Snotless #3 joins the land of broken toys...

LateStart

Reaction score
It's like adopting 3-legged dogs and blind cats... I can't seem to help myself... but this is the last one. This guitar is a bit of the opposite of the F20...

Top is weathered and aged, but very much intact. Had a Richie Havens style pick guard. It looks like original pattern on the top, but the actual pick guard is cheap/cheesy, so I took it off. Will clean up and lightly sand the top and then figure out next steps.

No belly or cracks on the top. No TRC. Frets look fine. Headstock some how got screwed up, I will re-sand and think about options to fix. Tuners are fine. No loose braces as far as I can tell. Bridge looks great. Saddle and nut will be replaced, so current one's don't matter.

The neck angle is *BAD*; this will be the first guitar for my neck-reset learning process. Neck looks like it may have been off before - not a good sign... I feel slightly like the bad neighbor kid in Toy Story who tortures the dolls.... :pride:

The truss rod may not be not working... needs more inspection. Back is fine, a slight crack on the center seam. The only 'surprise' in the purchase process is the ugly crack in the upper bout on the side. Not in seller's description. I am going to chalk it up to shipping but I have sent an email inquiring... have to believe in the goodness of mankind...

Despite all of the above, it sounds REALLY good. Great tone and sustain. I have three D-35's from early 70's now. The 2 best will get sold after they are in best shape possible. The most snotless will stay. Remains to be seen how it all turns out.

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
OK...

it it is definitely snotless, particularly the headstock. What in the world happened there, do you think?

But it has an intact headstock, for crying out loud. And the top looks absolutely pristine (once the pick guards are restored, anyway). And LOTS of guitars need a neck reset...well maybe not two.

You, sir, are a worthy snotless adversary, but I think the F-20 will win the day.

Oh, and by the way. I own a three-legged dog. For real. We prefer to use the term "tripod".

Neal

JimmyD

Reaction score
My luthier says it's always best if his clients/owners are not there when the reset happens. Other than a few beauty marks she looks just fine.....nothing a little neck wringin' won't fix. Cool!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
LS, you're an adventurous sort. We've already seen that. Looks like a tragic guitar but.... the best way to learn how to fix something is to take it apart. You're doing really well so far. I love these projects! Keep us posted on this rehab!!

p.s. - I really love the upside down Breedlove box!! Love those guitars!!

Last edited:

LateStart

Reaction score
So.. I am thinking about using one of the snotlesses as a test run for installing binding before trying to fix the F-20. Any opinions on a upgrade binding for a d-35? Black Ivoroid? Purfling? Wood?

Anyone else here installed their own bindings?

What about these: Laminated Wood and Natural Wood.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Your efforts to rehabilitate are very commendable! Good luck with both projects!

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seems like a worthy adventure to me. Salvaging old Westetly dreads, what enterprise could be better?

TVeye

Reaction score
Headstock looks like it suffered some sort of chemical burn. A very worthy and doable project though.

mario1956

Reaction score
:witless: It's beautiful!! Is that wood putty beneath the bass E string? This one would be an excellent candidate for a refinish also........looks like someone has already tried to do something to the top. That may be what happened to the headstock but that would be merely conjecture. You may be able to find an "aftermarket" decal logo too if you wanted to go that far.
As far as the binding goes I like the tortiose binding on mahogany guitars. My Martin D-18 has that and I find it quite attractive.
I've removed and installed new binding on a old trashed Yairi guitar a few years ago it's not hard a all. I bought all my supplies from Stewmac and LMII. All you need is a little patience and the right tools.
You say it's the last one but we'll see how far that goes especially if you sell some of your stock.

Last edited:

LateStart

Reaction score
#3 Loses her neck...

Well... the rebirthing is begun...

Good news --

The neck came off *fairly* easily with heat gun and steam. No special jig, just clamps and patience. The joint was very very clean, just a bit of clean up of glue required.

Interesting fact - the 15th fret DID NOT align with the joint; the holes went into the neck block by about 2/16th! I think the heat and steam still ended up in the right place and worked, but there was a classic non-working assumption.

IMG_4050 by JW, on Flickr

IMG_4046 by JW, on Flickr

IMG_4049 by JW, on Flickr

The "Learning" --

Definitely some cosmetic bruises in the process, mainly from the steaming process. I choose this guitar because it doesn't matter at all. But there will be a chance to learn about touching up stain and lacquer. Future projects I will take a lot more care.

Will be taking a break before starting the 'carving' of the neck to create the new angle. More to come next week or so.

Last edited:

Opsimath

Reaction score
Looks like a fun project. Wish I had time (and tools, and know-how) to try something like this. May I ask, why the term "snotless"? I don't think I understand.

Update: Never mind, I think I found it.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I look forward to seeing the end result!! What a great project. Thanks for sharing it!!!

I have my 79 D25ch st Dallas Guitar Repair right now getting a bridge re-glue and praying she doesn't need s re-set... Best sounding guitar I have ever owned so if a re-set is needed a re-set it will get. Just don't have the cajones to tackle it myself!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Very cool . One day I'll be pulling one apart . Have fun I'll be watching as the news comes in and photos ;)

LateStart

Reaction score
Really fun so far; no one will mistake me or this project for what an *actual* trained luthier does but that's not the point. If I end up with a good-sounding, well-playing git with tons of 'mojo', I will be perfectly satisfied and will do a better job on the next one in the queue.

Br1ck

Reaction score
You get a ton of brownie points for even attempting this. Good luck with the project.