camera...... right down the street!! Love the local tie in...... :encouragement:

Six degrees of separation Tom! I know that when he sold the business, it stayed as "Casey's Cameras" for a while, but now it seems to have changed names to "B and C". Liberace was his landlord!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Any of you Isbell fans see this story from late last year? I got quite a laugh as I'm sure he did.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...re-request-to-audition-for-the-voice-20141119

I remember this, hillariois! Isbell and his album Southeastern are tremendous! Also check out Shooter Jennings (Waylon's son) he is really great and had an all star band. And the Little Willies featuring Jim Campilongo and Norah Jones, and another of Jim's bands- Jim Campilongo with Honeyfingers.

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
Love Shooter. I think he does a weekend show on XM's Outlaw Country station, too.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Love Shooter. I think he does a weekend show on XM's Outlaw Country station, too.

nice, that makes sense. hes got a song called "Outlaw You" about all the newer country artists that think they are playing "Outlaw Country Music." his last 2 albums are also killer.

InvisibleWren

Reaction score
Guild Total
In the words of the song mentioned a few posts ago by Shooter, "Country ain't about where you're at. It's about being true to what's inside."

Jason and Sturgill are my favorites, but some new country artists making good music still are:

Whitey Morgan and the 78s (saw him a few weeks ago. He was killer.)
Austin Lucas (folk/country and punk rolled into one. Great songwriter. His latest effort Stay Reckless is fantastic)
American Aquarium (country-rock, heavy on the rock on this years album, but Burn.Flicker.Die is incredible and plenty country)
Hayes Carll (need I introduce him?)
Dylan LeBlanc (Pauper's Fields. 'Nuff said.)
Corb Lund (Canadian's best export.)

mario1956

Reaction score
Hilarious!! Country music now absolutely sucks. I'ts all about hangin with my friends, gettin drunk, and gettin naked at the beach...Creativity has been removed for the big bucks. I wonder how long this can survive. Actually the whole popular music business has turned into this kind of absolute mediocrity. I think people don't really care because they have a lot of other things now to entertain them and no one wants to be real anymore.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hilarious!! Country music now absolutely sucks. I'ts all about hangin with my friends, gettin drunk, and gettin naked at the beach...Creativity has been removed for the big bucks. I wonder how long this can survive. Actually the whole popular music business has turned into this kind of absolute mediocrity. I think people don't really care because they have a lot of other things now to entertain them and no one wants to be real anymore.

I don't believe that for a minute Mario. There's tons of great new music out there. You just won't find it on commercial radio.

mario1956

Reaction score
I don't believe that for a minute Mario. There's tons of great new music out there. You just won't find it on commercial radio.

Note I said "popular" (commercial) music. There was a time where even commercial music had it's bright spots but not anymore. You have to dig deep now to find anything worth listening to.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Note I said "popular" (commercial) music. There was a time where even commercial music had it's bright spots but not anymore. You have to dig deep now to find anything worth listening to.
I get what you're saying, to find any "good new stuff", yeah, it seems like I have to dig a lot harder than I did in my youth, although my tastes have changed too.
That clip I posted was inspired by a local PBS station that runs an eclectic mix of programming over the course of the week. It even turned me onto some modern bluegrass I never would've expected to like or even thought to look for, a while back.
I keep 4 PBS stations preset on my car radio now 'cause they seem to offer the best chances of hearing something new and unusual. College stations are a close runner-up.
That whole issue about the music business becoming "commercialized" has been aorund for at least 40 years now, and I'm thinknig it's kind of a circular logic argument.
I mean, of course it's commercial and homogenized and subject to fads just like any other pop culture phenomemon.
Do we get kind of sick of the same old same old formulas after a while? Sure.
But it seems like more folks want to hang on to whatever made 'em happy in their youth, than want to be exposed to somethingreally different once in a while.
So we get "Classic Rock" stations and "Pure Country" (which these days means "Classic Garth Brooks").
Thank the lord for freedom of the airwaves so I can tune in somewhere else!!