Do you pay MSRP for an amp?

The Anal Finn

Reaction score
I played acoustic exclusively for a couple of decades and just starting playing electric about a year ago. I'm currently using a Yamaha THR10 practice amp but I think I'm going to buy a 5w Swart. (Still haven't decided on the model.) I know that street price is well below MSRP for a guitar. Does the same hold true for an amp?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As with anything, it's best to shop around and do your homework. It's unlikely that any musical item goes for its MSRP, but start Googling that model to find what it's going for and where.
if they don't use retailers and only sell it themselves, then you may have to pay full price for it. Retailers like to be able to show how great a deal it is, so are almost always below MSRP.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There are so many used guitars and amps out in the world that it makes little sense to buy new, or to pay MSRP if buying new.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I did a quickie search on Swart Atomic Jr. amps (assuming that was the 5w you're talking about.)
since they are a small, custom builder, it may be tough finding a deal. The dealers seem to have the same price as Swart's website. When there is a limited supply, and it's a small, boutique maker, then, yes, you usually have to pay what they want, there just isn't enough margin for their dealers to come down much, if any.
You can always try the used market if you must have a Swart and want to find a deal.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
My knee jerk reaction is that anything that is produced in sufficient quantity with wide distribution (and for sale in the USA) can be found for a 30%-40% discount from MSRP. That does not apply to things that are only available from one source, or the manufacturer, in which case the advertised price is what you will pay. Search engines are your friend but you may actually have few choices or no price competition.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There are so many used guitars and amps out in the world that it makes little sense to buy new, or to pay MSRP if buying new.

My thoughts exactly. Especially in the case of something like a Swart or other well-made, "boutique" amp - not scary at all buying a quality item like that second hand. I wouldn't buy a Chinese made, crap-o-lux cheapo pcb amp like a new Vox new, and certainly not second hand, but a well-preserved boutique amp is the best amp deal out there IMO.

Just a couple of months ago, I got an almost-new Victoria Victorilux 3X10 amp for a thousand euros less than what they go for new over here - so I paid about as much as I would for a brand new Fender tweed bassman reissue, and the Vic is SO much better in every conceivable way!

I don't have a single amp I bought new in a store.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Especially in the case of something like a Swart or other well-made, "boutique" amp - not scary at all buying a quality item like that second hand. I wouldn't buy a Chinese made, crap-o-lux cheapo pcb amp like a new Vox new, and certainly not second hand, but a well-preserved boutique amp is the best amp deal out there IMO.

Just a couple of months ago, I got an almost-new Victoria Victorilux 3X10 amp for a thousand euros less than what they go for new over here - so I paid about as much as I would for a brand new Fender tweed bassman reissue, and the Vic is SO much better in every conceivable way!

I don't have a single amp I bought new in a store.

Same sort of thing here, Walter. I had a guitar up on local CL. A guy shows up with a pristine Dr Z Carmen Ghia (surf green, no less) and wants to trade. I have not regretted that swap for a moment.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And check the usual sources: Reverb, eBay, The Gear Page forum...
You can find used deals, and with the boutique nature of these, it's unlikely that they'll have been abused.