If you wanted a simple acoustic amp... ?

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've got a handful of amps now. How that happened, I am not sure. But, the Carvin Vintage 16 and the Randall Commander II are for electrics. ( I must say my Ovation 12 string and 6 string into the Randall just makes them sound VERY full and deep ! ) I also have an old Peavey Backstage Chorus, and my wife just handed down a Fender Mustang I amp that looks to have modeling selections. I don't know if any of them are decent acoustic amps, to be honest. I don't play out, so it wouldn't need many watts. What would you suggest I use or buy ?

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi John,

Much like "favorite" guitar brands and models, amp recommendations are entirely subjective. Budget is a tremendous equalizer, followed by feature requirements.

At the very least, an acoustic amp adds a tweeter and supports a wider spectrum of frequencies than most electric amps, so if you have a guitar that sounds good plugged in to an electric amp it will sound great through an acoustic amp.

I have a Bose L1 Model II (PA) for performance and, as compact as it is, it is still a lot to haul around for jamming and small get togethers. I really wanted more of a "practice amp", something that I could just plug into and play, at will. A little over a year ago, after reading every review I could find, I test drove (almost) everything available. Spoiled by the clarity I get through the Bose, I had set my sights pretty high. I found a couple of outstanding amps, but I didn't want to spend a grand (or two), so that narrowed the field considerably. More than any other feature, I wanted an amp that "got out of the way", that is, I didn't want to hear the amp - just the instrument. That eliminated most of the least expensive of the offerings out there, as they all added some "color" to the output.

I landed on an Ultrasound DS4. Ironically, it was the last amp I heard (I had demoed everything else, first). Of course, I am convinced I made a great choice, but I have won consolation prize after consolation prize each time others have heard this amp. Musicians (not just guitarists) love this thing. The most common comment after "Your guitar(s) sound so good!" is (paraphrased) "Your amp is so transparent!". That is what I was after, and that is what I got. Have a look (and happy hunting): http://www.ultrasoundamps.com

jthrel

Reaction score
I landed on an Ultrasound DS4.

John and Christopher,

I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini. The Mini works well as a practice/small venue amp for my 6-string acoustics but does not do justice to my 12-string guitars. The D-Tar Multi-source pickup is mounted in all my electrified acoustics.

I have not demo'ed Christopher's suggested Ultrasound DS4 but the specs/features are impressive.

Christopher, how well does the Ultrasound handle the complexities and volume of your F-512? Are you using microphone(s) or an in-guitar pickup system to capture the guitar?

Al

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...how well does the Ultrasound handle the complexities and volume of your F-512? Are you using microphone(s) or an in-guitar pickup system to capture the guitar?

Al

When I was shopping, Al, the 12 string was one of the considerations that ruled out most of the smaller amps. To be fair, the larger Fishman amps (Artist, Performer) sounded OK. But the Ultrasound had that extra something (or, lack of something), the element of utter transparency, that I felt was lacking in the Fishman. One of the tests I used when demoing the acoustic amplifiers was to play music soundtracks through the amps. That can be pretty revealing.

That factor of amplifier transparency is especially significant to me in that I typically use a (so-called) "boutique" microphone to amplify my guitars. The mic requires a full 48-volts of phantom power, so I power the mic using a small, separate box made by Rolls. Call me fussy, but I don't want any "color" coming from the electronics.

Guitars (as well as vocals, for that matter) sound wonderful through the Ultrasound. My F-512 also has an LR Baggs Anthem system. Plugged in directly it sounds every bit as good as through my PA, though the Bose adds a subwoofer to the mix where the guitar amp simply has two 8-inch speakers.

If you get a chance, try one out. I don't know anyone who has that doesn't come away with a favorable impression.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A practice amp would probably be the target use for the amp. I've just started checking out reviews of stuff, so I can keep an eye out for deals on the used market. The Fishman Loudbox Mini was well regarded and is a decent price used. I also saw some good reviews on this one:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/AG100D

There are a few used ones at GC for $250 or less. How does it stack up ? Other than 20-20K hz frequency response, what should I look for ?

I see there are some Ultrasound amps in the used section as well, but not the DS4. Do you know anything about there other models ?

Last edited:

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The Fishman Loudbox amps are all good choices. I have no personal experience with the particular Carvin amp you are looking at, but I tried out the larger AG300 and it seemed to be a good amp, really versatile, tons of power, and lightweight. I know that the Ultrasound line contains several amps. The DS4 is by no means the only option, or even the best option. It just happened to have what I was looking for. Regarding quality, the entire line is equally regarded as "transparent". Wattage differs, number of input channels, speaker size and number (the smaller ones have a single speaker, the larger ones have two or more). Buying used, I would make certain everything is in working order, or get coverage for that magical moment that seems to occur once you get it home. While others' mileage may vary, I think purchasing through GC can be a very safe experience...they are really good about letting you test drive the equipment and if it isn't what you are looking for they are great about getting you what you need. At least, they have always been that way with me.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
So, might be a silly question, but, I'm assuming the now Dean Markley amp is the same? I have a Guild D26 with a Baggs M1A that I like to play, any input or experience there?

