Att'n BikerDoc, Frono, and bluegrass fans...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Usually driving home kinda late on Thursday nights and frequently tune in to a smaller local PBS station. They have a bluegrass show from 7 to to 10:pm on Thursdays and even though I've never been a big bluegrass lover, I tune in for the change of pace and occasionally I hear some stuff I really like.
Anyway, heard this one last night and it’s the first time I’ve heard bluegrass that made my arm hairs stand up, and sent a thrill through my brain like the first time I heard “Let’s Go Together”, by the original Jefferson Starship, for some reason. (Why I flagged you, Jamie)
Banjo player’s so incredible I was thinking to myself,
“Is it ‘speedgrass’? ‘metalgrass’? 'Psychedelic bluegrass?' Whatever it is, I gotta find out who this is and buy it.” (Because I want to hear it on a real audio system from a high quality source)
I must be acquirin' the taste...:highly_amused:
Greensky Bluegrass, “Kerosene”.
While seaching for it, I noticed there’s several versions of it on Youtube, but I think this is the one I heard:

While searching I noticed they also cover “Light up or Leave me Alone” by Traffic and “Ain’t no Sunshine”
That might explain a lot.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks look down their noses at Bluegrass but whether you like it or not, you have to appreciate how talented the musicians are. It's certainly good road trip music, especially if you're driving alone.
*I won't say that I'm just sayin' because I know that Doc will read this eventually, but....:apple:

Longtime BG fan,
Joe

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Unusual that the guitar player is using a Santa Cruz drop-shoulder instead of a Martin-like dread...glad he is not a slave to fashion :laughing:

How many sets ya think he gets out of those strings...?

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
It was bluegrass that got me started playing guitar. My mother once told me that one of these days I'd admit that I truly am from Hillbilly stock; being born in W. Virginia and all. I remember my mom would have the music playing when I got home from school and I'd beg her to shut it off because I had friends coming over. I mean, what the hell would they think!!!!? Mom would just laugh, turn off the Hillbilly, but never failed to remind me of my roots.

I went to my first Bluegrass festival in the mid-70's and what surprised me, intrigued me, amazed me, was the musical talent that came forth was from folks who could barely read and write; straight out of the hills with nary a 4th grade education. And they were oh so eager to teach a newcomer.

I came upon a circle of musicians, each in turn, stepping into the circle taking a break between verses. I recall a gentlemen moved over for me, permitting to join the circle and telling me the key. As each musician took his turn in the circle and I watched in awe, my wonderment was shattered when I realized the music stopped, everyone who made up the circle took a step back. It was that obvious that I really didn't know how to play and I assume they had made some eye contact with one another to have a good laugh at my expense. And laugh they did; as did I. The gentlemen next to me slapped me on the back and called out, "Someday Soon son. Someday Soon." And then they broke into a bluegrass rendition of Someday Soon. Hell, there were 20 musicians in that circle and each one fell into playing that song as if they'd been playing together for decades. I will never forget that evening and Someday Soon became my favorite song.

Bluegrass music took a new direction back in the 70's as more and more college age students became followers/pickers and put their own spin on Bluegrass. The likes of Tony Rice, Del McCoury, J.D. Crowe, and Doc n' Merle Watson were to be admired/emulated. And then came New Grass Revival with Bella Fleck, Sam Bush, John Cowan and oh my God............Pat Flynn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aImP-FX8fM How far could you go with Bluegrass music? We've seen how far and yet there's still folks like Rhonda Vincent, thank God. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1QXM5uVwT8

I love it all!!!! Thanks for posting.

Peace

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
And here's a local group New Outlook. http://www.newoutlookbluegrass.com/
http://www.newoutlookbluegrass.com/music.html

I've known Lauri since she was 8 years old and I was 33 at the time. Her Dad and my little group Owl Creek, use to pick together. Laurie would sing along and we knew back then she'd one day make it a career. Brad is an instrumentalist and gives lessons in musical theory and any stringed instrument you care to learn.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks.

I enjoy listening to bluegrass and appreciate the skills required. My only beef is that in some places and in some circles it is all about the culture and not the music.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Thanks.

I enjoy listening to bluegrass and appreciate the skills required. My only beef is that in some places and in some circles it is all about the culture and not the music.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean; "beef" wise. Wouldn't you say that "the culture" behind Bluegrass music is still alive and well? The cultural roots of Rock n' Roll, Jazz, Blues, etc. are long gone if they ever really existed at all. Bluegrass is an extension of an existence (lifestyle) that is still prevalent in Appalachia. While Bluegrass has come a long way musically, it hasn't abandoned it's cultural roots completely. I think that's phenomenal. I look at Jazz, Blues, and Rock n' Roll as being born out of a human condition. Actually, I don't look at Jazz at all. :jaded: LOL

Peace

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great find, Al. These guys are fun to listen to.

Note that (edit: In the opening video) all the instruments are mic'd except for the guitar, which provides us with a fabulous demonstration of the performance of an under saddle transducer making that unmistakable "piezo quack".

Listen to the same group, same guitar played through a microphone (edit: In the video, below):

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not sure I understand what you mean; "beef" wise. Wouldn't you say that "the culture" behind Bluegrass music is still alive and well? The cultural roots of Rock n' Roll, Jazz, Blues, etc. are long gone if they ever really existed at all. Bluegrass is an extension of an existence (lifestyle) that is still prevalent in Appalachia. While Bluegrass has come a long way musically, it hasn't abandoned it's cultural roots completely. I think that's phenomenal. I look at Jazz, Blues, and Rock n' Roll as being born out of a human condition. Actually, I don't look at Jazz at all. :jaded: LOL

Peace

Maybe culture wasn't the best word, especially considering the origins. "Musical culture" might be a better term. I don't feel up to defining what I thought I was saying but the best example is to watch what happens if a bass player shows up with anything but an upright bass.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Maybe culture wasn't the best word, especially considering the origins. "Musical culture" might be a better term. I don't feel up to defining what I thought I was saying but the best example is to watch what happens if a bass player shows up with anything but an upright bass.

Oh I know what you mean. Maybe, "holier than thou musical snobs"? I get it.

Peace

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I thought the same thing would happen if you showed up without a D-18 or D-28 ? But that's just from my interweb readin' .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WHy am I gettin this funny feelin' that Bluegrassians might soon join Tower Girl and Politics on the list of places we don't wanna go?
:eek-new:
:witless: