any thoughts about a CV-1C?

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The CV-1C is part of the Contemporary Series, built for a couple of years in Tacoma and then abandoned with the move to New Hartford. The Contemporary Series had a novel and odd system for connecting the neck to the body; it's proved problematic for some (and many of the Contemporary Series guitars you see on the market are seconds, sold off when the Tacoma plant closed, some of which have serious issues).

Discussion of Contemporary Series guitars pops up here on a fairly regular basis. You'll find some people who really like the guitars, and also a couple of horror stories.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice playing. Video makes me crazy because it's so focused on the fretboard and I can't see the whole guitar or the headstock, but that's just ME. Most owners of the Contemporary Series guitars are extremely happy and satisfied with their guitars, but as Jeff said, there were some horrific problems with some of them. The good news is that because of the troubles and the way they were liquidated when Tacoma moved to New Hartford, they can many times be had for a really good price. Use due diligence when evaluating these guitars. If you search for the string "Train Wreck Neck" you turn up lots of posts about a specific problem with one of these guitars.

Thanks for sharing the video, Steve! :encouragement:

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
While you should be careful in all used purchases, be particularly vigilant if you find the serial number on the sticker in the soundhole has the
original serial number taped over...

Reaction score
FWIW, I played this guitar tonight. I was at Chuck Levin's for a Taylor Road Show Event and decided to ask if they had any NOS Guilds in the basement. :victorious: This is the same place where TX picked up the 50th anniversary D55, another NOS guitar sitting in the basement.

What's odd is that the ad indicates the guitar is used and the salesperson said it was NOS. All the paperwork was there, but I didn't look at it too closely.
I only played it for a minute, thought the action was high and when a large crowd formed around me while I played, I decided to put the guitar down.

https://reverb.com/item/5882192-guild-cv1c-2006-natural?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8qyIv9O42gIVUgeGCh3CPggQEAQYAyABEgJpovD_BwE&pla=1

docfishr

Reaction score
I have owned a CV-1 (F-40 body) and a CO-1c F-30 body). Both are excellent guitars. My only problem was my old fingers prefer 1 11/16 neck width and struggle a bit with the 1 3/4" that these contemporary series guitars have.
I Never regretted buying them. They sounded great.
I do sometimes regret selling them.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The necks on these can be reset but the people who know how to do the overly complicated neck/whatever "system" with the carbon fiber spider on the soundboard ..... I'm sure it's a good guitar and it would sound nice. I doubt that there's really too much different about the neck joint other than maybe that it's a bolt on which should be a good thing but....... sad that these guitars don't get more respect but if they'd done them right in the first place..... then maybe. This is as ambiguous as I can be in my current state...... :indecisiveness::very_drunk:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
guild-1979-d40

Um, the "used" part of this might refer to a branded stamp on the back of the headstock. That would indicate that the guitar went through MIRC. If this is the case, you need to run kicking and screaming (which I can explain if that's the case). You will also find a paper label taped over the usual serial number in the soundhole, as Mr. Ashton was suggesting earlier.

If I'm wrong, though, this could be a good opportunity. There isn't enough of a market really to know if that price on reverb is reasonable or not.

Reaction score
I took a couple of photos, including the label.

rj3jltY.jpg

Reaction score
Is that the same guitar that Steve played the video ?
Looks nice how much or did one of you by it ?

Sorry, I may have started my original post with a confusing sentence. The guitar in the video is different. I posted a listing of a same model guitar that I happened to play last night. (Didn't think it was worth starting a new thread.)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No worries it’s my bad as I see now I thought Steve was considering buying one , and my reply post was a total waste of time lol so Delete ! Lol

But your comment on action height hit the mark as we know what means Neck reset ! Lol

I’m starting to think that all this models came with a improper neck angle .

The thing is once that mounting block inside guitar was set it’s a done deal . The shims used between the block and top were not sized right on the few models I’ve seen adding to the issue .