I got a Pilot Pro yesterday, and have some questions

Reaction score
This is a 1994,but the pots are set up strange. On the top row, the first pot closest to the neck is a pan. When I turn it toward the jazz pickup, it actually favors the precision.
The second pot on the top row is for volume.
on the bottom, the pot closest to the neck is the bass boost cut; closest to bridge is treble.
From what I have read, the stock preamp was V/V/T/T setup. I've looked at the inside, and though I wouldn't know what exactly I'm looking at, it's super clean. I read the article floating around about the history of the pilot, which seems to confirm the original specs that I've been told. Could someone identify if mine has the original preamp if I post a pic? Thanks in advance yall.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. I suspect what you want is for Grot, owner of many Pilots, to come along.

I make no claim whatsoever that my Pilot (which is '80's and probably not Pro) is at all comparable but the top knob for me controls the volume of the P, the second the J and the third is a tone control that applies to whatever mix the others have set. Good thing, too because I favor one PU basses because even then I get confused by the controls :)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. I suspect what you want is for Grot, owner of many Pilots, to come along.

I make no claim whatsoever that my Pilot (which is '80's and probably not Pro) is at all comparable but the top knob for me controls the volume of the P, the second the J and the third is a tone control that applies to whatever mix the others have set. Good thing, too because I favor one PU basses because even then I get confused by the controls :)

And another welcome to LTG from a Pilot bass lover!

Neither of my Pilots are the Pro model, but I love them nonetheless. You don't see many of the Pro models at all, but here's a picture of member Krysh playing Kim Keller's Pilot Pro with Bluesypicky at LMG II (taken by our own Bill Ashton).

15641715357_86edea103b_b.jpg

Note the gold hardware and different headstock. I seem to remember some of them having block inlays and ebony fretboards, but this particular one doesn't appear to have either. We need Grot, purveyor of all things Pilot, to come clear this up!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm pretty sure they were V/V/T/T with the tones having some sort of pre-amp EQ. All I know is when you turn up the bass EQ the walls rumble!

Interesting about the Pan knob and single Volume knob. It could very well be it a special request and was factory wired that way. I have two Pro's, a 4-string and a 5-string. I would have to check them out but since they're in the "Vault" I don't have instant access to them.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and info yall! I've only heard it through a headphone amp so far, but it's very comfortable to play and I love the neck. I have a feeling someone in the past changed the pots, or something else that would cause them to redo the wiring, and they did it weird. Even if it came from the factory with a pan/V/T/T setup, the layout is not normal. Turning the pan towards a pickup should turn it up, not down. And if I think every bass I've played has the treble knob in front of the bass knob. Anyway, so sounds good, just wondering what I have! Thanks again. I like that black pilot, too! Super nice

jte

Reaction score
Hey, I just replied to your Talk Bass post, but bottom line is I think the pre's been replaced.

Welcome to LTG!

jte