Tacoma vs. New Hartford quality?

DSUS2

Reaction score
If you were looking for a D40 would you have a preference between a New Hartford or Tacoma D40 and why? I'll admit my first choice is a Westerly D40 but I'd consider New Hartford based on what I have read about the quality there too-I don't know much about the quality of what came out of Tacoma. I notice the New Hartford and Tacoma D40s came with red spruce tops while it appears the tops out of Westerly may have been sitka. My understanding is that red spruce is the same thing as adirondack or similar so that seems desirable for a rhythm guitar player/ and open mic singer who wants a loud instrument that projects well. I know a lot of folks will say just play them and pick one that sounds good and feels good but since most of what I am looking at is online I don't have the option to play it first so I will likely have to make an educated guess unless I find one listed locally. Any input appreciated. Thank you.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've got a Tacoma F-40 and a New Hartford F-512, both very well made and playable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a D-40 from either shop.
Brad

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you find one that "speaks to you" just get it and don't worry about what it may say on the label.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I own 2 New Hartford Acoustic/Electrics. One F50R built in July of 2013 and one F512 built in April of 2014. Both have the DTAR pickup system in them which is Awesome because of the 18 volt System and the headroom it offers. They don't get that quack when you dig in like the 9 volt pickups do. I prefer the New Hartford's acoustic dynamics as well. I have played Guilds from Tacoma and they were awesome guitars. But my F50R blew me away so much when I received it that I opted to spend the Extra Money for a new F512 from New Hartford rather than spending less on a used Tacoma F512. Just as i suspected when the F512 arrived it was everything I thought it would be and more. By far the two best acoustics I have ever played or owned and I have had everything from Martins to Limited Taylors to Gibsons to handmade Breedloves, ect... . I know that the bracing in both of my New Hartfords is Red Spruce. Also know that Ren Ferguson took over Quality control at the Hartford plant before both of mine were made and that never hurts. That man is a legend when it comes to Acoustics. Bottom line both Tacoma and New Hartford Guilds are Excellent Guitars structure wise and tonally. But I can guarantee that I will never part with my two from New Hartford. They are the mark that I measure all others by. Just my 2 cents worth. You really can't go wrong with either. It's just a personal preference. Good Luck with your Hunt!!!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Though my LTG call name has Wesrerly in it, when I first became aware of guild, the only options to play locally were Tacomas. They were fantastic. Yesterday I played an NH F30 also fantastic.

Neal

Reaction score
For the best value for the dollar, I would go with a Tacoma D-40, which, I believe, is made to the same specs as the New Hartford D-40 (Adirondack top, tortoise binding).

Having said that, I own four NH Guilds, each purchased new, and am thrilled with all of them. I also owned a Tacoma F-30 that was a really nice guitar, though, so you canbuy either with confidence.

Just make sure that when you are looking at a New Hartford D-40 that you understand the distinction between the D-40 Standard and D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee. The Standard has a sitka struce top and a little less bling.

Neal

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I notice the New Hartford and Tacoma D40s came with red spruce tops while it appears the tops out of Westerly may have been sitka.
It was discussed in great detail in thet last year, there's no evidence Guild ever used anything but sitka before Tacoma.
In fact there's a compelling argument that they probably couldn't even get it as it had been over-harvested during WWII and didn't become available in commercial quantities again until the early '00's.
For the best value for the dollar, I would go with a Tacoma D-40, which, I believe, is made to the same specs as the New Hartford D-40 (Adirondack top, tortoise binding).
Actually, somebody has reported that New Hartford implemented a new top radius. I don't remember the specifics but I definitely remember the report.
Just make sure that when you are looking at a New Hartford D-40 that you understand the distinction between the D-40 Standard and D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee. The Standard has a sitka struce top and a little less bling.
Tacoma had 2 versions of the D40 as well: the Richie Havens signature models had sitka tops, but they did introduce adirondack to the brand on the Bluegrass Jubilees when they revived the "Bluegrass" names on the D40 and D50.

Last edited:

DSUS2

Reaction score
Thank you everyone-I appreciate the feedback and the detailed responses I've received so far on this post.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As the owner of two Tacoma Guilds and several from New Hartford (though no D40 from either site), I must say that I don't perceive a general difference in quality among them (except my Orpheum, which is aesthetically challenged but in other respects a cut above). Before FMIC shuttered the New Hartford plant last spring, I would have said that you would probably get a better deal on a Tacoma instrument, but now I have a sense that there's not much difference in price.

I don't know if electronics are a concern, but I do think that the DTAR Multisource pickup used in later New Hartford models is superior to the DTAR system used in Tacoma and (I believe) in the early New Hartford runs. I don't have a guitar with the Multisource system, but I got to hear some at LMG IV, and they sounded fantastic.

alpep

Reaction score
i have a d 55 from new hartford it is stellar
I have a d 55 from corona it is very nice

Dadaist

Reaction score
Dave's reply is spot on. Regardless of what factory and era they were manufactured in, each guitar is going to have it's own voice for whatever style you play in. As a side note, I've always found it advantageous to take a guitar playing friend when checking out a guitar. Only because, at least in my case, I can evaluate a guitar a bit better when the sound is coming at me as opposed to holding it against your chest.

Regarding the different factories and eras. Having owned two New Hartford Jumbos, an F-412 and F-50, as well as a "few" Coronas and Westerly guitars, and have played similar bodied Tacomas and even a Hoboken, I've always felt that the biggest difference between them was the feel and especially the weight of the instrument. New Hartford's Jumbos, to me, felt much lighter than a comparable Corona, Tacoma and especially some of the Westerly guitars.

David