Corona D50-serial number

Reaction score
Going to look at a Corona built Guild D50 on Friday, never owned a Guild acoustic but know their reputation and have done a lot of research. Most people who own Corona Guilds say they are fine, if not great. I'm just glad it's close enough to play before I buy. Serial number is, CVBOOO234, hoping Hans can help me date it. Asking $800, and I doubt I can get them down any more as it has already been reduced. If things work out, I'll have a NGD post. I'm set on buying a Guild, this may or may not be "the One".
Steve

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
SRM1 said:
Going to look at a Corona built Guild D50 on Friday, never owned a Guild acoustic but know their reputation and have done a lot of research. Serial number is, CVBOOO234, hoping Hans can help me date it.

Hello Steve,

Welcome! That particular D-50 was made during the year 2002.

Good luck!

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
So I went and looked at the D50 today. It was a nice looking guitar, but the lack of good sound went beyond the dead strings, it just wasn't there. They had a China built D150 that sounded pretty darn good and $200 less, but I just don't want a Chinese Guild. So it was off to Guitar Center where I fell in love with a Gibson J15. It was included in the 15% off Black Friday special, and a great deal. Someday I hope to own a nice American built Guild, but that time is not now, however I am a very happy owner of a new Gibson J15, a great guitar at a great price.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Someday I hope to own a nice American built Guild, but that time is not now, however I am a very happy owner of a new Gibson J15, a great guitar at a great price.
Is it just me or did it suddenly become deafeningly silent here?
:highly_amused:
Ah well, guess you can't win 'em all, and welcome aboard and congrats, SRM!
Hope one of these days you'll get to hear a Guild that really floats your boat!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sometimes they just don't sound good. I bought a 90's D-55 a while back. Looked great but just sounded flat and dead. Luckily, I had bought it from Guitar Center, so the return was painless.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think our TwoCorgis also had a "dead" or "tight" D50 for a short while, not too long ago...
I think you're thinking of his New Hartford D40 Bluegrass.
He suspected the Adi top was just tight and he didn't expect to have the time to play it in.
His D50 was the recipient of one of the last neck resets performed in the Nashville shop.
In fact as I recall they kept the shop open for an extra 9 months just to finish that guitar, but he got a free re-finish out of it too.
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I do hope to someday own a Guild. A friend of mine told me about the three "G's" of guitars along time ago. I had a Guild electric for a while, but I'm an acoustic guy. I think the Gibson blew my guitar budget for a while, but I have a few guitars I can sell to help my next GAS attack, probably have to chill for 6 months of so to keep the wife happy, she was very cool about me buying the Gibson, she's a keeper.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Red spruce, a.k.a. Adirondack.

[edit: Oh, sorry... wait a minute... I'm certain this is true for Tacoma-era. Not at all certain about Corona...]

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Red spruce, a.k.a. Adirondack.
[edit: Oh, sorry... wait a minute... I'm certain this is true for Tacoma-era. Not at all certain about Corona...]
NO ADIRONDACK ever mentioned in specs until Tacoma, coincident with the introduction of the "Bluegrass" models.
Tacoma saw the introduction of 2 different models of D50 and D40. "Bluegrass" models got red spruce (Adirondack) tops.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Must be Sitka then! Sorry, I should've deleted my post entirely as for some reason I thought classicrecordings was talking about Tacoma.

Ronald Reagan

Reaction score
Yes, I do hope to someday own a Guild. A friend of mine told me about the three "G's" of guitars along time ago.

What are "the three g's"? I never heard of that before. I checked all of my guitars and basses and they only have one g.

Ron

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Must be Sitka then! Sorry, I should've deleted my post entirely as for some reason I thought classicrecordings was talking about Tacoma.
's ok, you just kick back'n moderate, leave the heavy lifting to us blowhards....:highly_amused: