Emi Sunshine drops in the Wayne Henderson workshop . . .

Sperry

Reaction score
Tuesday coming back from a long visit to Tempe (and Acoustic Vibe Music) I dropped in on Wayne Henderson and watched him and his daughter work. Emi was in town after playing the Grand Old Opry.

She played a couple tunes on Jane's personal ukulele.

This image is a link to a whole mess of photos . . .

Upcoming on American Toolbox, interview with Wayne. This spring, interview with Hearne Hardwoods of Oxford, PA Supplier to top guitar manufacturers in America . . .

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I enjoyed looking at the photos! Whenever I have seen pics of Wayne Henderson's workshop, there are always people hanging around... reading a magazine, drinking a cup of coffee, etc. It seems like a friendly place to visit. I like the shot of Wayne's famous "cubbyhole" post office boxes filled with back orders, some probably years old! Bill

Sperry

Reaction score
I enjoyed looking at the photos!
Glad you liked them! Tuesday seems to be visiting day.

Viewed "oldest to newest", it was pretty quiet for the first hour, then family showed up, then Emi Sunshine and her parents showed up. Pretty crowded. Wayne had finished staining that walnut body by then (he uses a water-based stain always, he says; I noticed it dries pretty quickly).

Close family that arrived mid-visit laid out a spread in the main house. That party is posted on EmiSunshine's facebook page.

I had visited over two hours when the ukulele and guitar came out of the cases, and made a quiet exit before vittles. Had been on the road two days and still had eight hours drive ahead of me.

There are a few more images ---> these of Jane working <--- I'm trying to develop to separate postings for the American Toolbox blog.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Another great series! I enjoyed watching Jane glue in the "X" bracing on the soundboard. I like the fact that she is apprenticing under her dad. A lot of knowledge and skill there to pass along.

Wayne played a house concert here in RVA a year ago last summer. He played both a dreadnought style WH guitar and also a just finished 12 fret OM style rosewood model with a fairly wide nut. A local customer took delivery on the OM after the show.

I will keep an eye out for the postings on the American Toolbox blog.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
A well written piece! Thanks for the link. I like the first paragraph. You had me going there for a moment! I plan to read Jayne's blog in my spare time. It is kind of strange to see her handling the "much revered" X-bracing like a child's "whirly bird" toy. Also, I enjoyed Emi Sunshine's reaction to WH's guitar playing... "Awesome!!!" Check your messages for a PM.

Bill