Wayne Henderson at a Delaware house concert . . .

Sperry

Reaction score
Didn't know him from Adam. thought he was a guy with a regular job who picked on the side. But he sure had some good tips to help me adjust my guitar. And his guitar sounded better than the other two. And his picking was also better . . .

Turns out he's famous.

Here's some of his pickin': Back up and Push

idealassets

Reaction score
Did you notice the Virginia license plate that sais "LES PICK" (let's pick) hanging on the wall behind. And oh yes, I will be quitting guitar now, since he does it all so effortlessly. (well not really)

Craig

Sperry

Reaction score
I have metal finger picks (35 years old but still functional) and picked up an hour ago a metal thumb pick. There goes the nice top on my D4 . . .

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
He is a super luthier and builds his own guitars too. Or did at one time. he is pretty well known in the luthier industry.

idealassets

Reaction score
I have metal finger picks (35 years old but still functional) and picked up an hour ago a metal thumb pick. There goes the nice top on my D4 . . .
With metal picks I pick with my hand right over the soundhole, where the opening is the largest diameter. Does anyone else do this in attempts not to hit the guitar top?

Sperry

Reaction score
I found that I can keep my hand over the sound hole where the guitar sounds better without issue when wearing the picks.

When flat picking, I prefer to keep my hand closer to the bridge for control.

I played banjo for a while in my teens; guess I didn't remember as much as I thought I would.

Sperry

Reaction score
Robin Kessinger was the other half of the duo with Wayne Henderson. David Bromberg was in the audience, and played a couple songs with the duo near the end on his 1937 Martin.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wayne Henderson is a great, great player...but somewhat different in that he plays bluegrass with
the metal finger picks instead of a flatpick.

One if his builds is THE guitar to have...if you can get on his "wait" list...bringing him a Red Sox cap might help (LOL). His
daughter is working for/with him now and is a good builder as well.

The book "Clapton's Guitar" is a pleasant read and tells his story pretty well.

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The book "Clapton's Guitar" is a pleasant read and tells his story pretty well.

Agreed. I've never heard or played (well, YouTube heard) one of his guitars. His playing is very fine. The book makes you want to meet him. I could certainly enjoy hanging out in his workshop for a while.

Sperry

Reaction score
He said that if he builds all the guitars on his backlog, he's going to live forever. He doesn't charge more to discourage purchase, just charging what he needs for the guitar.

The aftermarket is pushing up the price. A guitar auctioned at his non-profit festival last year sold for $21,000. Not sure exactly, but I think an average guitar is $5,000. He's up to #572 (or so).

I didn't have a pick with me, and didn't really play his guitar when he put it in my hands. He plays #52, which is 35 years old, I think. Very beat up. Excellent sound.