birdseye rosewood on SF bass

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
well I made some nice finds around the holidays and here's a little of one of them. not sure the fate of this one yet, but check out this insane birdseye fretboard on this SF bass.

and the baby bird eyes

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
it also came with these (and the og case which is not pictured)

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is what I think of when I hear "Birdseye".

birdseye.jpg

Is there Birdseye Rosewood, or is that just a knot?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Is there Birdseye Rosewood, or is that just a knot?

Not sure if I used the right vocabulary or not but the fretboard is pretty wild, at least to me...albeit live and in the flesh, not just a picture...
does look a bit like robin (the bird) eyes (and beak), but that fourteenth fret almost looks like a human or "third" eye as well. I've spent way too much time staring into it.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Not sure if I used the right vocabulary or not but the fretboard is pretty wild, at least to me...albeit live and in the flesh, not just a picture...
does look a bit like robin (the bird) eyes (and beak), but that fourteenth fret almost looks like a human or "third" eye as well. I've spent way too much time staring into it.

Time well spent!!!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the world of wood, Birdseye is usually associated with maple, and the pick that Kurt posted is Birdseye. So, technically, it's really just a knot (a little more inside the trunk, not an actual knot).
Birdseyes are nascent buds that never fully developed into branches. So they don't have ripples extending away from them.

But visually, it is whatever you see in it.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In the world of wood, Birdseye is usually associated with maple, and the pick that Kurt posted is Birdseye. So, technically, it's really just a knot (a little more inside the trunk, not an actual knot).
Birdseyes are nascent buds that never fully developed into branches. So they don't have ripples extending away from them.

But visually, it is whatever you see in it.

Chris,
thanks for clarifying. I have another guitar with a maple neck that has similar grain pattern to that rosewood...as well as some of the birdseye you describe. I was aware it is typically a maple thing. the rosewood does not have the ripples or anything like that.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Call it what you want, I love it! That is a really pretty fretboard!

walrus

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Very nice fretboard! I've come to believe that Guild had some really nice pieces of rosewood during this period. Heres mine, its also quite crazy! (as you can see, I think I may need to get my frets recrowned!)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Whoa...Wisconsin dead yours is super crazy indeed. That one must be Brazillian RW?

wisconsindead

Reaction score
I have no clue. I would think its of the same species as yours no? That pic makes it look a lil more dull than it is. heres another pic in the sunlight.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am far from an expert on this subject but yours looks to be Brazilian if I had to guess. The one I posted could go either way

edwin

Reaction score
Wisconsindead's bass use to be mine and I held off on selling it for about 10 years, pretty much just because of that fingerboard. I kept thinking I would put it up for sale and then take it out of the case and change my mind. Aside from the great sound. I've never seen a fingerboard like that on a production bass. I'm so glad it's getting played these days.

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a gorgeous guitar whatever you call it.

I recognize wisconsindead's bass from a previous post. Love that fingerboard.