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Over on the AGF, the Ultrasounds are highly regarded; Chris likes them, thats enough for me!

Almost sprung for one, they are quite affordable (well, to me...wanted a Riviera Sedona Lite...not affordable :numbness:) Wound up with an
Ashdown Radiator that I traded an unused Strat for...still wonder if I did the right thing, she was just short of magical...cannot say
anything bad, certainly better than the Fishman I tried, maybe not as good as a Fender SF Champ through a Realistic Optimus 1
cab (but that's way esoteric)...I'd go for the Ultrasound!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The loudbox mini is a great choice. You might also consider just picking up a "smallish" powered P.A. speaker. You can find something with a 12" speaker and an HF driver at prices comparable to a small guitar amp, but they are more powerful. I picked one up for $200 and it can put out 360 watts.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Dave, don't you have an SWR Strawberry Blonde (sigh, pant!)

Postscript: When I picked up my (warranty replacement) D55 at New Hartford, I played it through a Genz Benz that Kim had
in his office. Wonderful, sublime. Apparently, that was the only place it sounded good. I was advised that the best acoustic
amp to buy (for a Guild?) was the Fender Acoustisonic 150. Looking into it I am guessing it is because of the digital Class IV style amp...one lesser Fender amp has that, though most of the amps seen on the 'net are not the digital amp.

Still, would have loved that Genz Benz that in the NH office, but it was just not to be...

Last edited:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dave, don't you have an SWR Strawberry Blonde (sigh, pant!)

No, Bill. I had a California Blonde, but I let it go. Too bulky and heavy, in spite of the good sound. I tried several amps, including a Genz Benz, and I found that the best one for K&K and other types of pickups was either the Loudbox mini or a small powered PA speaker. Others would sound good with one type of pickup but not the other.

Last edited:

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I wanted the Strawberry Blonde that appeared in the local store, but it just was not to be...she did seem a bit heavy. Probably better off..

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So, might be a silly question, but, I'm assuming the now Dean Markley amp is the same? I have a Guild D26 with a Baggs M1A that I like to play, any input or experience there?

Not a silly question, at all. Dean Markley builds the Ultrasounds.

Ultrasound_DS4.png

(For those that may not be aware) the M1A is a really advanced humbucker that mounts in the soundhole. It ("you") will definitely benefit by using an acoustic amp over an electric amp, even though the M1A is a magnetic pickup. There are so many good amps to choose from these days. If you can do it, test drive a few using your guitar with your pickup and see what you think.

Last edited:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I wanted the Strawberry Blonde that appeared in the local store, but it just was not to be...she did seem a bit heavy. Probably better off..
Sure is. I'm thinking of selling mine, just too heavy to schlep around to gigs. The Ultrasound looks interesting, but out of stock until the new year most places.
Brad

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...out of stock until the new year most places.
Brad

They are gaining popularity, that's for sure. And, in the interest of "enabling":

If you are willing to shop online, Shoreline Music is a super company to deal with. I purchased my 50 watt DS4 (now AG50-DS4) through them. They (as of this writing) have two models in stock, the "Practice Amp" 30 watt AG30 and the big 100 watt CP-100 (it is a beast).

To quote Shoreline:

As one of the oldest dealers of Ultrasound Amps, we obviously have lots of great things to say about them. But really, these great acoustic amps don't need our introduction—-they've spent the past several years speaking for themselves, all the while racking up tons of endorsements from guitarists we dig, including Muriel Anderson, Leo Kottke, Stephen Bennett, Duck Baker, Thom Bresh, John Standefer, and many more.
We're often asked to describe the tone of Ultrasound amplifiers, but this is a somewhat loaded question. That's because most acoustic guitar amps actually color the sound of your guitar, such that each amp has its own "signature tone". But Ultrasound amps have no such signature tone. When you plug in, the tone you hear is your guitar, and just your guitar. So while lots of acoustic amps may be loud, few, if any, are as transparent as Ultrasound amps. This feature alone sets them apart from most other acoustic amps. Their affordable sticker price is just icing on the cake.

Neal

Reaction score
OK. You got me, Christopher.

I just submitted an offer on a used Ultrasound AG-30 to carry to sessions at friends' houses. I have been lugging around a full-sized JBL Eon PA, which sounds great through an LR Baggs preamp, but is a bit much for impromptu get togethers.

The Ultrasound also has a line out to the PA, if I wish to use it as a monitor.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Neal

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

And the Cali Blonde is quite a bit larger and heavier than the Strawberry.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If you are willing to shop online, Shoreline Music is a super company to deal with. I purchased my 50 watt DS4 (now AG50-DS4) through them. They (as of this writing) have two models in stock, the "Practice Amp" 30 watt AG30 and the big 100 watt CP-100 (it is a beast).
Yeah, but I'd be interested in the DS4. No hurry, though, I'd like to get a chance to play one as I'm leaning toward the Loudbox Artist (and have played one and liked it, both sound and weight).
Brad