Anyone pick up a new Aristocrat? Anyone know the plan for Guild electrics post sale?

SemiHollowCarrot

Reaction score
I played an M75 Aristocrat in NY recently and it seemed like a solid instrument but couldn't otherwise put much time into it. I did come away feeling that the pups were INCREDIBLY bright. Anyone have similar impressions? Any ideas how to tame them? Pot change possibly?

Were the vintage M75s carve/dome topped? I can't recall from my experience but IIRC the Newark model I tried in NYC was flat top.

Anyone know if the electric line will continue post sale?

griehund

Reaction score
I played an M75 Aristocrat in NY recently and it seemed like a solid instrument but couldn't otherwise put much time into it. I did come away feeling that the pups were INCREDIBLY bright. Anyone have similar impressions? Any ideas how to tame them? Pot change possibly?

Were the vintage M75s carve/dome topped? I can't recall from my experience but IIRC the Newark model I tried in NYC was flat top.

Just got this link in my email today. Specs say lam top.

http://guildguitars.com/g/m75-arist..._term=0_233188518b-a7f27d0d9c-224631461#video

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Really? Pretty sure they were always laminated. Spruce outer layer, definitely arched top, both the originals and the Newark Street ones.

jcwu

Reaction score
Laminate doesn't mean it can't be arched. ES 335 are laminate and have arched tops.

Far as I understand, a laminate arched top is arched by press. A carved arched top is arched by carving out of a solid piece of wood. So there is a difference between carved and laminate archtops.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

The most reliable rumors say that the Korean made Newark Street line of electrics will continue in production and the line will be expanded with additional models. Furthermore there will be electric guitars made in California. What that means is unclear but the expectation is a continuation of the American Patriarch line and possibly limited production like the GSR lines.

Not sure what you mean by "post sale" but if you mean the sale of Guild by Fender to Cordoba then that has been a done deal for a few months now. (Casual names used for each of the entities involved.)

Synchro

Reaction score

I played one a few months ago and found it too bright for my tastes/needs. I loved the guitar itself, but think I'd prefer it with mini hums.

To the best of my knowledge the Newark Street series will continue with the new ownership.

Synchro

Reaction score
Yes they will with a couple of possible additions to the line!

I hope there are no additions, I'm running out of redundant organs to sell. :) Actually, I'm really looking forward to seeing anything new they have to offer. The NS line is in a unique position to capture market share if they stick with the formula. Selling decent quality guitars for $1,100 (street) is brilliant. I'd buy an M-75 with humbuckers in a heartbeat. I'd also be interested in reports of other historic Guild electrics. I'd consider a Blues Bird, that's for certain.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The minibucker bridge pup is underwound drastically. CMG knows and is acting accordingly, but I don't have any special knowledge.

Zelja

Reaction score

I played one a few months ago and found it too bright for my tastes/needs. I loved the guitar itself, but think I'd prefer it with mini hums.

I found the bridge to be bright which is not necessarily a problem in itself but I found it to be a "nasty bright" in a certain freq range. The neck I found to be a bit woofy & didn't balance with the bridge particularly well.

I have sent them to get redone. I don't believe it just the coil winding that's an issue but the magnets as well. The magnets in the re-issues, though they are some sort of Alnico, seem to be wider & thicker than the magnets in the vintage Franz pickups I have got and that will play a large part in how they sound.

NYWolf

Reaction score
I for one really hoping there will be an expansion of American made archtops electrics line. NS are decent guitars, yes, but basically just student models. I think American made ones in the price range up to $3500 would be considered very affordable professional jazz/blues guitars.

jcwu

Reaction score
I for one really hoping there will be an expansion of American made archtops electrics line. NS are decent guitars, yes, but basically just student models. I think American made ones in the price range up to $3500 would be considered very affordable professional jazz/blues guitars.

If guitars selling for just under $1k are considered student guitars...either students are very wealthy these days, or Guild is branching out of the workingman's guitar market!