Replacement bass speakers for 2x12 Thunderbass Cab

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
not many options out there. it is pretty much between the:

Eminence Basslite S2012

and the:

Celestion BL12-200X

Any opinions on either of these, or any others?

traded away my Orange Terror bass amp so am now left with this : :excitement:

jthrel

Reaction score
I'm not very knowledgeable about the quality of the original speakers mounted in the Thunderbass vs a new replacement bass speakers ... but I had good luck getting a vintage Jensen bass speaker re-coned using Weber Speakers. The work was quality and A/B comparison of an original cone vs re-cone was very favorable.

http://www.tedweber.com/recone/

It's another option.

Al

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
jthrel's approach would give you a more "authentic" sound. Matching a lower powered amp with lower power capacity speakers.

Not sure how well Guild speaker cabs were designed back then regarding theil parameters and all that stuff.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. The cabinet seems rock solid for what it is, but although the original Oxford speakers of 1967 sound good for guitar, they will need to be replaced to play bass at any respectable volume...I do not imagine these particular Oxfords are worth re-coning, (and I actually question how good they sounded for bass back in 1967 when they were new). A pair of vintage Jensens would be tempting, but the cost of acquiring and re-coning a pair is likely above my short term budget for this. I will keep vintage Jensen bass speakers on the radar though, so thanks. As of now I am leaning towards the Celestions because I can get them pretty cheap, compared to the Eminence.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Steve, thanks very much. Webers are definetly an option I hadn't thought of. That would be the highest cost of them all, at slightly above the Eminence. I may try the Celestions first, coming in at a significant savings with a "friends and family discount" in addition to the lowest MSRP, and likley a good lithmus test for several basses, and the Guild cab. For sure the Guild bass humbucker will be a good test for all. I have barely used the amp at all but if all goes well once shes in rotation, I would not rule out the Webers or a vintage pair of speakers later. The Eminence come highly recommended (even though they are best for vented cabs) and are lightest weight, but I will likley order the Celestions within a few weeks or so, if I do not get any red flags first. Really happy I asked, thank you for the suggestions. I'd maybe just get the Webers i suppose. may need to hunt down some sound clips. JBL just wants to sell me a 12 inch bass speaker for my car, it seems.