Guild Sighting Peter Tork

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
very cool. looks like an F20 to me, so small, but hard to tell for me.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great clip! And the interview was pretty interesting, too.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
very cool. looks like an F20 to me, so small, but hard to tell for me.
Yeah they're very similar but I couldn't remember if '20's had chesterfields, why I guessed a '30.
I'm kinda hopin' Hans will confirm exact model.
Update:
Definitely not a mid-'60's F20 going by this photo:
87972-2.jpg

Different pickguard style and no chesterfield on that '65.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
well, the more i watch the video, now that lower body depth looks way more F30ish, no?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
well, the more i watch the video, now that lower body depth looks way more F30ish, no?
Didja see my update with the pic of the '65 F20? :wink:
Even more update, what appears to be the same guitar from a CBGB's appearance in '77:
Peter-Tork-Rolling-Stone.jpg

If not F30 could even be F40?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's a different burst in the vid than in the cbgbs pic....

I'm about 99% sure that's just due to stage lighting in vid vs. b/w lo-res photo.
Looks like it even has that same p/u, bu-u-u-t...the one in the vid looks like it's got 2 clear non-original pickguards (easily enough added) but the one from '77 definitely doesn't, so.....you might be right.
OR maybe it was re-finned when original 'guard was removed and clear 'guards installed.
Will post if I find any confirmation one way or t'other.

Ronald Reagan

Reaction score
Apparently same guitar...just refinished:

Peter's Guild guitar was purchased in Nashville, Tennessee in 1967 and he has had it refinished several times. It was most recently used during his 2013 In This Generation solo tour.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Reviving this necro-thread:
3 years later I find evidence of the F30's possible first re-fin:
NO TRC:
9101241_orig.jpg

UPside down TRC(!) (Apparently this has been a fashion since long before the invention of eBay), no pickguard, and NO BURST!:
3fe4c1343d75012e830dff054021c1d8--peter-tork-peter-otoole.jpg

Sadly some of the earlier phots links are dead....
So how about this cameo shot from the TV show as a consolation prize:
petergibsonmicky_orig.jpg

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great photos!

I'm hoping that's a mannequin in the background of the first photo, and not a victim of too much LSD...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Great photos!

I'm hoping that's a mannequin in the background of the first photo, and not a victim of too much LSD...

walrus
Not LSD.
Frodis smoke, as depicted in the vey last scene of the very last episode, "Mijacogeo (the Frodis Caper)", just before Tim Buckley's set with his Guild 12-string with the mismatched pickguards:
"
The sun rises one morning, causing a suspended rope to burn and trigger a phonograph which plays The Beatles’ song “Good Morning," waking Michael, Mickey and David who all drop their alarm clocks on the floor to shut them off. But when Peter’s alarm clock continues to ring they all jump out of bed and realize he’s missing. They soon head downstairs and search frantically around the pad, even going so far as to visit Michael as The Lost and Found Man but it seems hopeless until David finally finds Peter in a trance, frozen in his easy chair in front of the TV set, showing a huge eye (disguised as a test pattern) planted with subliminal triggers, pulsing to strange music. The Monkees nearly fall into a similar trance themselves until Michael quickly turns off the TV. Then they head outside as Michael explains what’s going to happen after the commercial.

"In a slow motion-paced “Typical Monkee Romp” set to “Zor And Zam,” Wizard Glick and his minions are in a hot pursuit of The Monkees carrying The Frodis and Peter:

frodisplant2.jpg

....who manage to make it to the Frodis’ spaceship which is on a hill. Glick and his men are about to capture The Frodis and The Monkees when the alien emerges from his spacecraft and emits a strange smoke:

the-frodis.jpg

...sending the fiends rolling around the hill, laughing in the midst of a love-in. The Monkees along with Peter who is finally out of his trance for good and the Frodis rejoice in their triumph."

Tim Buckley is apparently under the influence of the Frodis smoke himself:
2239-tim.jpg

More of Peter's F30:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?190198-Peter-Tork-Guild-Content

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
3 years later I find evidence of the F30's possible first re-fin
The guitar in the video is a different guitar from the two pictures. I'd say a F-40. Just compare the rosette.
However the one in the "no TRC" picture is the same like on the 3rd picture, and they look like F-30s. Exact same sunburt.
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The guitar in the video is a different guitar from the two pictures. I'd say a F-40. Just compare the rosette.
However the one in the "no TRC" picture is the same like on the 3rd picture, and they look like F-30s. Exact same sunburt.
Ralf
I'm better than 99% positive the Pleasant Valley Sunday vid is an F30 that's been with him all this time.
Look at the proportions again at 1:07
The rosette actually looks like the one in the b& w pic, or the rosette may have needed replacing after 35 years of playing.
See Ronald Regan's post #13, he pointed out that it's been re-finished multiple times, and in the video it has the clear pickguards previously mentioned and which might actually be barely visible in that b&w center photo.
I seem to recall there was also a mention that he actually DID have more than one, and the "Natural" in the center photo may have been the one actually refinished.
However you now have me wondering if it's possible the "Natural" in the B&W photo might actually be an F40 that was re-finned? It looks like it actually might have the clear 'guards, too.
When searching for a link to replace the photo in post #8 I came across this:
7358988_orig.jpg

Definitely looks like that same sunburst F30 from the '60's, photos're supposed to date from '77.
278324_orig.jpg

Gonna do some more digging to see if I can find evidence of him owning an F40 (or F47, even).
Give the Jetstar bass, the FS20ce, and possibly at least 2 F30's I'm starting to think it's quite possible

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
After all the previous speculation, just realized, it's been staring us in the face:
Look at the bridge clearly visible in much of the video, sure looks like an F30 bridge to me.
Wouldn't an F40 without fretboard inlays from any period that could be in a 2013 video have the "points" style bridge?
OK< I see Tacomas didn't have "points" but they had G-shields....
And finally, here's a '68 F30 that has that big wide extra circle in the rosette:
https://www.gregsguitars.net/guild-f30nt-aragon-for-sale.html
9f8d1338a662bc83b3a6ae071084d51b

Yeesh, I'm starting to get F30 GAS, here.....
:glee:

Last edited: