Which One Would You Pick

ladytexan

Reaction score
Not sure what forum was the best one to start this thread, but LTGer-input is most welcomed and highly appreciated.

Hypothetically-speaking, of the following musician's toolkits do think is the best all-around (both acoustic and electric) one? Is there another brand you recommend? Prices are from Amazon. THANKS!

P.S. So hard to buy a gift for guitarists.....so many variables, i.e., electric, acoustics, strings, etc. :unsure:

1. Fender - $54.99

099-0526-000_img2-f52f45a5a4c0ae62debe33b20eac0c7f.jpg

2. GIGmate - $28.95

81tCjlXkPZL._SX522_.jpg

3. CruzTools GrooveTech Guitar Kit - $45.00

GTGTR1b.jpg

dane

Reaction score
In kit 1 the mirror is useless without a light.
In kit 2 the light is really not needed without a mirror.
Go for kit 3?

Peter

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I disagree Peter. I think a mirror is more critical; you can always find cheap, small, flashlight that can fit down the hole. I don't think the lack is a deal breaker. I'd go #1.

Edit: If it's for an acoustic player. For an electric player (the guitar, not the person :laughing: ), then #2 would be suffice.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I suppose I should start to do enough work on my own instruments to begin to understand why those tools are useful :)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the Fender kit too. I think I'd go with that one.

I like the Gigmate's pouches for the strings, but it's 6-string biased! :)

ladytexan

Reaction score
Thanks, Everyone, for your insights. I'm leaning towards the Fender one, as well.....except, I really like the thought of having a flashlight. About a year ago, I started a thread asking what items one should take when evaluating a guitar, and the two items that I had not thought of were a mirror and a flashlight. So, I'm seeing this toolkit as a take along for evaluating a guitar, too.

I agree with you, Charlie, the GIGmate is nice, too....for strings and a small pouch for picks, tuner, etc.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi Toni.

With miniature LED flashlights going for $4 to $10, I would add that to the Fender kit to accompany the mirror.

The rule is nice, as it can measure 64ths as well as millimeters, very useful for checking string height.

The feeler gauges are nice for checking string height at the nut.

It looks like the truss rod wrench is long enough to work with the Orpheums (if it is 4mm).

The capo, string winder and wire cutters are nice for string changes.

It looks like a good kit.

gibsonjunkie

Reaction score
Guild Total
I got #3 a while ago when it was an American Musical supply "New Day - New Deal". The tools are pretty well made.

dane

Reaction score
I disagree Peter.

And it's about time too! :playful:

Kidding aside Chris, you do have a valid point that by adding a small flashlight to kit #1 would be easy and a real plus. My personal preference though is to have a mirror with a LED light attached. It frees up one hand and takes much less coordination then trying to aim a light and mirror to see the back side of the braces. Here is the one I've been using for years. The 2" mirror really works well for me. :encouragement:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree Peter. :apple: I also have a mirror with integrated LED, but we have to work within the constraints of the choices.
My preferred choice would be one that has a miniaturized luthier with a miner's helmet who can fit into the soundhole.

Im hoping StewMac is working on it.